Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 8:56 pm

z0rp wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Atheists do not repsect religion.

You are by far one of the most ignorant arrogant people I have spoken with in recent times. Most Atheists do respect religion, they just don't have one. Not having a religion doesn't mean you hate or lack respect for it, it just simply means you do not have one. I don't respect religion myself and I'm an Atheist, but that's me, many people are different. Just because you're not a Buddhist or a Muslim doesn't mean you have no respect for those beliefs does it? And if you do lack respect for Buddhism and Islam how can you expect respect for own Christian beliefs?

slowmutant wrote:
Other atheists on this site have unbounded vitriol for religion. You are an anomaly in that respect. You're not angry or bitter or passive-aggressive like other atheists on WrongPlanet. Your attitude and worldview isn't like theirs. I don't quite know what to think. :?

Really now? You know, I want to get your exact view on this. Name some Atheists on WrongPlanet that you feel are angry or bitter, and also tell me what you feel their worldview is.

I don't think it would be a good idea to name names.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm

Eh, if I was a ruler of a country I wouldn't want immigrants to keep their backwards culture and force it upon my people. Assimilate or face deportation I say.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

30 Sep 2008, 4:56 am

slowmutant wrote:
I can't believe the temerity of British Muslims. In no uncertain terms they demand the total surrender of their host nation. They terrorize the people of Britain and walkaround like they own the place. It's an outrage to them that Britain has its own cultursal identity. Britsh Muslims are outraged by the fact that there is a place called Great Britain whose native religion is Christianity. :evil:

[citation needed]

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 2:41 pm

oscuria wrote:
Eh, if I was a ruler of a country I wouldn't want immigrants to keep their backwards culture and force it upon my people. Assimilate or face deportation I say.

Wow, that's a pretty damn racist thing to say. "Act like us or get out." Hmm...Don't many NT's always tell us to assimilate or shut up basically the same thing to an extent? Not too mention the fact that most Muslims aren't nutjobs, and fit in reasonably well. In fact, in the US, we have a MUCH bigger problem with Dominionists trying to overthrow the Constitution and create a Theocracy. Muslims can fit in a country. The only problem the influence of Saudis, promoting Wahabism and Salafism. Not to mention Qutbism being promoted by the Muslim Brotherhood and a few other groups. Most Muslim ideologies are fine.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 4:29 pm

oscuria wrote:

Yes to the second, no to the first. As a trekkie, I try to hold to the Prime Directive. It's their choice to keep whatever culture they want, and we have no right to interfere, unless they interfere with us.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:40 pm

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
oscuria wrote:

Wow, that's a pretty damn racist thing to say. "Act like us or get out." Hmm...Don't many NT's always tell us to assimilate or shut up basically the same thing to an extent? Not too mention the fact that most Muslims aren't nutjobs, and fit in reasonably well. In fact, in the US, we have a MUCH bigger problem with Dominionists trying to overthrow the Constitution and create a Theocracy. Muslims can fit in a country. The only problem the influence of Saudis, promoting Wahabism and Salafism. Not to mention Qutbism being promoted by the Muslim Brotherhood and a few other groups. Most Muslim ideologies are fine.

where do you locate Malcolm X???

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:45 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
oscuria wrote:

Yes to the second, no to the first. As a trekkie, I try to hold to the Prime Directive. It's their choice to keep whatever culture they want, and we have no right to interfere, unless they interfere with us.

The reason why the USA should be less fussy about migration of other cultures to their land is because the USA was a melting pot from the beginning (after having exterminated 80% of the natives of course. So, yes people swear an oath to the Bible and say that they embrace the American culture, blah blah, but in their hearts they will still hold on to their own beliefs. You have Africans, Sikhs, Tibetans, Thailands largest second city after Bangkok is San Francisco, the boat people from Vietnam and Laos, and recently you even adopted hundreds of Hmong refugees from Thailand and Laos..the list is long, while Europe has not been en never was open to an influx of aliens...

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:14 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
If a person is Muslim and wishes to live by Shariah law that is fine as long as he does not expect me to.

That's what I'm trying to express. That's the essence of it.

And what makes you think that Sharia is enforced over everyone in Britain? Only 5 courts are employing Sharia in the UK. All of the laws relate to domestic issues - marriage, divorce, inheritance, etc. This dual system has existed in India for over 60 years, without a single conflict. In fact, while most of India's common law is derived from British common law, this is one aspect from which the British have taken a leaf out of India's book.

Stop overreacting.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 7:19 pm

Loborojo wrote:
Hurricane_Delta wrote:
oscuria wrote:

We can debate where Nation of Islam is within the realm of Muslim beliefs, or if it is even in it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:36 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
A small minority of Muslims live in the UK, amongst that minority an even smaller minority is asking if Sharia can be applied as an OPTION

A basic tenet of national sovereignty is a functional legal system. In Western countries, we have legal systems that, at their best, ensure equitable outcomes and justice; obviously they are far from perfect in practice. Setting up a sort of shadow legal system, based on religious law and authorizing things like stoning for adultery, directly undermines the secular legal system and provides abhorrent outcomes (again, the stoning for adultery example). We also know how easily people can be coerced into giving their "consent" to have the cases settled under sharia law.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:39 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:
A small minority of Muslims live in the UK, amongst that minority an even smaller minority is asking if Sharia can be applied as an OPTION

We also know how easily people can be coerced into giving their "consent" to have the cases settled under sharia law.

yep

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:01 pm

Loborojo wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:

We also know how easily people can be coerced into giving their "consent" to have the cases settled under sharia law.

yep

Yes, their "consent."

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 11:13 pm

Many of you seem to be against Sharia Law. I would suggest if you don't want radical setting up a "shadow" law, you start fighting the radical ideologies. Really this is very simple. Many radicals do not seem to have a good understanding of Islam (many in the Taliban, for example, learned about Islam from barely literate preachers), just as fundamentalist Christians in the US do not have a good understanding of Christianity. Find a moderate Muslim, or talk to one you know and learn about moderate and liberal islam. Learn about the Quran. Then, when you see a nutjob, tear down his arguements with his own holy book. This strategy works very well with Fundamentalist Christians in the US, and it should work well against radical Muslims.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:44 am

slowmutant wrote:
Loborojo wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:

yep

Yes, their "consent."

Persons own fault if he lets himself be put under pressure to accept the case under sharia law. If we go think this far and think that of course anyone accepting the sharia trial was put under pressure, then the discussion has no point because this sort of arguments make no sense really. They are no excuse to drop the idea, because the person who accepts the trial under sharia is responsible for his decision, regardless if he really supports his own decision or not. If I sign a contract against my own will but under pressure of my family, this is still my own signature and my own responsability. "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice", if you get what I mean.

Other than that, stoning, beheading etc (which, apart from Iran and Saudi and some Nigerian regions, is rarely applied in the islamic world) go against British law and thus could not be applied. The sharia would basically be usable only to decide matters such as divorce, family law, etc but without corporal and capital punishment as these are contrary to what UK law is allowing.

Some people here look very far just to bash Islam, as if this is a way to protect their own religion. If your christian faith is so fragile that you need to provocate people believing other faiths, then maybe there is something you need to question in your own believes. Otherwise I dont understand why someone would feel the need to provocate Muslims.

PS and to avoid misunderstandings: by the latter I do not out any disrespect to christianity, I however notice a few people here (emphasisis on "a few") have a tribalist undertone, as if it is "my religion versus their religion". Bit of tolerance from both sides of the spectrum and the world would be a safer place.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 6:48 am

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
Many of you seem to be against Sharia Law. I would suggest if you don't want radical setting up a "shadow" law, you start fighting the radical ideologies. Really this is very simple. Many radicals do not seem to have a good understanding of Islam (many in the Taliban, for example, learned about Islam from barely literate preachers), just as fundamentalist Christians in the US do not have a good understanding of Christianity. Find a moderate Muslim, or talk to one you know and learn about moderate and liberal islam. Learn about the Quran. Then, when you see a nutjob, tear down his arguements with his own holy book. This strategy works very well with Fundamentalist Christians in the US, and it should work well against radical Muslims.
Amen to THAT.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 7:02 am

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
oscuria wrote:

QFT ^^

Loborojo wrote:

He became a Sunni Muslim one year before his assasination. He had left the Nation of Islam.

The Nation of Islam has a racist ideology which is against the anti-racist teachings of the Qur'an and prophet Muhammed (S). The first man to recite the adhan (call to prayer), was Bilal, a freed African slave.

The Nation of Islam has a belief that God was incarnated on Earth as W. Fard Muhammad, again, human incarnations of God are impossible, and such belief is absolutely forbidden in Islam. The only other "Islamic" sect to share this belief is the Druze. The Alawites also have an almost divine-like place for Ali. Both sects, unlike the NOI, are extremely secretive.

Mainstream Islam teaches that Muhammad was the last of the messengers that Allah has sent to mankind--there would be no more, and the one for all to follow. The Nation of Islam believes that Elijah Muhammad was also a messenger and was taught by God Himself. Again, incompatible with mainstream Islam.

As far as Muslims are concerned (Sunni, Shi'a, and Ibadi), the NOI is a heretical sect, along with the Druze, Alevis, and Alawites.