Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:44 am

What good is all your knowledge if you can't "interface" with other human beings?

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 8:13 am

What good is all your knowledge if you can't "interface" with other human beings?
-----------
I interface fine. They are collectively evil, stupid, and ignorant.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 8:17 am

prometheuspann wrote:
-----------
I interface fine. They are collectively evil, stupid, and ignorant.

You didn't answer my question. Oh, that's right it was rhetorical.

Last edited by slowmutant on 28 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 8:20 am

Sounds to me like you're too good for anyone but you.
-----------
if that were true, why would i post?

in fact, I'm very interested in the group good.

You seem to have nothing to offer but veiled personal attacks.

I challenge you to stay on topic. I'm not it.
:D

chever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 2:54 pm

prometheuspann wrote:
good news: humankind will only know one more arms race
---------
hardly true. We have several levels of technology left to unpack, starting with the strong force, working our way down to the weak force, and then gravity, and then, potentially tachyons.

What does manipulating gravity have to do with anything?

Here

http://www.darpa.mil/ipto/
http://archive.infopeace.de/msg02711.html
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/libra ... osti01.htm

There is probably going to be an arms race in the next ten years

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 5:03 pm

I missed a thread on the Singularity?

God, it's only the most gratifying thing plausible.

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 5:17 am

What does manipulating gravity have to do with anything?
-----------
Its a level of technology which could in theory create a new arms race.

for a supposedly logical thinker and an atheist, that you would need me to point out something so obvious bodes poorly
for your score on my IQ test of you.
:lol:

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 5:21 am

yes, regarding assorted links. Thats the CURRENT arms race. The statement was to the effect that there wouldn't be ones after it. If we survive (which is possibly dubious) technology will continue to advance, and at some point in the not too distant
future, gravitational weapons could make anything imagined by science fiction look pathetic.

A gravitational bomb could destroy our solar system at light speed- or potentially even faster.
A larger and more powerful one could potentially destroy our galaxy with a new inflation event.

While this isn't fun to think about, its the truth regarding the question- as long as we continue to exist, there are more levels of technology at which in theory arms races can occur.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:36 am

It's difficult not to get excited, but some healthy skepticism would be useful. In some ways, the Singularity is like an orgasm: nobody can quite explain what it is, but you'll definitely know when you have it. It's premature to speculate on what we'll be and what we'll not be able to do before the first glimpse of possibilities starts to open.
At the start of the computer era, people were extremely confident on the limitless ways it would (allegedly) improve our lives. A similar wave of excitement surrounded the invention of the electric bulb, the steam machine, and I'd guess someone was drooling the first time a wheel was put on the ground. Granted, the Singularity is a wholly different matter, way superior to all our past technological progress, but I'd recommend not to expect miracles. It's better to be surprised than to be disappointed.

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 9:50 am

In the manner in which "The singularity" has come to be meant, there is a misnomer right there, because the real truth is
that there are stages, and we will achieve some versions of "singularity" long before we achieve others.

so its really "singularitieS"

Given that, the most pragmatic thing to do is to look at creating the singularities which are most accessible from where we are now.

That said, the most accessible version of singularity is simply the conceptual singularity or aka the modern paradigm shift.

This could happen at any moment at does not require any new technologies, just new applications of technologies we already have.

My website exists for the purpose of making that shift happen, and I estimate that 100 persons investing under 40 hours each in the processes i describe would create a viral event which would lead to that form of singularity.

Lets talk breifly then about what that consists of;

1. The end to poverty
2. The end to crime
3. A complete reversal of our trend towards unhealthy and un nutritious foods
4. A mass media which serves the interests of information, not propaganda.
5. A government of the people, by the people, for the people, instead of being of, by and for the corporations
6. A new religion based on a holistic integration of all other religions and all of the sciences, and built for the purpose
of helping people obtain useful and pragmatic altered states of consciousness.
7. An end to bad drugs
8. Legalization of useful drugs
9. Geothermal and solar and wind and tidal power totally replace all fossil fuels
10. Localization and self sufficiency of individual cities and states rather than global dependency
11. An economics system based on real goods and services rather than ephemeral things like trade, bubbles,
debt, and so forth.
12. an end to taxes. (The government would print and distribute the money as the constitution originally provided for. the fed bank is against the constitution.)
13. Education would evolve into what is now understood about what is possible, and high school graduates of ten years from now would have the equal of what is now several doctorate degrees.
14. Cities would go green and permeaculturize, and anybody would be able to eat in most cities by picking food growing
in public spaces.

These are just for instances.

THIS version of singularity is as near as my website and a few hundred participants.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

Fascinating that crime is about to end. That is undoubtedly an underestimation of human ingenuity.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:49 pm

prometheuspann wrote:
for a supposedly logical thinker and an atheist, that you would need me to point out something so obvious bodes poorly
for your score on my IQ test of you.
:lol:

I'm not an atheist

IQ tests are bunkum

Anyway, please give us some hard science on manipulating gravity because it sounds like pseudo-scientific crap

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:19 pm

You can manipulate gravity by getting really really drunk. :wink:

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Anyway, please give us some hard science on manipulating gravity because it sounds like pseudo-scientific crap

:lol: :lol:

that it is without a doubt.

:sunny:

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Fascinating that crime is about to end. That is undoubtedly an underestimation of human ingenuity.

I am not saying it is going to happen, i am saying it could.
disbelief in such only demonstrates lack of understanding of how it would be done.

While manipulating gravitons is a half crackpotted thought experiment since we can't even be sure they exist,
ending crime is an easy problem to solve if you understand psychology, sociology, and civil engineering.

:D

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:42 pm

How to end crime, then? I would hear this idea of yours.