Page 3 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next


How do you feel about the subject of UFO's and Aliens??
Earth is the only planet in the universe that supports life. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I believe that there is probably life out in the universe, but UFO's and alien abductions are false. 53%  53%  [ 37 ]
I believe that there is life out in the universe and that UFO's and alien sightings are real. 33%  33%  [ 23 ]
I'm not sure. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 70

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,992
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

22 Jul 2008, 1:00 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I had a few weird sightings, one when I was 5 years old, it was a large rotating ball of fire, about 2 block behind my house.
Image
my second sighting took place when I was 15, 2 red lights that were doing some odd maneuvers.
Image
more info on both sightings on my blog, these animations were my first attempt.
http://alberta-ufo-report.blogspot.com/ ... -1966.html



That sounds to me like Ball Lightning.

Ball lighting is small, the orange object was large, and was not making natural movements, estimated size was 30'. Ball lighting is unknown in the Canadian prairies, and the area is not an active earthquake zone, so earthquake lights can also be ruled out, and lastly, swamp gas, well you would need a swamp for that, this sighting was along a busy road between two neighborhoods. Now I am not saying these were aliens flying these UFO's, since both these sighting occurred about 10km from RCAF Station Namao, During the Cold War RCAF Station Namao was used by the United States Strategic Air Command, strangely enough, the base was also at the epicenter of UFO sightings in this region of Alberta. I am sure what me and my mom and sister saw, was some sort of air force test, of what I have no idea.
I am curious how the catholic church and miracles was bought up on a totally off topic thing as that priests stigmata, this is considered a miracle, but so is the Miracle at Fatima, which to me is one of the most widely seen UFO sightings in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_of_the_Sun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Fatima



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,603
Location: Stendec

22 Jul 2008, 2:27 pm

spudnik wrote:
The first sighting which looked like a large rotating ball of orange fire, moved in a square pattern on the horizon, to the north of my parents house, at 6 Spruce Crescent. The sighting lasted for at least half an hour and took place over Sir Winston Churchill Ave, between Sturgeon Heights and Breyside subdivisions. My mother and older sister also witnessed the Ufo and had tried to follow it along Sir Winston Churchill Ave, but could not keep up to it. The object was also witnessed by a St Albert taxi driver. This area also had a lot of other Ufo sightings in the mid to late 1960's, the funny thing is, that CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Namao is directly east about 10km from my sighting.


You did not say what the date was or what time of day this sighting occurred, nor did you state what the weather conditions were. You also left out any indications of what made you think it was rotating. Since you did not report any stars or other objects in the sky, I could assume that there were none to be seen - indicating limited visibility. Since it occurred near a military based, I suspect that this sighting could well have been a targetting balloon, used for radar training.

spudnik wrote:
The second sighting took place when I was 14 years old on 1977 July 4th at 2:00 am while walking back from the Parkland Drive inn to the Primrose subdivision in West Edmonton. The object looked like two red lights one over the other, the bottom light seemed too be swiveling around as if it was attached to a snake. Me and the two friends I was with thought it was a helicopter, after it blinked out then reappeared almost over our heads we knew it couldn't be a normal aircraft. When we first spotted the object it was about one mile east of us an at a height of 2000 feet, when it reappeared over us, it was almost directly overhead but stayed at the same elevation as when we first saw it. The sighting lasted about 20 to 30 minutes, and may have lasted longer, but we all got the creeps watching it and took off home.


First of all, at 2:00 am, a person's ability to visually determine the size and distance of an object is impaired by darkness. Thus, your estimates of range, altitude, and size of the objects are in doubt. Since you did not report any stars or other objects in the sky, I could assume that there were none to be seen - indicating limited visibility during this sighting as well. Since you also did not report any sounds, I can only assume that their were none of those, either.

My suspicion is that the second set of objects was a weather or radiosonde balloon, with its payload dangling below and nav beacons active. That it "blinked out" means only that it may have passed through or behind a cloud or fog bank. Another suspicion is the old "Chinese Lantern" trick - suspending a candle under a paper bag and forming a small hot air balloon.

It's too bad that you have no photographic evidence of either of these two sightings.


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,992
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

22 Jul 2008, 4:57 pm

Well Fnord, the first one, I was only 5 years old, I knew it was Easter because it was we were having Easter dinner, the sighting also occurred at dusk between 5 or 7 pm, and having seen targeting balloons, I also have some experience with weather balloons, I can say without a doubt that this was no targeting balloon. You don't know this area, there is no gunnery ranges in this area, also the closest one is like 200km to the east, if a balloon managed to head to the location of this sighting, it would be a miracle, since the prevailing wind would take any balloon towards the east. Balloons also don't take off when followed, or make unusual maneuvers.
The second sighting was not a couple of chinese lanterns, those tend to move with the air currents, what I saw was stationary for most of the sighting, we thought it was a helicopter, but couldn't hear anything, it was also a very clear night, with no fog or clouds, now the neighborhood where this sighting occurred is also on a direct flight path for the municipal airport, and I am familiar with seeing aircraft at a 2000' elevation, on approach to the airport. I also did not give a size of the object, it was only 2 points of light, radio sonde balloons also don't blink out and reappear instantly in another part of the sky. I do have to mention on the second sighting, we couldn't hear any sound, we did hear a lot of frogs croaking, but when the lights reappeared over us, it went dead silent. But you were not there, so don't make half assed conclusions on what I saw. I am skeptical on most sightings, and have solved a few as natural or man made ones, I am also an amateur astronomer, and I am very familiar with the night sky, with over 35 years experience. If you want evidence then stand outside with a camera and wait to see one, and see who believes you. Some of these sightings don't have an explanation, and they don't tend to leave any evidence, except for the blurred out of focus picture, I don't believe alot of the picture I have seen to be genuine, but some to the video being captured is compelling.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,603
Location: Stendec

22 Jul 2008, 7:46 pm

Spudnik,

I'm not going to say that you saw nothing those two nights. And I'm not going to say that you saw something that was not of terrestrial origin, either. But I am going to critique your reporting style.

Not that I said 'critique' and not 'criticize'.

First, consider your time at the eyepiece. You are an observer. You see things and report them. You take note current conditions and of any changes to them. This is what you do.

Now consider the accepted form of reporting a new comet. First you check your optics to see that they're clean. You note precisely the time, your location, the elevation and azimuth of your equipment, and the seeing conditions, including any possible interference from nearby light sources. Then you note the relative or proper motion of the comet, its shape, color and magnitude, its position relative to nearby stars, any spikes from the head, the length of its tail (if any) in arcseconds, where the tail (if any) is pointed, and whether it is difuse, defined, straight, curved, or even bifurcated.

Then you check your reference material to see if it could be another, already-known comet.

If you are still convinced that you may be the discoverer, you send the report - including your name, address and other contact information - off to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) / Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams and hope that no one else got there ahead of you. With any luck, we could all be going outside at night to view Comet Spudnik, or staying inside to watch you get interviewed on the telly.

Now, imagine trying to apply the same standards you used in the reports from your blog -- imagine that you sent in a comet discovery using the same format and lack of vital detail that you used for those reports -- to the IAU. What would happen? Likely, they would be ignored in favor of another report written by someone who followed established protocol. Instead of Comet Spudnik, you could end up grinding your teeth over the name of Comet Fnord.

Granted, thirty years or more have passed since your sightings. Granted, you were only a kid or a teen. Granted, you did not have the training and discipline then that you do now. But you've reported something, and you expect others to believe that what you saw was completely out of the ordinary, and you seem to feel offended when they don't.

I was in the U.S. Navy. While at sea, I witnessed a few events that I'm not at liberty to discuss today; and yes, some may (or may not) have involved flying objects. So I know what it is like to turn over an exceptionally detailed report, only to be told, "You saw nothing ... there was nothing to see ... nothing to report ... don't talk about this to anyone." How much worse is it to post an incomplete report of what you think is an extra-ordinary event, only to be told that it was merely an ordinary balloon of some kind?

Not much worse, I'd wager. In fact, your sighting reports are likely to be filed along with reports detailing sightings of Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Elvis. There is nothing historically significant about them, so please don't take offense when someone else points out the holes where missing data should be, or the erroneous assumptions, or that there are other possibilities to consider, because for people (like me) who make a living by paying attention to and reporting the most minute details, your reports don't really warrant much attention.

I apologize, and I hope you understand.


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,992
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

22 Jul 2008, 8:46 pm

Well writing is not one of my strong points, and I did leave a lot of information out, that I still have, so no offense taken, I will defiantly take what you said as constructive criticism. As I have said before, I am not a believer in aliens visiting us in ufo's, I think thats a load of nonsense, my father was also a witness to the first sighting, but never talked about it, he was also in the military at the time, and would not have been at liberty to say anything either. I have sort of assumed my sighting on march 26th 1967 was some sort of air force testing, as there was a similar sighting 9 days before on march 16th at Malmstrom AFB in Montana which was also part of United States Strategic Air Command, so there was something strange going on surrounding some of the AFB's.



oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,748

22 Jul 2008, 8:49 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
That sounds to me like Ball Lightning.


Image


_________________
sticks and stones may kill you.


skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,848
Location: New Orleans, LA

22 Jul 2008, 11:13 pm

oscuria wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:
That sounds to me like Ball Lightning.


Image


that was my first thought too.


/used to run a crappy direct damage deck



Zeronos
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 9

22 Jul 2008, 11:16 pm

I believe there's a strong chance that somewhere out there, there's intelligent life. It's a strong plausibility; all it needs is evidence.



skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,848
Location: New Orleans, LA

22 Jul 2008, 11:25 pm

Zeronos wrote:
I believe there's a strong chance that somewhere out there, there's intelligent life. It's a strong plausibility; all it needs is evidence.



it's entirely plausible but that's not really the question being postulated...i don't think.



Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 305
Location: USA

23 Jul 2008, 2:32 am

Image

Must delete

there is so much more
unfortunately youre all wrong and I cant help
if i do I will be demolecularized

Im not going out like that


_________________
ALT+F4=Life


Last edited by Fred2670 on 23 Jul 2008, 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,178

23 Jul 2008, 2:33 am

Fnord wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Fnord, we're all aliens here. The human race was clearly seeded on this world. :wink:

Evidence, please?


Pyramids on mars.

But you want proof , I have none just the pics nasa took.

But look at the statistics . Out of all the planets in existance do you really think this one is the only one with civilized life forms? :?

To think such things would be highly egotistical.

I am not bashing you, I just want you to think of it from that angle for a moment.

Feel free to disagree with me , your entitled to.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,603
Location: Stendec

23 Jul 2008, 10:39 am

just-me wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Evidence, please?

Pyramids on mars.

Mountains ... ordinary mountains.

just-me wrote:
But you want proof , I have none just the pics nasa took.

None of your own? Pity...

just-me wrote:
But look at the statistics . Out of all the planets in existance do you really think this one is the only one with civilized life forms?

What statistics?

We know of only one star with an Earth-like planet. Does this mean that 100% of all stars also have an Earth-like planet?

We also know of only one Earth-like planet that supports intelligent life. Should we then assume that 100% of all Earth-like planets support intelligent life?

A sample of one is not statistically significant.

just-me wrote:
To think such things would be highly egotistical.

Not at all. I'm just waiting for real evidence - not assumptions and wishful thinking - that demonstrate the existance of intelligent life originating on planets other than Earth.

just-me wrote:
I am not bashing you, I just want you to think of it from that angle for a moment.

I have, many times, and each time I come up with a new plot for a science-fiction story or role-playing game.

It's these things called "education" and "intelligence" that prevent me from looking at a grainy picture of a flying hubcap and thinking of anything other than "fraud."

Show me an extraterrestrial alien ... a real one ... not one made of polymer gel over a frame of metal and plastic.

just-me wrote:
Feel free to disagree with me , your entitled to.

Ooo ... I am SO glad that I have your PERMISSION. May I also think for myself, your grace?

:P


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

23 Jul 2008, 10:47 am

Fnord, let me remind you and all of you folks here that UFO means UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT! I does NOT automatically mean alien spaceship :x . Furthermore, there's a very famous cause that took place in Belgium around 1989-1990
where a triangular craft was not only seen from the ground by literally thousands of witnesses, but it was Detected and Tracked by RADAR. Since RADAR cannot detect light the presence of positive returns from 3 NATO radar stations is Strong Evidence that there actually was something in the skies. Not to mention the fact that 2 NATO F-16s were scrambled to intercept this object....I have no proof tht such an object was from a distant world but in THAT case there are few other explanations that fit the evidence. I suspect a certain(albeit small)percentage of UFOs are autonomous robotic probes from far away planets rather than spacecrafts with actual Aliens on board.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,603
Location: Stendec

23 Jul 2008, 12:20 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Fnord, let me remind you and all of you folks here that UFO means UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT! I does NOT automatically mean alien spaceship.


Now, didn't I read a post stating this very thing? Ahh ... here it is:

Fnord wrote:
Unidentified
Flying
Object


If you see an object, and the object is flying, and you can't identify it, then it's an Unidentified Flying Object - no more, and no less.

That people see an object flying through air, don't know what it is, and immediately leap to the conclusion that it's a spacecraft full of anus-probing, gene-splicing, cattle-mutilating, people-stealing, mind-raping extra-terrestrials is just plain stupid.

There is no empirical evidence for the existance of extra-terrestrial life. There have been no alien abductions. The Roswell Incident involved an experimental military aircraft that used gradiated high-voltage charges to ionize the surrounding air and provide lift, and any "alien" bodies involved were scaled-down replicas (mannequins) of human crewmembers.

Any so-called "evidence" to the contrary is a clever forgery (at best), or an exagerration of a myth or legend (at worst).

The truth may very well be out there, but not close enough to Earth to make a difference.

That was back on the 16th of this month - exactly one week ago.

Yer preachin ta the choir here, rev'rund.


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,300

23 Jul 2008, 12:34 pm

I believe in extraterrestrial life, but the myths about UFOs, cattle mutilations, abductions etc. are BS.


_________________
WP doesn't have a working first amendment.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.


Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

23 Jul 2008, 1:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
The truth may very well be out there, but not close enough to Earth to make a difference.


You're Wrong.