Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should these refugees
Go back home and either face death at the hands of political militia or very possibly starve to death. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Stay in south africa and face brutality from angry locals. 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 11

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2008, 5:58 am

All anyone has to do is want it bad enough..

I would rather die fighting for my country
than run like a coward with my hands out
begging for mercy

wouldnt you?

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 11:12 am

as i say, it's very easy for you to say that from your safe and comfortable existence. but very well.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

RecoveryBoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2008, 11:25 am

Lets say the natives in south africa had to start slaughtering white former colonial powers such as myself would i: run away from my place of birth run from the land that i was conceived and born on or would i fight for the place that i live. I would fight most certainly. Thank god here where i live in kwamakutha i'm rather safe. But however many high class whites in previously white classified areas may face the brutality of the people some day just as zimbabwean refugees are both in there country and the country that they hope to find refuge in. So if it was me being chased outta my land i would fight.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 5:21 pm

It depends if you can fight. I live in a safe country so couldn't say.

If I had nothing to lose then yes I think you have to. But the thing is if you are an average Zimbabwean how do you fight the government. If you try anything you or your family will probably be arrested or be beaten up by his goons.

Violence never solves anything, it normally just makes things worse. But yeah at the end of the day it is a last resort that eventually has to be used.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:09 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fred2670 wrote:
Letsgethigh wrote:
Anyone got any views or insights into the situation in zim. Here in south africa the locals(mainly of zulu origin) are attacking, killing and chasing zimbabwean political and economical refugees. Accusing them of taking jobs from the people and contributing towards crime in SA. Whats your take?

I agree with the Zulus
kick them out or kill them

If the Zimbabwean refugees are too weak
or cowardly to make the necessary changes
in their own country, what gives them the
right to take advantage of another?

Whoa. You are one screwed up kid. OK, I'll explain this in terms of your twisted world-view: ZANU-PF (Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's party) is more or less what you imagine the Republicans to be, whereas the MDC is what you believe Democrats are. MDC supporters are being intimidated and beaten by ZANU-PF militia. They are trying to avoid getting killed by fleeing to South Africa. And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, SA somewhat "owes" the rest of the continent for taking in its refugees during apartheid.

No, the Republicans will never be as inhuman as ZANU-PF.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:15 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Historically I thought the Democrats were the ones who were beating up the blacks in America. ;)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:21 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Oh, I know that. I was just describing the situation in Zimbabwe according to Fred's very bizarre views of American politics. He takes a pseudo-Marxist class-warfare interpretation, and comes off as rather populist. Look for other debates he's been involved in to get a sense of how distorted many of his opinions are.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 8:01 pm

Contributing to crime? Isn't South Africa already full of crime?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 8:24 pm

Cyanide wrote:

Not really. South Africa is among the more stable and peaceful countries in Africa (OK, admittedly, that's not saying much). They are recognized as a leader in their region, but their failure to act as such recently is part of why the Zimbabwe crisis has gotten so out of hand. SA refused to step in or show leadership on the issue, so no one really knew what to do and the situation spiraled out of control.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2008, 10:56 pm

Orwell wrote:
I was just describing the situation in Zimbabwe
according to Fred's very bizarre views..

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

compared to this my "bizarre" views
are far fetched freakish and flawed?

I think you need to double your dosage

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:06 am

Perhaps getting rid of the Smith government and changing its name from Rhodesia wasn't the best outcome :?

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2008, 2:24 am

Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Not really. South Africa is among the more stable and peaceful countries in Africa (OK, admittedly, that's not saying much). They are recognized as a leader in their region, but their failure to act as such recently is part of why the Zimbabwe crisis has gotten so out of hand. SA refused to step in or show leadership on the issue, so no one really knew what to do and the situation spiraled out of control.

South Africa has the highest crime rate in the world. I think we are talking about two different things. SA has a large, stable economy but very high civilian crime rate.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 5:24 am

peebo wrote:
as i say, it's very easy for you to say that from your safe and comfortable existence. but very well.

Exactly. I'm rather tired of these spoiled brats chastising Third World people from the comfort and safety of the West. What would they really do if they were destitute and unarmed against an army and paramilitary thugs? I suspect they would wet themselves, but talk is cheap.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

viska
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:37 pm

I've been following this story in the news over the past few months and I find it fascinating. A Z$ 500,000,000 bill that only purchases a bottle of beer. Life expectancies dropping to mid 20s. I think anyone living in Zimbabwe should do whatever they can to get the hell out of there, even if it means giving up the status of being a billionaire. ;)

viska
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:43 pm

Fred: There's virtually nothing to love about a country that's being run into the ground (350,000% inflation, obviously rigged elections, government sanctioned violence) by a pretty-much dictator who refuses to let go of his power while the rest of Africa turns a blind eye. As a citizen of Zimbabwe, the pragmatic choice is to flee. It doesn't make you weak, just smart. Even for something that seems innocent to someone living in the first world, such as publicly displaying support for the opposition political party, will draw the attention of Mugabe's cronies who will beat you up or kill you without a second thought. You sound ill-informed of the situation, I recommend reading more about it.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2008, 10:10 pm

I find it outrageous that the people who are denouncing the Zimbabweans in South Africa really mean it.

Seriously, just because the Limpopo River is there, what does that mean?

Let's divide my town, wonderful shall we?

We can call this Scudderland

We can call this part Foxenia

and this part Ravenswana

now we have a problem.

Scudderland is the most developed country, and all of the people from Foxenia are going there, because of Zimbabwean style meltdown.

Now, let's get clubs and sticks and murder all of those people woohoo.

Mbeki, you should stop sleeping, otherwise you will wake up in hell.