Other 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
I'm still undecided 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I'm a dang foreigner who just wants to see the results. 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 69

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:09 pm

Personally, I'm voting for Bob Barr. If you put "other" then say who it is... I demand thee!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:23 pm

Why Barr? He sucks, not even a real libertarian.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 3:28 pm

Wow I'm the only one who said screw the system?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:37 pm

Synth wrote:

I would support a return to monarchism, but that's not really an option at this point.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:41 pm

<-- Him.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 3:43 pm

Ha, I would vote for you 8)

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 3:45 pm

Orwell wrote:
Synth wrote:

I would support a return to monarchism, but that's not really an option at this point.
I guess what my point was is that I can never agree with people running for president, and I can never agree with Liberalism so I choose to not have anything to do with it.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:07 pm

Orwell wrote:
Why Barr? He sucks, not even a real libertarian.

It's mostly a protest vote to tell the federal government that they have too much power. I'd much rather vote for a good Centrist candidate (like Jesse Ventura), but sadly there are none this year. Plus if Bob Barr gets enough votes, the Libertarian Party will have easier ballot access in future elections (at least that's what I've heard).

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm

I'm voting for Bob Barr. Voting for either major party candidate would be a horrible choice. Bob Barr isn't perfect, but there's never a perfect candidate. Importantly, giving Barr a significant percentage of the vote would make people (voters and politicians) consider libertarianism a little more seriously.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 5:01 am

Orwell wrote:

I suppose England could annex us and take us back as a colony; howerver, I don't know how many Brits would really appreciate calling Americans countrymen again.

I, for one, oppose your suggestion, but that's just me.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:06 am

One has to ask something. Would voting really change the situation? I mean, even the best politicians will fail to please everyone. I mean, in Australia, we have three main parties, although two of them are currently in coalition. We also have a number of what you would call third parties, although really, they tend to have the balance of power in some cases.

On sabbatical...

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:37 am

Quatermass wrote:
One has to ask something. Would voting really change the situation? I mean, even the best politicians will fail to please everyone.

As the past eight horrifying years of the Bush/Cheney régime have shown, the results are what count, not whether or not people were pleased.

The Republicans benefited immensely from the prosperity of the Clinton years, even as they attempted to drive him out of office over a few bits of action under the desk of the Oval Office.

Voting certainly changed the situation when Bush was elected, er, appointed, to come in and 'clean up' the White House. In the name of 'morality,' he has humiliated the nation, destabilized the entire Middle East, ripped Iraq to pieces at an enormous cost in human life and taxpayer money, destroyed the US economy (as well as the global markets), and has generally made the world less safe for everyone - and all with the slimmest margin of victory. This was a case where the votes really did count, and the tipping over toward Bush changed the world.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 1:40 pm

CityAsylum wrote:
Voting certainly changed the situation when Bush was elected, er, appointed, to come in and 'clean up' the White House. In the name of 'morality,' he has humiliated the nation, destabilized the entire Middle East, ripped Iraq to pieces at an enormous cost in human life and taxpayer money, destroyed the US economy (as well as the global markets), and has generally made the world less safe for everyone - and all with the slimmest margin of victory. This was a case where the votes really did count, and the tipping over toward Bush changed the world.

It kinda makes you wonder. If Bush had lost to Al Gore in 2000, would the world be THAT much different? I could see the economy being a bit better, and we would probably not be in Iraq, but 9/11 still would have happened (and in turn we would have invaded Afghanistan and probably already captured bin Laden), the world would still think that the US is a nation of pricks, and we would still be dependent on foreign oil (for all the government does, it's really the oil corporations that keep us dependent). We would probably also be a bit less concerned with the environment, since Gore wouldn't have had time to make An Inconvenient Truth, and we would be fed up with his environmental policies by now...

I'm not saying that I would have rather not had Gore elected in 2000 (if anything, Bush is the dumbest president the US has ever had), but it's not like having a democrat in office is going to make it all better overnight...

Last edited by ToadOfSteel on 17 Oct 2008, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 2:06 pm

If Gore had been appointed by the SCOTUS, 9-11 would have happened and rather than blow the international sympathy we gained from that by invading a country that had nothing to do with it (Iraq), we would have saved the billions in national debt that war is now costing us, and we very likely would be at least a little farther along in researching and producing alternative energy than we are now.
Just those two things would make a pretty big difference in the position that we are in today.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 2:41 pm

I'm voting for Obama.

If Al Gore was President and not George Bush:

9/11 would have happened anyway
No Iraq War
No Economic Crisis
The US would have invested in alternative energy, instead of foreign oil

The US would close to last in environmental scores.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 2:44 pm

<-- Him.

Link -->Fnord Announces Candidacy!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.