Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Your views on biofuel?
Biofuel is great! Slightly cleaner air in the 1. world is worth more than human beings in the 3. world 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
No, fossil fuel is a necessary evil at the moment 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
Not sure 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 12:47 pm

A while ago, I read that it took an amount of food equaling to 300 breads to provide enough biodiesel for one 60 liter (~12 gallon) fuel tank. Most of the fields used exclusively for bio fuel are located in the 3. world (ironically, some of them are located where there once were rainforests). Food prices all over Latin America have increased to satisfy our greed for "clean" alternatives to regular gasoline.

40.000 children starve to death every day in the 3. world--should we use food as fuel for our cars, when only 3% of the annual carbon dioxide exhaustion is created by humans?

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 3:45 pm

I am against of using food as source of energy.

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
40.000 children starve to death every day in the 3. world--should we use food as fuel for our cars, when only 3% of the annual carbon dioxide exhaustion is created by humans?

Definitely not.

Can't they use another source for energy that is less, so much less destructible?

Quote:
to satisfy our greed for "clean" alternatives to regular gasoline.

Exactly, greed has been the cause of so many problems.

wikipedia wrote:
"On July 4, a leaked report done by the World Bank said that the use of biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75%. The "month-by-month" five year analysis disputes that increases in global grain consumption and droughts were responsible for price increases, reporting that this had had only a marginal impact and instead argues that the EU and US drive for biofuels has had by far the biggest impact on food supply and prices. Although completed in April, economists believe the report has not been published to avoid embarrassing President George Bush. The study also found that biofuels derived from sugarcane did not have as dramatic an impact as that derived from grains and vegetable oil." Aditya Chakrabortty, The Guardian, July 4, 2008.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:12 pm

greenblue wrote:
Exactly, greed has been the cause of so many problems.

wikipedia wrote:
"On July 4, a leaked report done by the World Bank said that the use of biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75%. The "month-by-month" five year analysis disputes that increases in global grain consumption and droughts were responsible for price increases, reporting that this had had only a marginal impact and instead argues that the EU and US drive for biofuels has had by far the biggest impact on food supply and prices. Although completed in April, economists believe the report has not been published to avoid embarrassing President George Bush. The study also found that biofuels derived from sugarcane did not have as dramatic an impact as that derived from grains and vegetable oil." Aditya Chakrabortty, The Guardian, July 4, 2008.

Many people find a link to the actual study more convincing than a Wikipedia reference. I had to dig through the Guardian website a bit to find the original article they published, and a follow-up piece had that pdf.

EDIT: there was a slight misstatement in the original article: biofuels are responsible for 75% OF the increase in prices, not a 75% increase. Food prices are up 140%, so biofuels actually caused roughly a 105% increase in food prices. Further analysis within that paper shows that, had biofuel demand not drained emergency grain reserves, the other issues cited (increased fuel costs, drought, etc) would probably not have had any impact on food prices.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:28 pm

Some thoughts:

1) Most petroleum is a bio-fuel.
2) Biofuels can be produced from cellulose - which is normally considered a waste. Or from sugar, which people eat too much of anyway. It doesn't have to be corn.
3) You asked "should we use food as fuel for our cars, when only 3% of the annual carbon dioxide exhaustion is created by humans?" ... I have no idea what you meant. Is this discussion about food and economics, or about global warming? I don't think global warming really figures into it one way or the

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:58 pm

monty wrote:
Some thoughts:

1) Most petroleum is a bio-fuel.

Source? Unless you are referring to the fact that fossil fuels were once organic matter, this statement is completely contrary to what I've read.

Quote:
2) Biofuels can be produced from cellulose - which is normally considered a waste.

Than why isn't it? Is this method more expensive, less practical?

Quote:
Or from sugar, which people eat too much of anyway. It doesn't have to be corn.

You still have to grow sugarcane to do that, which diverts farmland away from food production. It's called "opportunity cost."

Quote:
3) You asked "should we use food as fuel for our cars, when only 3% of the annual carbon dioxide exhaustion is created by humans?" ... I have no idea what you meant. Is this discussion about food and economics, or about global warming? I don't think global warming really figures into it one way or the other.

The most common reason cited for why biofuels should be used is global warming. Hence, casting doubt on global warming is often used as a further way to discredit the use of biofuels.

Balefire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 8:01 pm

The problem with biofuels, besides the obvious issue of food burning, is that the method of production involving cellulose is far more expensive; but if only the starch is used, then the ethanol takes more energy to make than burning it produces. Link to a supporting study here.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:05 pm

biofuel will worsen world starvation.

not to mention it's stupid and a waste because you're at a loss as far as energy put in vs energy taken out.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

skafather84 wrote:
you're at a loss as far as energy put in vs energy taken out.

That's technically true for any method of energy production, but biofuels are allegedly worse than other ways of producing energy. Of course, the whole idea of boiling water and letting the rising steam turn a turbine to generate electricity always sounded really inefficient to me. It's just a matter of converting energy from a form we can't use to a form we can use, and when we do this we'll lose some of the energy- but it's better than all of the energy being unusable.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:15 pm

Orwell wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
you're at a loss as far as energy put in vs energy taken out.

That's technically true for any method of energy production, but biofuels are allegedly worse than other ways of producing energy. Of course, the whole idea of boiling water and letting the rising steam turn a turbine to generate electricity always sounded really inefficient to me. It's just a matter of converting energy from a form we can't use to a form we can use, and when we do this we'll lose some of the energy- but it's better than all of the energy being unusable.

the point is more that it's not as effective as other means. not as inefficient as wind power but still not nearly as efficient as oil.

though i've been seeing some great articles on developments with solar technology that could be useful in the near future (within 5 or so years).

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 11:59 pm

I'm all for biodiesel. There are many varieties.
I'm personally for reusing old vegetable oil.
What harm could that cause?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 12:11 am

what's needed to make biodiesel?

is farmland absolutely necessary?

can old vegetable oil be used in place? (say like all the oil from frito-lay filtered then processed)

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 12:16 am

Yeah, cleaned vegetable oil from restaurant refuse works great when heated to 150 degrees fahrenheit. It runs right through your engine and is great for the environment. Though you may need to make a few expensive alterations to your cars motor...

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 12:33 am

In Holland fuel can be made from Algae grown in shallow surface waters. There are plans to use one of the largest polders (the Markerwaard of 700 square kilometers), which hasn't yet been made dry, for this purpose only. Its bio-diesel production will be enough for all the needed car fuel in the Netherlands. It is from 20 to a 100 times more efficient in producing energy than bio-diesel from land plants. Another advantage is that it can help clean sewage and the dried residue can be used as cattle fodder.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 1:37 am

What tree hugger came up with this bright idea, and what moron politician agreed, Gee, let's turn our food crops into fuel, cleaner burning, less environmental impact, BS. The companies that lobby Washington, have pushed corn to be used for bio diesel, it takes more energy to produce the stuff, as it takes 1 liter of fossil fuel to produce 1.25 liters of bio fuel. If everyone wants to use biofuel, they should demand a better source, either switch grass or hemp, even wood waste can be used to produce the stuff, but no, its better to make our foodstuffs get depleted by using corn.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 1:50 am

biodiesel doesn't really burn cleaner than regular diesel; it's advantage is that it can be produced without either drilling and the concurrent risk of oil spills, or the utilization of food crops than would otherwise enter the market for humans.

bobbob94
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2008, 5:54 am

Making vehicle fuel out of crops in a world where people starve seems nuts to me, and the kind of solution that only occurs to people when its taken as read that its a vitally important and useful thing to keep everyone trundling around in private motor vehicles. Take measures to drastically reduce the number of cars, replacing them with public transport, walking, cycling and the whole fossil fuels or bio fuels dillemma seems less of a dillemma...