Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

When you first saw Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin what was your first thought??? I thought d*** Miss Leavey from that movie Simon Berch was Mccain's running mate.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

my first thought was "wow, that's desperate".

note: NOT an obama supporter.

and not a mccain supporter either.

/null vote '08: a real vote for change.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

LazySlacker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 4:53 pm

I believe McCain chose Palin to appeal to the Clinton voters, but that's just me.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:03 pm

LazySlacker wrote:
I believe McCain chose Palin to appeal to the Clinton voters, but that's just me.

That seems logical, however its not going to work. Clinton was the type person you could see yourself having lunch with however Sarah Palin is the type of person you see yourself finally putting that wooden stake you bought at the flea market to good use.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:15 pm

My first thought was that it's a damn stupid idea to pick an Alaskan as your running mate if you have a platform of cleaning up the old Washington politics and forging a bipartisan coalition. Why? Because Alaska has the most corrupt state government in the Union, and is extremely partisan- the Republican machine in Alaska, largely in the pockets of big oil interests active there, controls the government almost absolutely. If anyone bothers to do even the slightest bit of research, they'll see that an Alaskan politician is not the best choice for someone trying to promote the message McCain is spreading.

But he was going to lose anyways. Democrats are more excited about Obama than Republicans are about McCain.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:16 pm

Orwell wrote:
largely in the pockets of big oil interests active there, controls the government almost absolutely.

but didn't you hear the news, she fought against big oil!!

:roll:

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
largely in the pockets of big oil interests active there, controls the government almost absolutely.

but didn't you hear the news, she fought against big oil!!

:roll:

:lol: :lmao: If you go against big oil, you don't get a job in the Alaskan government. Simple as that.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 5:34 pm

Apparenty, and this may be a gross simplification, her plan to combat high oil and gas prices was to send everyone in Alaska free money.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:44 pm

burnse22 wrote:
Apparenty, and this may be a gross simplification, her plan to combat high oil and gas prices was to send everyone in Alaska free money.

Why not? Bush's plan to combat high oil and gas prices, high inflation, rising unemployment, and the risk of a recession was to send everyone in America free money.

And look how well it worked! :roll:

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:50 pm

To her credit she ran without the support of party leaders. Personally I don't think she's a particularly bad choice when it all comes down to it if you look at her personal record. She'll have the support of Republicans, and that's what counts in the McCain campaign.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:14 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
To her credit she ran without the support of party leaders. Personally I don't think she's a particularly bad choice when it all comes down to it if you look at her personal record. She'll have the support of Republicans, and that's what counts in the McCain campaign.

she has no clue how to use a condom.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm

McCain didn't have a choice. Obama chose an older white male for his VP so McCain had to choose a younger woman. Since McCain is considered to be very liberal by Republican standards she also had to be very conservative.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:07 pm

She seems to have the same symptoms as McCain himself: overconservative. So they fit together well I guess. I would never vote for her, but then I would not vote Republican anyway.

It sounded odd to me at first though to realise Hawaii and Alaska are represented at such a high level in the elections. Are those 2 states not considered somehow to be of lesser importance and a far away business for most Americans from the "mainland"?

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:12 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
She seems to have the same symptoms as McCain himself: overconservative. So they fit together well I guess. I would never vote for her, but then I would not vote Republican anyway.

I don't know if McCain is "overconservative." But then, I really can't tell where he stands on any issue since he's just about the biggest flip-flop I've ever seen in American politics.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:19 pm

when the hell did social conservatism define conservative? aren't dollars and resources things that are more important to be conservative about?

seriously, what moron puts importance on social conservatism to the point of completely ignoring other, more important, parts of policy?

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:20 pm

He didn't do this to get Hillary Clinton voters. He might pick a few, which won't hurt him. I think he did this to fire up the Evangelical base. Palin is a staunchly pro-life Evangelical Christian. She practices what she preaches and did not abort her last child who was born with Down Syndrome. The Evangelicals are ecstatic about McCain's choice.

Now is he enjoying shocking everyone with picking a female? I'm sure he is. But I don't think that was the main reason he chose her.