Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 6:50 pm

OTTAWA - The Carleton University Students' Association has voted to drop a cystic fibrosis charity as the beneficiary of its annual Shinearama fundraiser, supporting a motion that argued the disease is not "inclusive" enough.

Cystic fibrosis "has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men" said the motion read Monday night to student councillors, who voted almost unanimously in favour of it.

"The reasoning behind this is totally ridiculous. Eventually cystic fibrosis is a fatal disease. I wouldn't wish it on anyone," said Marie Lunney, a Carleton graduate who has worked as a foundation volunteer.

source

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 7:55 pm

Wow, that is f*****g stupid.

I can't believe I actually agreed with you on something. I feel so dirty. :(

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2008, 8:52 pm

codarac wrote:
Cystic fibrosis "has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men" said the motion read Monday night to student councillors, who voted almost unanimously in favour of it.

LOL. Wow the publicity from that is going to massively backfire...

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 9:22 pm

Not only is this very stupid, but it may end up having a backlash WORSE than the Prop 8 passing.

Or at least I hope it does.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 10:20 pm

Hah, I was just reading about that tonight. That's the second Ontario university doing stupid PC s**t, the other being Queen's and their recent insertion of conversation monitors in the halls.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2008, 10:30 pm

ignisfatuus wrote:
Hah, I was just reading about that tonight. That's the second Ontario university doing stupid PC sh**, the other being Queen's and their recent insertion of conversation monitors in the halls.

Oh god I would love to go to that university. I would alternate between the seven words you cant say on TV, proclaiming my terrorist aspirations, mumbling coded messages to friends, and speaking plainly to people who weren't there.

Don't you love precedent trials?

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 11:21 pm

Even though I agree with you on this post, why should I take you seriously as every post you make b*****s about how bad white christians have it?

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2008, 12:20 am

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
Even though I agree with you on this post, why should I take you seriously as every post you make b*****s about how bad white christians have it?

I live in northern Alabama. I am white but not a christian.

I once had a white christian try to tell me how badly white christians were discriminated against. I just started laughing. She tried to explain her position and I just kept laughing over her. Eventually she and her group of friends walked away from the whole conversation, and I was left free to nurse the headache hearing her talk had given me.

Inappropriate laughter solves another one of lives problems!

(seriously though, affirmative action is legislative reinforced racism, and alot of people forget the absolute value signs around racism - reverse racism is still racism)

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:22 am

Do those of other races/sexes that dont get cystic fibrosis actually WANT to have it more inclusive? I very much doubt it. In some places, equality can only be a bad thing....

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:30 am

I am sure they would do the same for people with sickle cell anemia, its also inclusive to black people, PC's are all f****d in the head.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:04 am

That's pretty messed up. People suffering from cystic fibrosis deserve our help. As do people with sickle-cell anemia. I don't care who's suffering from a disease; if there is suffering we should seek to reduce it.

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
(seriously though, affirmative action is legislative reinforced racism, and alot of people forget the absolute value signs around racism - reverse racism is still racism)

Affirmative action also engenders too much backlash from people who are not in the legislatively favored races.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:52 pm

Its my understand that prenatal testing(and selective abortion) is decimating the incidence of diseases like Cystic Fibrosis, Tay Sachs, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and other fatal genetic diseases. But yes, thats ridiculous and stupid. Do you have a link?

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:04 pm

Hey, I take you seriously.

In my other lives I do have some other interests besides fighting the New World Order.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:32 pm

codarac wrote:

In my other lives I do have some other interests besides fighting the New World Order.

Dude, there is no New World Order.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:53 pm

The seeds of evil fall lightly in the fertile soil of the minds who proposed this. Seriously, what can be going through someone's mind if they believe that people affected by this serious disease do not deserve help because its inflection is not "diverse" enough? It seems to me to be the same kind of mind that wouldn't be uncomfortable with genocide. Can't they just support multiple charities and divide up the funds or switch from year to year? This charity isn't exactly Help Rich Old White Men Buy a New Yacht.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:10 pm

Delirium wrote:
codarac wrote:

Dude, there is no New World Order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7i0wCFf8g
Still think there is no New World Order?