Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hurricaneseye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2008, 6:31 pm

Any pacifists on this forum? Reply if you can.

Please visit http://www.petitiononline.com/bbcwnus/petition.html. Thanks!

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 6:42 pm

Indeed. I'm ironically exceedingly well armed, too.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 6:47 pm

No, I come from a military family, and proudly support our troops.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:31 pm

I am a 100% pacifist. I would not want to carry a gun even if it costs me some bad injuries or more. I would never want to join any military neither out of principle. I am also against the law that make private gun possession possible (luckily this does not exist here in Europe).

Yes, I am a convinced pacifist. I cannot see how someone can be pro-violence. Violence never solves anything long term, negotiation and mutual respect are the only ways out of a conflict.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:47 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
I am a 100% pacifist. I would not want to carry a gun even if it costs me some bad injuries or more. I would never want to join any military neither out of principle. I am also against the law that make private gun possession possible (luckily this does not exist here in Europe).

Yes, I am a convinced pacifist. I cannot see how someone can be pro-violence. Violence never solves anything long term, negotiation and mutual respect are the only ways out of a conflict.

What about self-defense? From the other point of view, couldn't it be considered morally treasonable to society to place your safety, a principled, peace-loving individual below that of a brutal killer?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:49 pm

I'm pro-violence

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:51 pm

Fighting for peace is a paradox that's true. There are as*holes in this world who could only be stopped by force, and they deserve every pound of force. The power must fall into the right hands, and that's why peace is fought for in the first place.

I'm not armed since I'm 17, but if I need to defend myself, I have no problem f*****g someone up.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:54 am

Self defense I would only apply when my life is really at risk. When only trying to beat me up not severely or when only trying to steal my valuables, I will not self defend because by doing that I would be on the same low level as the scumbag attacking me. I rather get beaten up than to use violence myself. Only if my life is in danger really, then self defense is the last resort. If the only thing is risk is to get beaten up or see my money or belongings stolen, then I rather let this happen than to use violence myself.

And I mean that, I have been there before. When I lived in Ireland I was beaten up twice on the streets. I did not self defend. I did not want to go as low as using violence myself. They stopped after just less than a minute of severa kicking and punching, because me not defending myself made it less fun for them (they could not prove they are the strongest when the victim doesnt even try to defend himself). I took the beatings but kept my dignity intact by not using violence myself.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:51 am

I am very close to a pacifist, I only accept violence when their is no other option to protect yourself or someone else. I see fighting, wars and the such as a childish choice that only plants the seeds for more violence to grow and spread.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 7:08 am

I'm a pacifist. If a problem can be solved without violence, it should be solved without violence.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

hurricaneseye

12 Sep 2008, 4:32 pm

Quote:
No, I come from a military family, and proudly support our troops.

I became a pacifist after I learned that a friend that I cared about was joining the Armed Forces. It caused me a lot of pain and fear. I thought: "What can I do to stop the same sort of pain from affecting somebody else?" And so I renouced my former beliefs.

And I also come from a semi-military family. My grandpa was in Korea (he never talks about it), and my step-grandpa is deaf in one ear from Korea. No one has joined the Forces in my family ever since.

Does anyone know any good pacifist websites out there?

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:02 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I'm a pacifist. If a problem can be solved without violence, it should be solved without violence.

:thumleft:

I didn't even know what pacifist meant until this thread.. .well surely now that there's a word for it, it's okay to state one's belief.. but if there was no word for it all you do is spark argument.. people are much more comfortable if they can place alabel on you and call you something.. 'he's just a pacifist, don't listen to him'.. it's very manipulative.. f**k that word.. i believe in peace not war

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:14 pm

I think pacifists should be subject to random beatings, the possibility of being killed on sight, and an eventual rounding up and mass slaughter.

hurricaneseye

12 Sep 2008, 5:21 pm

Quote:
I think pacifists should be subject to random beatings, the possibility of being killed on sight, and an eventual rounding up and mass slaughter.

Uh, excuse me? I thought we got along on this forum. Is it your tongue-in-cheek humor- again?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:24 pm

hurricaneseye wrote:
Quote:

Uh, excuse me? I thought we got along on this forum. Is it your tongue-in-cheek humor- again?

I don't think Orwell is joking. His family was killed by a roving band of pacifists.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:26 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
hurricaneseye wrote:
Quote:

I don't think Orwell is joking. His family was killed by a roving band of pacifists.

oh my god LOL that made me laugh.. that explains a lot of things..