Page 1 of 29 [ 459 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 7:31 pm

Is Atheism Satanism?

Post, flame, discuss, debate and shout about to your heart's content.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:36 pm

Christian Fundamentalists have become proficient in the art of manipulation. One of the ways in which protestantism seeks to mentally subjugate its followers is through fear and superstition. By acting very *sure* of something, NO MATTER HOW UnTrue or unsubstantiated it may be, its very easy to get people to go along with you because you make them believe that you're in on something that is beyond their perception. Satan represents "bad" in their mythology so they say that believing anything Other than what you're told is "bad" and "satanic".

chever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:49 pm

Satanism is a reactionary form of Christianity

So no

There was atheism well before Satanism

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm

G.K. Chesterton wrote words to the effect that people put their trust in things greater than themselves because they do not trust themselves to overcome adversity, thus their worship of Greater Things arises during times of want and fear - we never hear of a worship-filled religion appearing during times of peace and plenty.

(I'm paraphrasing ... haven't read Chesterton in decades ...)

Another point worth noting is that Proof of Claim Denies False Belief. It is not the belief in science that is blasphemous, it is the universal reality uncovered by scientific inquiry that reduces religion to outdated dogma and superstitious nonsense.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Few truer words were ever written. Paradoxically, they are from the Bible, book of John, chapter 8, verse 32 ... ironic, isn't it? The Bible promotes the very thing that releases free-thinking people from religion!

8)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:17 pm

Well, to a Christian, it is completely understandable to think that. However, to somebody other than that person, it is completely incorrect.

The issue is merely one of categorization of worldly phenomena, and so if we have a Christian working within a Christian framework, then the categorization of atheism as satanism does not seem particularly invalid, as in order to not believe in God you would have to turn your back on him and reject him as Satan did(God's existence being considered an obvious thing based upon Romans 1:20), thus, following Satan's path. This, of course, is not to be accepted by most people, but then again, would a thorough Biblical morality necessarily be accepted by most people as a valid interpretation of right and wrong? No. It is somewhat logically coherent though.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:28 pm

chever wrote:

So no

Atheism is also a reaction to Christianity. Atheism lacks the explicit figurehead of Satan, but it can certainly lay the groundwork for a religion devoted entirely to mocking Christianity. Both of these isms, you see, both of them deny God using the more subtle and the less subtle.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:31 pm

are we talking laveyyen satanism or what?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:31 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Atheism is also a reaction to Christianity.

someone should tell the chinese that. they'd get a good laugh out of it.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:33 pm

slowmutant wrote:
chever wrote:

So no

Atheism is also a reaction to Christianity. Atheism lacks the explicit figurehead of Satan, but it can certainly lay the groundwork for a religion devoted entirely to mocking Christianity. Both of these isms, you see, both of them deny God using the more subtle and the less subtle.

Satanism is inverted christianity. Unlike atheism, it fully acknowledges the existance of God but regards God as the enemy to work against. Atheism denies the existance of Any divine, supernatural entities which control physical reality.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:34 pm

Atheists mock Christianity, as well. They are enemies of God because they deny Him. Some are willful and malicious, others just apathetic.

As a Christian, I can't align myself with enemies of God.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:43 pm

slowmutant wrote:
chever wrote:

So no

It is definitely not a reaction to Christianity, Atheism is the disbelief in all gods, deities etc. Back in early times, before Christianity existed you could be an Atheist, meaning you didn't believe the gods of the belief systems of that period of time, so how would it be a reaction to Christianity considering it not only outdates it, but arguable out dates religion itself considering you don't have to be part of a religion to believe in a god or multiple gods. And I'm fairly sure the idea or belief in a divine creator was of course developed before even the first religions, and most likely there were some people during these early times that didn't believe in a divine creator, so I'd say Atheism probably outdates religions.

And are you saying Atheism or Satan could lay the groundwork for a religion devoted entirely to mocking Christianity? Satanism mocks all religions, in fact it's called Satanism because Satan in other languages means advisory or enemy and it's designed to be the enemy to all religions. Atheism for the record just has one belief, which is a disbelief in Gods, just as polytheism means belief in many Gods, and monotheism means belief in one God, Atheism means belief in No Gods. There's no 'evil' behind it or any of that, it's just people acknowledging there's no proof or logic in the God concept and not buying into it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:44 pm

The worship of science and the material world leaves morality behind, denies the existence of good and evil as spiritual realities ... as I said, bowing before Satan is an eventuality of this. The open worship of money, ie the golden calf, is another element of this.

If you don't worship the God of Scripture, you default to the God of This World, who we all know is Satan himself. When cast out of heaven for his rebellion, Lucifer was given dominion over the earth.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Atheists mock Christianity, as well. They are enemies of God because they deny Him. Some are willful and malicious, others just apathetic.

As a Christian, I can't align myself with enemies of God.

So, would you discriminate atheists?
Even agnostics or people of different religions deny God, and people with different "uacceptable" lifesyltes, would deny God, for that matter, according to that view, or would they not?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

I would oppose atheism on a religious and philosophical level, as any Christian would. There was a time when professing your non-belief would get you burned at the stake, but the 21st century is obviously a differerent time.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The worship of science and the material world leaves morality behind, denies the existence of good and evil as spiritual realities ... as I said, bowing before Satan is an eventuality of this. The open worship of money, ie the golden calf, is another element of this.

If you don't worship the God of Scripture, you default to the God of This World, who we all know is Satan himself. When cast out of heaven for his rebellion, Lucifer was given dominion over the earth.

...Do you honestly think Atheists worship science or worship at all for that matter? Most Atheists I know don't give a damn about science but also see no reason to be religious and find beliefs, especially yours to be laughable. There is no God to worship which is why we don't worship one, show us the God we need to worship, you can't because he isn't there. And by this I mean of course literately show us, not old scriptures which don't show us anything other than unrealistic writings.

And here's the hilarious part about Christianity, the thing that makes it more defendable than other religious beliefs around it's time, if there's something that makes it seem unreliable or untrue here's what you can say: Satan did it! That's right, the guardian of Christianity is Satan, he protects the belief more than anyone because if someone tries to disprove it, you can blame it on him. Terrific idea huh?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:52 pm

slowmutant wrote:
There was a time when professing your non-belief would get you burned at the stake, but the 21st century is obviously a differerent time.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?