Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:23 pm

Aaaahhh! Opulence! 8O

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:28 pm

Does the Middle East produce anything other than oil? Seriously, let's build some nuclear power plants so we don't have to deal with these crazies anymore.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:34 pm

Orwell wrote:
Does the Middle East produce anything other than oil? Seriously, let's build some nuclear power plants so we don't have to deal with these crazies anymore.

How are nuclear power plants going to reduce the cost of transportation?

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:47 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:49 pm

Obres wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I liked the first and third of that series. :)

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:50 pm

Ragtime wrote:

Thanks, Prince.

Cause, you know, American companies and high government officials don't make a cent off rising gas prices

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:57 pm

"As you know, America is the only country that uses gasoline..."

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:01 pm

We need sustainable biofuel and hybrid cars that can go at least a 100 miles or so on only their batteries.

IMO if you drive an SUV or pick-up and don't really need them you are driving with Bin Laden.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:09 pm

Obres wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Thanks, Prince.

Cause, you know, American companies and high government officials don't make a cent off rising gas prices

That's right. It goes up when OPEC's price-per-barrel goes up, proportionally.

How many American oil executives do you know with diamond-covered sports cars?

I suppose when OPEC raises its prices, the oil companies should compensate for us consumers by
making zero profit, thus going out of business, thus stranding every American car.
Ya, brilliant. :doh:

Last edited by Ragtime on 23 May 2008, 3:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:12 pm

Odin wrote:
We need sustainable biofuel and hybrid cars that can go at least a 100 miles or so on only their batteries.

IMO if you drive an SUV or pick-up and don't really need them you are driving with Bin Laden.

Or, we could try using our own oil. Just a thought.

Oh, wait! Polar bears have recently been added to the Endangered Species list --
now, I wonder who could have pushed for that, and why?
Maybe the environmentalist wackos lobbying to prevent our country from drilling in ANWAR?
:wink:

Last edited by Ragtime on 23 May 2008, 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:13 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
"As you know, America is the only country that uses gasoline..."

We have the technology today to create an infrastructure that is for the most part free of fossil fuels. The problem is the Oil, Automobile, Coal, and Natural Gas industries have vested interests in the status quo. The only thing corporations care about is maximizing profits even if they have to manipulate governments to do so. And a carbon-neutral infrastructure is bad for the profits of Big Oil and Big Coal, even though it would be good for many other companies in other industries that don't have the deep pockets Exxon-Mobil has for bribing politicians and manipulating public opinion. The emerging "Green" sector will be a powerful source of economic progress and brilliant entrepreneurialism, but it is bad for the profits of the established economic powers like Big Oil, so the economic establishment is determined to protect the status quo in order to defend their profits.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:21 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

The energy from nuclear power plants could be used to split water, which then could be used in hydrogen fuel cells. Fuel cell cars have a lot of advantages over petroleum-driven internal combustion engines, such as decreased maintenance costs, better safety, and, most obviously, less pollution.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:26 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Odin wrote:

Or, we could try using our own oil. Just a thought.

Oh, wait! Polar bears have recently been added to the Endangered Species list --
now, I wonder who could have pushed for that, and why?
Maybe the environmentalist wackos lobbying to prevent our country from drilling in ANWAR?

That is what Big Oil wants you to think, but in reality there isn't enough oil, US oil production peaked in the 70s, and that's not because of some left-wing conspiracy, it's because our domestic oil is running out. Once about half the oil in an area is removed that area's oil production starts to decline. Global oil production is peaking RIGHT NOW, that's why oil prices are so high (but OPEC will never admit it), oil production can't keep up with economic growth in China and India. Supply and demand doesn't work because even if the rising oil prices make it feasible to get oil in more expensive ways that will only slow the post-peak decline in production. Drilling ANWAR is like putting a band-aid on a cut major artery, we need to go beyond oil, indeed, supply and demand will FORCE us to go beyond oil.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:27 pm

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

The energy from nuclear power plants could be used to split water, which then could be used in hydrogen fuel cells. Fuel cell cars have a lot of advantages over petroleum-driven internal combustion engines, such as decreased maintenance costs, better safety, and, most obviously, less pollution.

Better idea, use batteries and thus use the electricity directly instead of wasting energy making hydrogen.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 May 2008, 3:33 pm

the government should tax gas more heavily and provide perks like free parking in front of meters and toll waivers for people driving electric cars. Even if we did drill in ANWAR, it wouldn't support the entire US for even a year before being sucked dry. Plus its a wildlife reserve.