Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 6:52 am

watch these videos!

http://www.vivapalestina.org/video3.htm

I am so glad that people take positive action into their own hands and it makes my heart sing :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:30 am

lotusblossom wrote:
watch these videos!

I am so glad that people take positive action into their own hands and it makes my heart sing :D

The reason for the "illegal wall" (built entirely in Israeli territory) was the suicide bombers coming into Israel from Gaza.

ruveyn

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:24 am

ruveyn wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
watch these videos!

The reason for the "illegal wall" (built entirely in Israeli territory) was the suicide bombers coming into Israel from Gaza.

ruveyn

This is not about suicide bombers but about people from all over britain, france, spain and now northern africa (the convoy is now in morroco) coming together to bring aid to injured and homeless people.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:00 am

ruveyn wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
watch these videos!

ruveyn

This quote from http://www.auphr.org/thewall/

The wall serves purposes that go way beyond any Israeli security needs. The wall consolidates Israel's illegal settlements through the (again) illegal confiscation of land. The wall severs the ties of thousands of Palestinians from their homes, schools, families, towns, farms, and water. Future stages of the wall, carefully held secret by the Israeli government but discerned by the careful examination of military land confiscation orders (and reported upon by B'tselem, the Israeli human rights organization), indicate that the final stages of the wall are planned to completely surround the Palestinians and divide them into cantons and ghettos, permanent prisoners and refugees in their own land. The final stages of the wall don't even get close to Israel's own border on the Green line.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

Sand wrote:

The wall serves purposes that go way beyond any Israeli security needs. The wall consolidates Israel's illegal settlements through the (again) illegal confiscation of land. The wall severs the ties of thousands of Palestinians from their homes, schools, families, towns, farms, and water. Future stages of the wall, carefully held secret by the Israeli government but discerned by the careful examination of military land confiscation orders (and reported upon by B'tselem, the Israeli human rights organization), indicate that the final stages of the wall are planned to completely surround the Palestinians and divide them into cantons and ghettos, permanent prisoners and refugees in their own land. The final stages of the wall don't even get close to Israel's own border on the Green line.

The Palis brought it on themselves, by making continuing war against Israel. In a war, the losers lose. I think Israel ought to give it back the the Palis a day after we give it back to the Indians.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

The Palis brought it on themselves, by making continuing war against Israel. In a war, the losers lose. I think Israel ought to give it back the the Palis a day after we give it back to the Indians.

ruveyn

That's an excellent point. The genocide of the American Indians is a very good comparison to what the Israelis are doing to the former residents of the area. What makes me uncomfortable is your enthusiastic approval.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:47 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

That's an excellent point. The genocide of the American Indians is a very good comparison to what the Israelis are doing to the former residents of the area. What makes me uncomfortable is your enthusiastic approval.

There was no genocide of aboriginal Americans. There are more aboriginals alive today than during the time of Custer.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

There was no genocide of aboriginal Americans. There are more aboriginals alive today than during the time of Custer.

ruveyn

Quote from http://www.religioustolerance.org/genocide5.htm

The population of North America prior to the first sustained European contact in 1492 CE is a matter of active debate. Various estimates of the pre-contact Native population of the continental U.S. and Canada range from 1.8 to over 12 million. 4 Over the next four centuries, their numbers were reduced to about 237,000 as Natives were almost wiped out. Author Carmen Bernand estimates that the Native population of what is now Mexico was reduced from 30 million to only 3 million over four decades. 13 Peter Montague estimates that Europeans once ruled over 100 million Natives throughout the Americas.
European extermination of Natives started with Christopher Columbus' arrival in San Salvador in 1492. Native population dropped dramatically over the next few decades. Some were directly murdered by Europeans. Others died indirectly as a result of contact with introduced diseases for which they had no resistance -- mainly smallpox, influenza, and measles.
Later European Christian invaders systematically murdered additional Aboriginal people, from the Canadian Arctic to South America. They used warfare, death marches, forced relocation to barren lands, destruction of their main food supply -- the Buffalo -- and poisoning. Some Europeans actually shot at Indians for target practice. 14
Oppression continued into the 20th century, through actions by governments and religious organizations which systematically destroyed Native culture and religious heritage. One present-day byproduct of this oppression is suicide. Today, Canadian Natives have the highest suicide rate of any identifiable population group in the world. Native North Americans are not far behind.
The genocide against American Natives was one of the most massive, and longest lasting genocidal campaigns in human history. It started, like all genocides, with the oppressor treating the victims as sub-humans. It continued until almost all Natives were wiped of the face of the earth, along with much of their language, culture and religion.