Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2008, 8:02 am

Why does it seem that a large proportion of our species is incapable of specificity? Most people I encounter often generalize wrecklesly. I post this because it occurs so frequently. I am not immune from this though It is my experience that I do this less often than many of the personalities I come into contact with. I have read before that this is part of our human programming. On a basic level this seems to make sense. Though it also seems that being aware of when we generalize can assist us in the deterance of many conflicts. As an example, have you ever heard someone say that "That person is a bad influence." It is not the person who is bad, though perhaps some of their actions may be questionable considering that everything seems to be based on relative perspective. An individual I know recently stated, "I would not live there, it is a bad neighborhood." It is not the neighborhood that is bad, it is the perceived negative actions of some people who reside in said neighbor hood. What are some of your thoughts, comments, opinions?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:34 am

Well, just look at your location. Earth is pretty general.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2008, 8:52 am

I use that location because many people I have encountered often negatively discriminate based on geographical location.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:13 am

Sand wrote:
Well, just look at your location. Earth is pretty general.

Mine is even more general ... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:27 am

Pantopia = Utopia; everywhere and nowhere.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:38 am

Generalization is the human's way of being able to make sense of it all... to be able to understand a potentially infinite number of subjects with a finite mind...

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:59 am

It's also a way of smearing a whole sector of humanity with the bad characteristics of a few.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

Generalising is a natural characteristic of everyone, probably of many animals too. I would say the important thing is to be aware when one is generalising and be aware that the generalisation may not be accurate when applied to a specific individual.

For example, late night you are walking home alone, you go down a subway and there is a group of 4 or 5 young men dressed in punk clothing. They appear to be drunk and rowdy, swearing, pushing and shoving each other. Generalising, but your first instinct is likely to be one of generalising and sensing this as a potential hostile situation so you may chose to walk an alternative route before they see you. It is quite possible that you could walk past these young men and there be no incident or they could even be friendly! But instinct kicks in and makes a generalisation.

If a dog is repeatedly beaten by its owner and a stranger raises his hand will not the dog back away or attack? Making a generalisation that humans are dangerous?

If you see lots of news articles about Muslim extremism, terrorism and violence that runs the risk of being generalised in your mind. So for example if you find yourself working with a Muslim do any negative associations and generalisations arise in your mind? Maybe so, but do you act on it and become hostile to this person without cause or do you see through your negative generalisation and allow yourself to see the person as a human being not as an object of hate?

We all generalise (a generalisation) but knowing when and why we do it is important, and to know its limits.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:51 pm

Have a look at your own words, from a slightly closer perspective:

Psimulus wrote:
Why does it seem that a large proportion of our species is incapable of specificity? Most people I encounter often generalize wrecklesly. I post this because it occurs so frequently. I am not immune from this though It is my experience that I do this less often than many of the personalities I come into contact with. I have read before that this is part of our human programming. On a basic level this seems to make sense. Though it also seems that being aware of when we generalize can assist us in the deterance of many conflicts...

Generalizing is inevitable. Our minds are wired to classify the world into categories to better make sense of it. All words are generalizations, ways to compartmentalize reality into manageable pieces.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:53 pm

All generalizations are wrong.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2008, 2:10 pm

carturo222 wrote:
Have a look at your own words, from a slightly closer perspective:

Psimulus wrote:
Why does it seem that a large proportion of our species is incapable of specificity? Most people I encounter often generalize wrecklesly. I post this because it occurs so frequently. I am not immune from this though It is my experience that I do this less often than many of the personalities I come into contact with. I have read before that this is part of our human programming. On a basic level this seems to make sense. Though it also seems that being aware of when we generalize can assist us in the deterance of many conflicts...

Generalizing is inevitable. Our minds are wired to classify the world into categories to better make sense of it. All words are generalizations, ways to compartmentalize reality into manageable pieces.

I was aware of almost every single generalization I was making. Thank you though for the critique :) I could have worded this way if I were not paying attention - Why does it seem that our species is incapable of specificity? People I encounter generalize recklessly. I post this because it occurs all the time. I am not immune from this though. I do this less often than other people. I have read before that this is part of human programming. This makes sense. Being aware can assist in the deterence of conflict.

I suppose my main point was to highlight how often many of us are not aware of how we generalize. Again, I am not perfect either. Perfection is a relative term that is most probably impossible.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 3:37 pm

In dealing with a mass of data to generalize is to find some coherent form of response that can be relied upon to obtain uniform results. Nothing wrong with that.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:30 pm

I hate generalizations.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:44 pm

People form heuristics and categories. It's a simple fact of reasoning. :roll:

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:53 pm

twoshots wrote:
People form heuristics and categories. It's a simple fact of reasoning.

Yeah, what he said...generally speaking... :D

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:21 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
All generalizations are wrong.

Well, that's rather... nonspecific.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.