Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 1:14 am

Am I the only one tired of seeing commercials telling people to support negro college funds, or female funds but nothing for white males as that would either be sexist or racist (depending on which it is)? Yes I know those people have been opposed for centuries, and no Im not racist/sexist, but I really dont get this, isnt that just reverse descrimination.

PS Also on this trend why its there BET and African-American only awards, not to mention NAACP and female associations. :puts flame-proof jacket on:

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 1:36 am

Endersdragon wrote:
Am I the only one tired of seeing commercials telling people to support negro college funds, or female funds but nothing for white males as that would either be sexist or racist (depending on which it is)? Yes I know those people have been opposed for centuries, and no Im not racist/sexist, but I really dont get this, isnt that just reverse descrimination.

PS Also on this trend why its there BET and African-American only awards, not to mention NAACP and female associations. :puts flame-proof jacket on:

Maybe you should apply for one of those college scholarships, and sue them for discrimination when you get rejected? :lol: If I ever have that kind of free time, I'll have to see if there are any white male scholarshps from white advocacy groups like the NAAWP.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 1:45 am

The majority never gets support.

What I mean by that is: we have this site for Aspergers/Autism, but do you see a "neuro-typical support" site? Nope. This is because the majority's role is generally as a pace-setter or standards-setter, and it's up to the other groups to catch up. This is the case for Aspergers and I assume this formula can be applied to larger demographics.

Another problem is that any white-male-only group would automatically be grouped with the hate groups like KKK or Neo-Nazis, making it instantly tainted in the public's eye. Any white male group would be pigeon-holed like that reguardless of their beliefs or agenda.

Somebody set us up the bomb! How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us!

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 1:53 am

I love your idea Sean but I doubt it would work.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 3:07 am

It makes sense to help any disadvanteged group get qualifications and hopefully good employment. Id change the name from African-American to that of a 'regeneration grant' and do away with seperate awards that are patronising imo and have something like that what we have here where the poorer areas are singled out for grants. In the US this would still mean the majority of grants are for those of African origin in reality but it is made clear to include other disadvantaged folks as well. It would be silly to promote white women ahead of white males into scholarship here because the majority of students and graduates here are young women.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 7:23 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
The majority never gets support.

What I mean by that is: we have this site for Aspergers/Autism, but do you see a "neuro-typical support" site? Nope. This is because the majority's role is generally as a pace-setter or standards-setter, and it's up to the other groups to catch up. This is the case for Aspergers and I assume this formula can be applied to larger demographics.

Another problem is that any white-male-only group would automatically be grouped with the hate groups like KKK or Neo-Nazis, making it instantly tainted in the public's eye. Any white male group would be pigeon-holed like that reguardless of their beliefs or agenda.

Somebody set us up the bomb! How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us!

http://isnt.autistics.org/ :P

Seriously, though, I think it's based on the fact that, deomgraphically, certain groups are at a financial disadvantage on average. Women still make les money on average for the exact same work as men, for example. If white males start to make less money than everyone else, they'll probably start getting extra consideration.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 8:00 am

Serissa wrote:
If white males start to make less money than everyone else, they'll probably start getting extra consideration.

This is the case in Glasgow and the west of scotland. We are the poorest city in Britain and most of us are white males but it isnt the done thing right now to single out white males for help. I think it makes more sense to help out those of low income whatever the race or gender because they are generally the underacheivers/disadvantaged the world over rather than single out groups or groups singling out themselves.

Women are more likely to stay at home and look after children etc so that skews the results but they are still on average better off than and make up more students than the white males in the west of scotland at least. It just isnt in to be a white male right now since a minority of them hold most of the power. Maybe males are more driven in and handle the work side of things better after all girls mature earlier and get better school results on average than boys but no-ones saying that's because boys are disadvantaged.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 8:02 am

Both groups you mention are not only economically depressed but economically depressed due to the direct unthinkable actions of white males, historically. The enslavement, in the United States, of African Americans and the subsequent decades of institutionalized and legalized separatism (Rosa Parks, after all, only died yesterday) along with the lack of any legal status for women at all through the 19th century (Women don't receive national suffrage until 1920, fifty-three years after black males had full national voting rights. In the 19th century, married women in the United States possessed no property of their own and had no real legal protection from the abuses of their spouses.) leaves a legacy that, along with continuing stereotyping and discrimination, requires a wall of protection and support.

Why are there special schools for people on the autism spectrum? There aren't special schools for NTs. The former group needs, in many instances, the protection and support that is provided. The latter gorup does not.

I know that it is difficult, sometimes, for us to put ourselves in someone else's place, but try to view the history of the matter as an historical truth and try to understand that it is not that long ago and its effects extend, unfairly handicapping millions of innocent people, to the current day.

You know the old joke? Why is there a Mothers' Day and a Fathers' Day, but no Children's Day? Answer: Every day is Children's Day.

While some individuals may not be in great shape (some children, after all, are abused), White Males are already the advantaged class.

And I say all this as a white male, and hardly a "bleeding heart liberal."

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 1:27 pm

I wonder if theres Asian scholorships and I know there are Asian organizations, but yet they make more money as a whole then anyone else in America.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 2:04 pm

Enders,

Could you explain that last statement? Do you mean the "average" Asian American makes more than the "average" white male? I've never seen stats on that...where does it come from?

BeeBee

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 3:08 pm

Ive read statistics saying that and that they (asian-americans) are less likely to commit crime than the average white american. I presume it is because they are big on honour and working hard. :ninja:

Last edited by eamonn on 25 Oct 2005, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 3:12 pm

Ive seen statistics that says the avg Asian American makes like 40K while the avg Caucasion only makes 36K though I forget where (it was in my economics class) probably the census website would have something to that effect.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 6:39 pm

In almost every place except for the west coast of the USA, Asians are in the minority, something like 5% (the last stat I heard). Blacks make up around 15%, and Hispanics probably between 5-10%. This would account for white people making up around 70-75% of the population. That's a pretty decent majority... :|

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 10:40 am

We need a United Asperger's College Fund, or UACF for short. :wink:

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 12:30 pm

Quote:
I wonder if theres Asian scholorships and I know there are Asian organizations, but yet they make more money as a whole then anyone else in America.

I don't think that there are here. I am mixed race- white/asian, and it does me absolutely no good at all to advertise or use that fact as a minority status. It simply doesn't count, as it might if I were half black. I don't mind. :shrug: I also think, from what I've read, that at least some colleges and universities have a limit on the number of Asian students that they admit, because in some areas, if they didn't, there would be a huge majority of Asian students if it were based solely on scholastic performance and eligibility. :P This doesn't seem fair to me- it seems that the best students ought to be admitted to the best schools, regardless of race.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 12:49 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Ive seen statistics that says the avg Asian American makes like 40K while the avg Caucasion only makes 36K ...

That ties up with some stuff I read about performance in IQ tests — IQ tests were developed to predict ability in the workplace. Basically, Asians score better than Whites.

Check out the graph