Religious people and thei gods have no standard for truth...

Page 3 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

I've heard plenty of criticisms of religion before, but this is a new one. You determine which god is right by comparing different gods and deciding which you like best, or by going with the god followed by the culture around you. It is impossible to know if you are deceiving yourself in anything, not just religion, so that is pointless to comment on. Religions generally are not relativistic.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 3:10 am

Orwell wrote:
It is impossible to know if you are deceiving yourself in anything, not just religion.

And this is the biggest lie ever, to think or function, to see, detect and modify your own thoughts, is to detect a structure that is there, that exists. So at the very least you know you exist, if you believe it is impossible then we can perform a little experiment by having you walk off a cliff, since "truth is impossible" right? After all it's all an illusion! :P

Your behavior contradicts your thinking and that's all the evidence we need to exclude you from intelligentsia :P

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 5:09 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
Orwell wrote:
It is impossible to know if you are deceiving yourself in anything, not just religion.

And this is the biggest lie ever, to think or function, to see, detect and modify your own thoughts, is to detect a structure that is there, that exists. So at the very least you know you exist, if you believe it is impossible then we can perform a little experiment by having you walk off a cliff, since "truth is impossible" right? After all it's all an illusion! :P

Your behavior contradicts your thinking and that's all the evidence we need to exclude you from intelligentsia :P

Interestingly enough, the Cogito is not without its detractors. And indeed, even granting its validity, that is a long way from refuting skepticism.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:32 am

twoshots wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Interestingly enough, the Cogito is not without its detractors. And indeed, even granting its validity, that is a long way from refuting skepticism.

Define skepticism? Any words or philosophies misconceived make for erroneous thinking all the way down. If what knowledge has been handed down has errors in it, it doesn't matter much. Anything you think technically is a form of truth because it exists, the cogito is existence = truth, lies or incorrect statements, or undefined/pardoxical statements are merely mis-shapen truths (i.e. truth statements that have no congruency with what you are comparing, etc)

Take "This statement is false" there is no comparison in the statement, the statement exists, therefore it is true the statement exists AND it is true that it is incorrect in that it contains the world false, it is self-negating statement A, NOT A

The hidden context is the statement itself

This (truth) statement is negative true(false)

But it exists, therefore it is merely a contradiction - A and NOT A, or a nonsense statement.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2008, 2:14 am

greenblue wrote:
"What is Truth?" - Pontius Pilate.

dude you seriously need to shut up, obviously you cant eloborate your belief any further from the quote you heard, everybody determines there own truth, what is true to you may seem like a false reality to another, true intelligence determines how good you are at finding truth in its unbiased existence,

but of course im just rabbling non sense

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2008, 2:18 am

greenblue wrote:
chever wrote:
Empirical evidence indicates that theories conceived after smoking a huge bowl are typically incorrect.

I heard that you could get to see the truth of reality, with a great deal of overdose, but it comes with a catch.

everyone will point and laugh in disbelief of that truth??? lol

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:13 am

Don't think; just believe.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:12 am

slowmutant wrote:
Don't think; just believe.

Much easier said than done, especially when you've gone through your life functioning in a certain way.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:25 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

First of all yes, you would not believe out of habit, out of the fact that your parents just raised you in it, you wouldn't believe without critical thinking (be the case made regarding having faith without self-deception or without digging).

I really believe that when you analyze the heck out of the world, the human condition, the first glaring truth that usually hits you is the natural law/eugenic/animalistic aspect, that underneath under all our customs we really are apes on a lot of levels, we have self-interest clouding out logic, physical might or social guile still makes right rather than truth, people do quote unquote 'evil' things out of what's really just animalistic selfishness. If we really just let ourselves go, did what we wanted to do on emotional impulse, yes, we would be destroying society but at the same time if we devolved all the way back to square one - we'd really be no better or worse than apes out in the wild; they have tribal warfare and kill eachother, they kill any who look different or who are crippled; natural law has absolutely no justice, pretty much every nasty urge and particularly with pettiness - comes from our roots as animals.

While your mind starts to soak in that mess and you separate the fact that regardless of this, there is real truth out there, the world is one to one, a building doesn't both exist and not exist in the same place (ie. soliphism - at least with the physical world - is completely indefensible). The way your able to see the subcurrents in what's wrong with a society is not only will people's personal illusions make absolutely no sense but they'll all be so congruent, like something just told them to think the way they are.

Back when I was really agnostic boardering on atheist there was one question that absolutely drove me out of my mind. If religious people were technically worshipping the Easter Bunny, Zeus, or the Great Pumpkin in all reality - I both could not understand and even hated the fact that atheists could not understand human cause and effect, by many of the positions they held, couldn't understand the basis of human nature (still can't - the overtone is that a great many still think we're 100% tabula raza) and the Christians and religions, by some grand fluke, apparently for all the wrong reasons, got most of the answers right when it just came down to literally - cause and effect. The law of social cause and effect isn't a religious thing, it isn't a moral thing, it isn't something that can only some god can shine down and enlighten a person to; it takes little more than just paying objective attention rather than letting what you'd really want to think or what you wish reality was instead to get in the way.

What brought me back around, I saw miracles, had to admit to myself that yes - all of the above observations that I made about human nature and all the VERY pro darwinist-evolutionary things are true, absolutely true. However, they're only the visible pieces of our world and our universe. What we call 'reality' is what we can see, here, touch, taste, smell, or somehow quantify with scientific data. On the other hand though, that's our lot, that's our piece, thats what we can get our hands on, our heads around, and sink our teeth into in the moment.

The only other thing I look at, consistent structural irony of life. Personally, I believe that if God exists (I'm about 60-70% on this) that he is the sort of character that makes such a world - knowing what it is, knowing our struggles, and its really our hardest times, most painful trials and difficulties, that he gives us as gifts to help us grow, evolve, mature, expand, the dischord is even more poignant than the good times or blessings we're given. He also, for the most part, hides himself from our view, keeps things in a place so that miracles can always be debated away - as if he does not want any sign of himself disprovable, just so that those who wish to go the animal route have just as much credibility in their decision as those who decide to take the more spiritual route. Personally, whether I believe in God or not, I literally cannot go the animal route. Even when I was almost atheistic my emotionality is wired to work in such a way where practicing cruelty, lying, cheating, crushing people down with my ego until they cry just to flatten and pacify them to assert my authority - all the things that a 'real man' is supposed to do on that level - even if my bench press jumped up to 400 lbs and I had absolutely nothing to fear from physical retribution; I literally couldn't change my nature, if anything I'd feel much more likely to lose my inhibition to bullying people who like to inflict pain on and bully others.

That state and wiring I have, I really debate a lot (especially on the circumstances) whether its a gift or a weakness but it also brings me back to another point - evolution and 'only the strong survive'. Kindness, generosity, goodness, humility, these are all things that many people WANT to strive toward. However, if you look at a world that's sheerly - apes - you realize that any possible goodness that a person would have in them would be evolutionary suicide. Yes, you can build alliances and we do realize that no one is strong enough to take everyone on but, many of us have way too much of a drive - it overasserts, it goes beyond just animal tribal allegiences, it actually does get rewarded in the right social groups, but again - epecially with men - it makes us weaker. Stuff like that I really don't understand, the concept of goodness, particularly as well the spiritual side of emotion and creativity - really good music giving you chills and bringing tears to your eyes, wanting to grasp at things beyond this reality - all those things have absolutely nothing to do with eating, breathing, getting p---y, getting money, and dominating to make your genes survive above everyone elses.

Its those sorts of complexities that tell me - yes, the darwinistic evolutionary natural law/eugenics bit is THERE but, there's a lot more to it that we have not factored in.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:35 pm

greenblue wrote:
chever wrote:
Empirical evidence indicates that theories conceived after smoking a huge bowl are typically incorrect.

I heard that you could get to see the truth of reality, with a great deal of overdose, but it comes with a catch.

You could see the afterlife (or the blessed 'ceasing to exist' that atheism guesses at); a little extreme though and nothing you can bring back.

For me though, in my past, I was one of those people who was able to draw a LOT of epiphany from tripping (mushrooms, LSD, mescaline, DXM, or whatever else), things that had actual substance. I'll admit though, very spiritually overtoned, very profound, but at the same time these epiphanies tended to be much more about my life, what was really bugging me at the moment maybe that I hadn't been able to pin down just because of course its so complex and elaborate but part of it being that my defenses at least hold down thoughts that, while I'm not running from them when I'm sober to avoid the pain, but really the aspects of things that are worthless to loop through my head because they're at the moment things that are either beyond my control or things that I'm yearning to change or correct but have not found the means just yet.

On another note, I had times where I was really feeling down about things, down about myself, almost worried when I sat there and looked at the caps and stems in my hand, but later on had a very touching experience - almost like my subconcious was reassuring and comforting me, reasserting all my best attributes, reasserting my value to me, and telling me "Your a great person, you disserve and need to stick up for yourself and the internal value that you possess".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing this stuff and many people have terrible results, lose it, and I'll admit - this is just my wiring and I'm part of maybe 20 to 30% (conservative estimates though) who can handle it and can get positive from it. My point though, you don't want to write people off as idiots instantly when they talk about it - frame it from the context of "Are they idiots?" with the conversation completely unincluded, if they are intelligent and objective people - safe to say I think you can take them at their word.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:41 pm

ZakFiend wrote:

Having Faith in a belief, that is all the truth the faithful need, in most cases theirs is always the true standard, just like another persons different faith is their true standard, faith doesn't need to use logic.

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2008, 3:16 pm

Every ancient culture started out with original monotheism, which more or less had the same beliefs ideals, just different names, and it is from these monotheistic religions all other religions spawned from. So, all religion is more or less the same.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

Many religions had their origins in polytheism (many gods) or animism (everything has an 'anima' or spirit). Odd how the dominant religions of the world are now monotheistic.

Yes, all religions are more-or-less the same, but this is because religion is the Socio-Political expression of Faith, which is the belief in intangible and unprovable things. Some even say that Faith is the belief in the mere trustworthiness of an idea, and not necessarily in the idea itself.

Religionists rely on Faith, testimony, and imagination, while Scientists rely on repeatable events, verifiable facts, and peer-group review.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 3:28 pm

Sling wrote:
Every ancient culture started out with original monotheism, which more or less had the same beliefs ideals, just different names, and it is from these monotheistic religions all other religions spawned from. So, all religion is more or less the same.

You could say that of monotheisms, Zoroastrianism, Judaeism, Christianity, Islam, other later-day break-aways, the stories are usually either the same of similar with their differences being later and later addendums.

The only thing I'd have to historically debate in this regard, polytheism as well as nature worship came first; many of the people proposing monotheism really had a fight on their hands.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 3:31 pm

greenblue wrote:
"What is Truth?" - Pontius Pilate.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Freedom is slavery.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm

Freedom is not slavery.