Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

what kind of [size] church do you like best?
tiny 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
small 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
medium 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
large 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
super-large 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
megachurch 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
no church 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 27

treeheart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 6:23 pm

:(

anyone have this problem of going to a church that is too big?
[well big is realtive] but i was curious if anyone gets lost in big churches, don't know anyone, don't feel comfortable, and such?

i like smaller churches, i grew up in a smaller church untill it closed and we are now going to my grandparent's churh that is a good deal bigger...it is big but not anywhere concidered a megachurch....
and i don't like it...

i would prefer to go to a smaller church.

what about everyone else?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:34 pm

I like sneering at churches as I pass them on my way to the library

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:21 pm

Generally, if there are more people than names you can remember, then it is too large. People at that stage devalue the others around them making a more impersonal and less friendly atmosphere. Superchurches might be comparable to Sam's Club in my opinion.

Churches that don't have a building are usually the best I think, as is the one I'm going to now. A Church's goal should be providing discipleship and fellowship, not getting more surface area.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Generally, if there are more people than names you can remember, then it is too large.

Um... well, for me at least, that would limit the size of a church to a couple dozen at the absolute maximum, and that is really pushing it. I don't necessarily need to know everyone there very well to be comfortable in a given church.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:50 pm

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Generally, if there are more people than names you can remember, then it is too large.

Um... well, for me at least, that would limit the size of a church to a couple dozen at the absolute maximum, and that is really pushing it. I don't necessarily need to know everyone there very well to be comfortable in a given church.

It is possible to be comfortable, but it still makes it impersonal. If I were to list people, I could probably name a couple dozen before I get bored recalling names, but I can remember more than that amount.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:55 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If I were to list people, I could probably name a couple dozen before I get bored recalling names, but I can remember more than that amount.

Names and faces are tough for me. Which results in me making a complete ass of myself on a fairly regular basis when I fail to recognize people I should know.

Anyways, to answer the OP: I would prefer a smaller church in general. Crowds are bad for me, and I don't like large groups of people. The potential for sensory overload gets too great. The church I went to last week (missed this week because of a band trip :( ) had maybe 60 or so people in it. More than I will ever learn to know by name, but I'm not quite drowning.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:59 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Superchurches might be comparable to Sam's Club in my opinion.

Churches that don't have a building are usually the best I think, as is the one I'm going to now. A Church's goal should be providing discipleship and fellowship, not getting more surface area.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah... Get their communion wafers in bulk.

-Walt Whitman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:59 pm

I am more into mid-sized congregations.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 11:07 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Generally, if there are more people than names you can remember, then it is too large. People at that stage devalue the others around them making a more impersonal and less friendly atmosphere. Superchurches might be comparable to Sam's Club in my opinion.

I agree with you 100% now would you come to the church I go to and talk some sense into them for me pretty please.

Hillsong_Rocks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2008, 11:14 am

not got a prob wiv big churches. my gf h8s small churches though cos she went 2 1 where there was judgment and mega disagreements. bring back the old paster vs keep the new paster.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

I like a larger church such as the one I'm in, as it allows for greater opportunity for more to be done... the musical talent pool in the church I go to is so immense that we often have special music contributions to worship by string ensembles, brass quintets, etc. I don't like the concept of the megachurch though, since more often than not they are more a case of low-level theater than actual worship...

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2008, 9:53 pm

I attend a church which hovers around 200 members giver or take a few. I like it that way. I also visit another church in the area while I'm at achool and they probably have more than 200 people attend any 1 of their 3 sunday serivices. Their worship service is great, and their pastor amazing and if you really make an effort you might get to know some people but I often feel lost and insignificant in such a large church. This church tries really hard to avoid making people feel that way but they can only do so much when they probably have around 1,000 people comming and going every Sunday. The best way to feel "found" (for lack of a better contrasting word to lost) in a big church is to attend a Sunday School class, Small Group, or Bible Study in addition to attending the main service. This gives you a chance to get to know specific individuals and for them to get to know you so that if you see each other during service or outside of church you know them and they know you and hey who knows you might just become friends.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:49 am

KRIZDA88 wrote:
The best way to feel "found" (for lack of a better contrasting word to lost) in a big church is to attend a Sunday School class, Small Group, or Bible Study in addition to attending the main service. This gives you a chance to get to know specific individuals and for them to get to know you so that if you see each other during service or outside of church you know them and they know you and hey who knows you might just become friends.

Most decent large churches (though not megachurches) tend to have a wealth of programs available, both on sunday mornings as well as throughout the week.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:21 pm

HUUUUUUGE catherdial for me. Catholic churches are usualy quiet and aside from a few babies crying the only person you hear is the preist. I just hate when church is over and having everyone come up to you trying to socalise (get away from me you freak!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:36 pm

I love the sprawling church complexes that were built up over a period of decades (or even centuries). They're so easy to get lost in, they're quiet, and if anyone does come by all you have to do is clasp your hands, bow your head, and they'll leave you alone!

I'd like to buy an old church one day and convert it to my own personal dwelling space.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 3:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
I love the sprawling church complexes that were built up over a period of decades (or even centuries). They're so easy to get lost in, they're quiet, and if anyone does come by all you have to do is clasp your hands, bow your head, and they'll leave you alone!

I'd like to buy an old church one day and convert it to my own personal dwelling space.

I hear you on that one...

When I was in confirmation class we were given the tour of our church building. Not just like all the commonly travelled spaces but like through some old decrepit nooks that haven't seen the light of day in years. If the church didn't burn down 4 months after we took that tour I would still hide myself in some of those places today...