Thoughts on a Canadian Coalition Government crisis

Page 2 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

How functional are coalition governments?
Yes (explain) 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
No (explain) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I do not know (reason) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Who cares? (explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:16 pm

Coalition Canada Party topic

Apparently,some members of the Bloc party might be in line for some Senate seats. Since the Senate does have influence, this is a problm, too.

I was just messaged by a member who was surprised that now the Canadian Government has less stablity than its US counterpart. This itself is bad for the economy. Governments need strong leadership, clear politcy, sound fiscal management and the confidence of the voter. This is not happening right now. :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

sorry canada....you're still stuck with crappy canadian content laws.

MAPLE for the loss!!

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:12 pm

Right now I'm looking at a provincial election that could seriously affect my life in Quebec. The PQ wishes to strengthen Bill 101, the 'Language Laws'. I already hate the way they are, and find them to be an unnecessary drain on Quebec resources, morality and reputation. If the PQ wins this election they will give more power to the 'French Language Protection Office', whom I personally refer to as the PQ Brownshirts, and additionally will make speaking French mandatory in business. This is not only a serious abuse of Human rights, it will also drive out whats left of the High-Tech industry in Quebec, much of which has been steadily leaving since Bill 101 was first instituted more then 30 years ago. Its my sincere hope that the Bloc, the parent party of the PQ, will be left out of the coalition.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:15 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Right now I'm looking at a provincial election that could seriously affect my life in Quebec. The PQ wishes to strengthen Bill 101, the 'Language Laws'. I already hate the way they are, and find them to be an unnecessary drain on Quebec resources, morality and reputation. If the PQ wins this election they will give more power to the 'French Language Protection Office', whom I personally refer to as the PQ Brownshirts, and additionally will make speaking French mandatory in business. This is not only a serious abuse of Human rights, it will also drive out whats left of the High-Tech industry in Quebec, much of which has been steadily leaving since Bill 101 was first instituted more then 30 years ago. Its my sincere hope that the Bloc, the parent party of the PQ, will be left out of the coalition.

So let me get this straight.. in Canada you guys have laws that mandate what language you're allowed to speak?

That's just wrong.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:18 pm

sartresue wrote:
Governments need strong leadership, clear politcy, sound fiscal management and the confidence of the voter. This is not happening right now. :evil:

interesting...let's run that down with the US government...

bush:

leadership: fail
clear policy: fail
sound fiscal management: epic fail
confidence of the voter: this doesn't count because the US vote is generally a moron.

obama:

leadership: pass
clear policy: fail
sound fiscal management: epic fail so far
confidence of the voter: again, average US voter = ignorant moron. their confidence doesn't matter nearly as much as their complete lack of comprehension of the government and world affairs.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

Fraya wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

So let me get this straight.. in Canada you guys have laws that mandate what language you're allowed to speak?

That's just wrong.

Not exactly. The rest of Canada is pretty much British Civil & Criminal Code with various Canada-unique clauses. However in Quebec, after the French president Charles Du Gaulle spoke at the Montreal Expo '67 (uttering the famous, or infamous, line 'Vive la Quebec Libre!' or 'Long live a Free Quebec') French Quebec nationalism went up 1000%. Its a long topic to delve into but they've made life very difficult for anybody who isn't French and have attempted to separate Quebec from Canada twice so far. This is another major reason why the Bloc should be excluded. They are a separatist party. As far as I'm concerned they're guilty of treason to my country, and guilty of turning Quebec into a backwater of ignorance and bigotry.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 7:08 pm

Coalescing into a Bushleague/Bloc-head scenario topic

I believe Harper has been too Bushwhacked and this has made the Bloc a spectre to be feared. I do not like signed deals. Remember what happened to chamberlain vis-a-vis Hitler in 1939.

This world economic crisis is causing all sorts of stains to come to light on the political carpet. People are so worried they might settle for short term "balance" instead of long term stability. I had a bad feeling about this Harper minority (which I did not vote for). He has been called an intelligent man but political reality needs more than Duceppe separatism, dallying Dion, hothead Harperism and La-la Layton.

Parliament works with all parties' support, not just caucus. Compromise is needed now, we need to focus on the economy.

So I have now decided that a coalition is not a great idea.

Next Monday will not come soon enough.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2008, 9:22 am

I hope poeples here have the intelligence to do some search by themselves cause what is depicted here is far from the thruth...

Quote:
Its a long topic to delve into but they've made life very difficult for anybody who isn't French and have attempted to separate Quebec from Canada twice so far.

HAHAHAH..... life is alreday difficult for those who only speaks french. If i would decice tomorrow to stop speaking english, I, as thousands of other QC FRENCH NATIVE, would lose our jobs. Hey, i'm not even able to beeing served decently in my own language when i go to the grocery. I'm sorry if you find we're making life hard for you, it's because we're trying to ease it a bit from hundreds of years of oppression from you.... so gimme a break and stop your propaganda

the referendum was lost because Canada cheated. They spent millions, they reduced the plane ticket's prices so thousands of, opportunistic, canadians could come here and manifest... Yes, they did that.....

And BTW, ..... BC wants to separate, and Ontario too. This country is dead. I don't give it 10 more years....

so i agree what is happening now is not a good thing for 'CANADA' but it is VERY good for what will survive after.....

I imagine very well 4 or 5 new countries, all independant.... and no more canada

monty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

coyote wrote:
I hope poeples here have the intelligence to do some search by themselves cause what is depicted here is far from the thruth...

Quote:
Its a long topic to delve into but they've made life very difficult for anybody who isn't French and have attempted to separate Quebec from Canada twice so far.

HAHAHAH..... life is alreday difficult for those who only speaks french. If i would decice tomorrow to stop speaking english, I, as thousands of other QC FRENCH NATIVE, would lose our jobs. Hey, i'm not even able to beeing served decently in my own language when i go to the grocery. I'm sorry if you find we're making life hard for you, it's because we're trying to ease it a bit from hundreds of years of oppression from you.... so gimme a break and stop your propaganda

the referendum was lost because Canada cheated. They spent millions, they reduced the plane ticket's prices so thousands of, opportunistic, canadians could come here and manifest... Yes, they did that.....

And BTW, ..... BC wants to separate, and Ontario too. This country is dead. I don't give it 10 more years....

so i agree what is happening now is not a good thing for 'CANADA' but it is VERY good for what will survive after.....

I imagine very well 4 or 5 new countries, all independant.... and no more canada

Sounds like the "Nine Nations of North America" isn't that far-fetched.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:21 am

monty wrote:
coyote wrote:

Quote:

Bloc-ked up topic

Canada will remain a united country when all of us can work together via Federalsim and understanding regional interests. We need a strong Liberal leader (not Dion) and Harper must go. Likewise Layton, and Duceppe-tion (pun intended) must disappear, as he is a deluded demi-god. He is a weasel who waited for his chance. The "coalition", to him, is a means to an end--a nasty end for Quebecers and others. Signed deals are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 1:04 pm

sartresue wrote:
monty wrote:
coyote wrote:

Quote:

Bloc-ked up topic

Canada will remain a united country when all of us can work together via Federalsim and understanding regional interests. We need a strong Liberal leader (not Dion) and Harper must go. Likewise Layton, and Duceppe-tion (pun intended) must disappear, as he is a deluded demi-god. He is a weasel who waited for his chance. The "coalition", to him, is a means to an end--a nasty end for Quebecers and others. Signed deals are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Don't shoot me, but what about in the future there being an EU-type of thing between the US and Canada? And while we're at it, include to Caribbean, minus Cuba.

Last edited by Hurricane_Delta on 03 Dec 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:14 pm

coyote wrote:

Quote:

'Oppression' of the Quebecois is a bunch of BS and not historically accurate at all. You guys might be the most pampered minority in history. Not to mention that but the war that resulted in your occupation by the British was started BY you guys, so stop complaining. The rebellions you Quebecois are so proud of weren't an English vs French thing, it was us colonials vs the British. If you knew anything real about history that wasn't taught to you by the PQ you would know that Ontario, then known as Upper Canada, was also in rebellion. So give us a break and stop with your foolish propaganda. What your saying about the French language is a blatant LIE and has no place here. You guys have an incredibly easy life. You don't face fines for simply having a sign with English up. And there are few jobs outside of Montreal that ask for English as a second language. Just go look on Craigslist for Quebec jobs, every single one demands French and almost none, unless specifically dealing with translation or serving English people/companies (which are few and far between) that ask for English language ability. The Canadian government didn't cheat at all, on the other hand, the PQ was CAUGHT trying to discount hundreds of thousands of English and immigrant votes. BC doesn't want to separate, though there is a Western separatist movement which has never gotten more then a few thousand votes. I have also never heard of an Ontario separatist party, that's basically the center of Canada. Your full of BS, take it somewhere else. If you think the provinces would benefit on their own you obviously have no knowledge of geopolitics or real economics.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:44 pm

Hm, I came across a bit harsher then I intended in my last post, no offense intended

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 7:26 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Hm, I came across a bit harsher then I intended in my last post, no offense intended

I don't know... reading the way the post was written, it blunt but truthful.

If we are going to talk about an area in repression becoming independent, how about Kosovo. They had a large amount of Autonomy, but Milosovic took away most of it, and in doing so caused the Albanians and other ethnicities do feel threated resulting in the breakup. Towards the end of the 90's, the backwards Serbs tried to genocide the Kosovars. Fortunately, NATO stepped in and put the kibosh on that idea.

I know I am not neutral when it comes to Serbia. I am part Hungarian and Slovak, and most people of those two groups were pushed out of Vojvodina, and area with a high number of both.

Edit: From Wikipedia

Wikipedia wrote:
On December 2, it was reported that Harper plans to ask the Governor General to prorogue parliament, thereby delaying the possible defeat of his government until the New Year.[31] Legally, the Prime Minister is allowed to wait a year after prorogation before he would be forced to ask the House of Commons to reconvene.

What does prorogue parliament mean, Vigilans? It doesn't sound good, and for all I know about Canada, from research, and talking to a friend in High School, I never heard that term before.

Edit 2: Polling done in the past several days shows evenly divided opinion among Coalition and Re-Election. This is a migraine causing problem, and will be very hard to solve.

Last edited by Hurricane_Delta on 03 Dec 2008, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

monty wrote:
coyote wrote:

Quote:

gulf coast area, particularly around new orleans, shouldn't be listed as dixie. totally different culture.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 7:52 pm

skafather84 wrote:
monty wrote:
coyote wrote:

Quote:

gulf coast area, particularly around new orleans, shouldn't be listed as dixie. totally different culture.

Also, Virginia, and North Carolina to a lesser extent are becoming more like the Northeast.

Also, Coyote, having a persecution complex doesn't help your arguements.