Should suicide be legalized?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 71 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 86

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 7:23 pm

What court has jurisdiction over the dead? God (if you are a Christian)?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 8:51 pm

Wait, I guess my thoughts were some place else.

I thought legal was meant in a sense that the person doesn't treatment for the problem...

My bad...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 8:56 pm

Suicide is legal. Attempted suicide (or attention-seeking) is another matter.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:04 pm

^ Is because everybody is scared of suicide. ^

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:17 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Do I think suicide should be legal?

No or I would've been dead after the couple of attempts I made. I've gotten a lot of help and no longer have this strong urge like I used to.

Are you saying that it was the law that *forced* you to get help dealing with suicidal urges?

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 3:21 am

Tequila wrote:
Suicide is legal. Attempted suicide (or attention-seeking) is another matter.

It's not illegal to attempt suicide, but they can put you in the nut house "for your own good" if you try to do it. :roll:

'Tis munny in my purse.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:23 am

MissConstrue wrote:

No or I would've been dead after the couple of attempts I made. I've gotten a lot of help and no longer have this strong urge like I used to.

The legality or illegality of suicide has nothing to do with your present state. You took what action you needed to take and you get help. What does legality have to do with that?

And just because you sought (and found) help, does that give you a right to prevent others from killing themselves. How can you determine how much suffering another person must bear?

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:21 am

Just as a matter of curiosity, does a soldier who dies by falling on a hand grenade to save his comrades thereby void his life insurance policy?

And, insofar as religious people are concerned, does this act of ultimate generosity damn the suicide to eternal Hell?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:32 am

Haliphron wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Are you saying that it was the law that *forced* you to get help dealing with suicidal urges?

Know what I really don't feel like debating on my personal experiences in this issue. I shouldn't have even brought it up. It was years back when I going through some deep s**t.

No the law didn't force me, I was hopitalized and had to get treatment. That's as best as I can describe it and that's all I have to say here.

I really don't think this crap about attention seeking is all that necessary either, I knew one girl who did it and is now dead. So I think I'd be careful with putting people who have psychological and psychiatric problems down.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm alive and no I wasn't trying to seek attention at the time. I was deeply depressed and wanted a way out. That's as best as I can describe what I was going through.

Good day.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 12:56 pm

Suicide is not a crime in Canada, assisting suicide is however, and it's the most dumb law ever.
depressed suicidal people are one thing, they can get help and turn their life around, but when it comes to terminally ill patients, their wishes to a painless death should be granted... these people want to be euthanized for numours reasons: to end the pain, to free their bed for someone who can be saved, to save health-care money...

Euthanasia is commen sense, it is the person's own body, not the government's and sure as hell doesn't belong to the religious people.

greenblue wrote:
That makes sense, although I think some could argue that human life is more important than your pet's life, however, there seem to be the irony, the reason is for ending their suffering, while the very some reason not being well accepted in the case of humans.

Well that will depend. A healthy dog can be more important then a terminally ill person on life-support based on the fact the dog can contribute more to life by being a seeing-eye dog to someone in need.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:23 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Suicide is not a crime in Canada, assisting suicide is however, and it's the most dumb law ever.
depressed suicidal people are one thing, they can get help and turn their life around, but when it comes to terminally ill patients, their wishes to a painless death should be granted... these people want to be euthanized for numours reasons: to end the pain, to free their bed for someone who can be saved, to save health-care money...

Euthanasia is commen sense, it is the person's own body, not the government's and sure as hell doesn't belong to the religious people.

greenblue wrote:
That makes sense, although I think some could argue that human life is more important than your pet's life, however, there seem to be the irony, the reason is for ending their suffering, while the very some reason not being well accepted in the case of humans.

Well that will depend. A healthy dog can be more important then a terminally ill person on life-support based on the fact the dog can contribute more to life by being a seeing-eye dog to someone in need.

And we healthy dogs vehemently protest that our lives are of no consequence. Wooof!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:25 pm

Suicide should be not only legal, but mandatory.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:42 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:

Euthanasia is commen sense, it is the person's own body, not the government's and sure as hell doesn't belong to the religious people..

Assisted suicide for terminally ill patients should certainly be legal in my opinion, and after the November elections Washington became the only state other than Oregon to make it so. It should be strictly available as a personal choice however, and should not be listed as an alternative treatment option so insurance companies don't have the bargaining power to only provide euthanasia as a less expensive option under their medical coverage. The choice should be left to the individual and the individual alone- they should not be pressured by the government, the hospital, or their insurance provider in this matter.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:16 am

Orwell wrote:
Suicide should be not only legal, but mandatory.

Finally, a position worth supporting.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 3:02 am

If a person wants o kill themselves what right do I have to force them not to do so?

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:37 am

Does it REALLY mater if it's illegal or not? Am I taking crazy pills or something?