greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
nightbender wrote:
greenblue wrote:
nightbender wrote:
how dare you slander the church just for it having teachings you dont agree with and actually has people who try to adhere to them just because your feelings were hurt.

That's because the Catholic Church is an evil institution.

uh no

exactly how is the Catholic church evil

It has an unwritten (?) policy of condoning peodophilia among its priesthood and protecting those who practice it.

Well, Benedict XVI apologized for this, and it is not like they encourage it, I would think of some political or religoius agenda would hide such things.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:46 pm

greenblue wrote:
I thought that you were actually a moral skeptic, would you actually fall into the moral nihilism class? just curious. If I'm not mistaken I remember you stating that nihilism was flawed.

I don't actually care what people call me.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:52 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
greenblue wrote:
I thought that you were actually a moral skeptic, would you actually fall into the moral nihilism class? just curious. If I'm not mistaken I remember you stating that nihilism was flawed.

I don't actually care what people call me.

well, it's not an attack, sorry if you thought it was, I was just curious to know where your thoughts on this issue in the philosophic sense would actually belong into, which I didn't consider you to be nihilist in the first place which was why I asked :P

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:01 pm

I just read the story.

The Leviticus anti-gay laws are directed at straight jews and not anyone else. It IS an abomination for a straight person to have gay sex. But a gay man can have gay sex all he wants. Its the way God made him. Either way, its not a commandment, its a law of the time and isn't relevant to modern times any more than the law that says not to eat pork.

I'm glad the mother in the story has become more gay tolerant, but that's all she is, tolerant. She still seems to lack the understanding that her son was born that way and was not changed by her gay husband's actions.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:14 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
And don't you *dare* let someone's inability to follow their own religion make you insult anyone else who shares that religion. So you think strict Catholics are prejudiced. But when you insulted all Christians, did you consider the liberal or even middle-of-the-road Catholics? What about the other 2 major branches of Christianity that aren't Catholic?

QFT. Thanks, Ancalgon. A friend of mine recently was driven away from Christianity because his church rejected him over his sexual orientation- and he had previously been very devout. It saddens me to see that people allow the worst examples of Christianity to taint their perception of the entire faith and everyone who practices it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:17 pm

greenblue wrote:
well, it's not an attack, sorry if you thought it was, I was just curious to know where your thoughts on this issue in the philosophic sense would actually belong into, which I didn't consider you to be nihilist in the first place which was why I asked :P

Well, I did not take it as an attack, that is my honest response. I simply do not care. My thoughts on this issue are that morality doesn't make sense, but what does? I don't care in honesty. Then again, I care about little in all honesty. I have my purposes, and I pursue them.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:37 pm

Orwell wrote:
It saddens me to see that people allow the worst examples of Christianity to taint their perception of the entire faith and everyone who practices it.

well, I believe that that happens when people have bad experience with anything, not just with Christianity, their experience, if it's bad, it can shape their thoughts, their perception and opinions about some things, depending on the intensity of pain, then the amount of distortion their opinions, thoughts and perceptions would be from what may have caused it.

And yeah, opinions and thoughts based on such experiences are very likely to be unreliable, because of that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:59 am

<* Shrugs *>

I've known for quite some time that the purposes of any religion are to:

1) Determine the "Rules of Righteousness" for its members ("Us").

2) Determine the "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin" for everyone else ("Them").

3) Set up social, political, legal, and even physical barriers between "Us" and "Them."

4) Remind "Us" of the future rewards for obeying the "Rules of Righteousness", and the penalties for committing even one of the "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin."

5) Commit as many "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin" in the name of the religion, deny "Them" the right to do the same, and all the while deny any hypocrisy and claim to be both holy and righteous.

6) Collect "free-will" donations of money from "Us" for performing steps 1 through 5, while paying no taxes on any of the collected money.

I think that pretty well covers everything.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 30 Jul 2008, 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:12 am

I really hope there some of the evangelical christians are reading this thread :x . If God truly disapproves of homosexuals and their ways then Why, O WHY did God create them in the first place????? Please dont give me that Bullsh1t that the "Devil" created them because according to the Bible the devil lacks the power to create life. WHY the Hell doesnt God DO something about homosexuality if he feels the way his followers claim? Christian attitudes toward homosexuality really say A Lot about what organized religon is really about............. :?

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:51 am

Fnord wrote:
<* Shrugs *>

I've known for quite some time that the purposes of any religion are to:

1) Determine the "Rules of Righteousness" for its members ("Us").

2) Determine the "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin" for everyone else ("Them").

3) Set up social, political, legal, and even physical barriers between "Us" and "Them."

4) Remind "Us" of the future rewards for obeying the "Rules of Righteousness", and the penalties for committing even one of the "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin."

5) Commit as many "Acts of Blasphemy, Heresy, and Sin" in the name of the religion, deny "Them" the right to do the same, and all the while deny any hypocrisy and claim to be both holy and righteous.

you forgot develope spirutal enlightnment

to you religion seems like nothing more than a bunch of rules.

thats not what religions is about. religion is about honing and refining spirutuality

6) Collect "free-will" donations of money from "Us" for performing steps 1 through 5, while paying no taxes on any of the collected money.

I think that pretty well covers everything.

Last edited by nightbender on 30 Jul 2008, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:57 am

Haliphron wrote:
I really hope there some of the evangelical christians are reading this thread :x . If God truly disapproves of homosexuals and their ways then Why, O WHY did God create them in the first place????? Please dont give me that Bullsh1t that the "Devil" created them because according to the Bible the devil lacks the power to create life. WHY the Hell doesnt God DO something about homosexuality if he feels the way his followers claim? Christian attitudes toward homosexuality really say A Lot about what organized religon is really about............. :?

what you just questioned is called theodicity.

THe question of question of Gods justice and the role of evil in the world.

THe traditional Catholic/Christian view is that the forces of good and evil are unequal and thus God does intervene in everysingle instance of human affairs and the affairs of the world and that much of the worlds comings and goings is left to mankind.

remember in Genesis God Created the world then man then gave dominion of the world to
man

The Calvinist view is that God does allow and even cause manifest evils to occurs but through the course of this greater goods are achieved

and the devil cannot create life but he can corrupt it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:03 pm

The word "Spiritual" is from the Latin word "Spiritualis," meaning breathing or breath, and the Latin word "Spiritus," meaning wind or moving air. Currently, it holds a strong relationship with religious values that are defined by rules that in turn relate to alleged supernatural phenomena or or were imparted by alleged supernatural beings.

What sets apart one religion from another is its set of rules. Even the word "Religion" is from the Latin word "religare," which means to bind, restrain, or tie back. This is done with rules - also called "Commandments" - and dogmatic teachings. It also means an institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices - in other words, more rules.

Take away a religion's rules, and what's left? Money in the collection plate?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
nightbender wrote:
greenblue wrote:
nightbender wrote:
how dare you slander the church just for it having teachings you dont agree with and actually has people who try to adhere to them just because your feelings were hurt.

That's because the Catholic Church is an evil institution.

uh no

exactly how is the Catholic church evil

It has an unwritten (?) policy of condoning peodophilia among its priesthood and protecting those who practice it.

actually the church was set up.

Back around the 70's the was huge infux of homosexuals into the priesthood, the church wanted to get rid of them but was told by the secular psychological establishment that alls they needed was therapy and everything would be fine. When that didnt work the church was stuck and didnt really know what do .

THe actually policy now is that anyone with unothodux sexual predilactions is now barred from the seminary.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
The word "Spiritual" is from the Latin word "Spiritualis," meaning breathing or breath, and the Latin word "Spiritus," meaning wind or moving air. Currently, it holds a strong relationship with religious values that are defined by rules that in turn relate to alleged supernatural phenomena or or were imparted by alleged supernatural beings.

What sets apart one religion from another is its set of rules. Even the word "Religion" is from the Latin word "religare," which means to bind, restrain, or tie back. This is done with rules - also called "Commandments" - and dogmatic teachings. It also means an institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices - in other words, more rules.

you still dont get it. but this starting to be like casting pearls before swine.
If have strong spirutalty but no religous training you will fall into heresy and be led astray by negative spirutal forces. if you have religion but no spirit you will fall into pharasism or apostatsy

it seem like explaing this to you is going to be like explain rembrant to a blind man.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:09 pm

nightbender wrote:

actually the church was set up.

Back around the 70's the was huge infux of homosexuals into the priesthood, the church wanted to get rid of them but was told by the secular psychological establishment that alls they needed was therapy and everything would be fine. When that didnt work the church was stuck and didnt really know what do .

THe actually policy now is that anyone with unothodux sexual predilactions is now barred from the seminary.

Ridiculous. The church's policy of celibacy by definition excludes men with normal sex drives who are interested in having an open, heterosexual relationship. The RC church brought the problem upon themself; - if they listened to the secular psychological establishment or the medical community, they would not be opposed to condoms and other birth control, would allow priests to marry, would allow women priests, etc etc. Clearly they do what they want, and should answer for their own decisions.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm

Fnord wrote:

never mind most of that of the collections goes to charity work and most parishs are chronically poor and starved of funds to maintain basic operation.