Bloc Quebecois should be excluded from Canadian Coalition

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should the Bloc be a part of the Coalition?
Yes, the Bloc should be included 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
No, the Bloc should be excluded 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 14

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:27 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Off-topic, but you're probably one of the first monarchists I've encountered. What are your thoughts on monarchy?

It is more administratively efficient than other forms of government, is not as short-sighted as democracy (a new government every couple years gives leaders no incentive to look for long-term solutions over quick fixes) and it is not based on the notion that the uneducated, semi-literate masses understand how to make responsible decisions regarding governmental policy. Constantine Pobedonostsev wrote an excellent critique of the theoretical failings of democracy/parliamentarianism in Reflexions of a Russian Statesman. A monarchy permits a state to dispense with politics, because the leader needn't concern him/herself with approval ratings or reelection. Also, the idea that a policy is the best one merely because 51% of the population supports it seems completely absurd to me. In US presidential elections, the one who earns the support of 51% of the people gets 100% of the power. How is that representative government? What happened to the other 49%? Even if we are to say representative government is good (and I would argue that it is not) a truly representative democracy is nearly impossible to actually achieve, and thus any "democracies" are bastardized systems that can't even match their fundamentally flawed ideal.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Off-topic, but you're probably one of the first monarchists I've encountered. What are your thoughts on monarchy?

It is more administratively efficient than other forms of government, is not as short-sighted as democracy (a new government every couple years gives leaders no incentive to look for long-term solutions over quick fixes) and it is not based on the notion that the uneducated, semi-literate masses understand how to make responsible decisions regarding governmental policy. Constantine Pobedonostsev wrote an excellent critique of the theoretical failings of democracy/parliamentarianism in Reflexions of a Russian Statesman. A monarchy permits a state to dispense with politics, because the leader needn't concern him/herself with approval ratings or reelection. Also, the idea that a policy is the best one merely because 51% of the population supports it seems completely absurd to me. In US presidential elections, the one who earns the support of 51% of the people gets 100% of the power. How is that representative government? What happened to the other 49%? Even if we are to say representative government is good (and I would argue that it is not) a truly representative democracy is nearly impossible to actually achieve, and thus any "democracies" are bastardized systems that can't even match their fundamentally flawed ideal.

What safeguards do you suggest to prevent the abuse of power by a monarchy, as is possible when a monarch is raised to the job and is incapable of it? (That is, in the sense of incapable of providing sound government.) I'm thinking in terms of pre-revolutionary French monarchies, and a random assortment of bad British ones. Consider that our current monarch has been ruling for a good half century, and gives no signs of dying yet. If she had complete executive control, and was a poor Queen... we would be stuck in a badly run nation for half a century. (Saying nothing about how well its been run these past 50 years anyway.)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:47 pm

Macbeth wrote:
What safeguards do you suggest to prevent the abuse of power by a monarchy, as is possible when a monarch is raised to the job and is incapable of it? (That is, in the sense of incapable of providing sound government.) I'm thinking in terms of pre-revolutionary French monarchies, and a random assortment of bad British ones. Consider that our current monarch has been ruling for a good half century, and gives no signs of dying yet. If she had complete executive control, and was a poor Queen... we would be stuck in a badly run nation for half a century. (Saying nothing about how well its been run these past 50 years anyway.)

What safeguards do you have in a democracy? Some ignorant rabble who will do as the media tells them? It is possible to limit the power of the monarchy. A minarchist monarchy could give one person absolute control over the administration, but make the role of government strictly limited overall. Constitutional monarchy is a viable option, and there are other powerful elements in society (such as aristocracies/elites in general) that will curb the monarch's power. Russian Emperor Paul I was found to be doing an unsatisfactory job and the nobility only permitted him to retain it for four years- contrast that with American democracy allowing eight full years of Bush. Also, a monarch could potentially be raised from early childhood for the purpose of becoming king/queen, and thus could be given a much better education for the task than the politicians who rise to power in a democracy.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:54 pm

spudnik wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Fraya wrote:
That's the sad truth we've had to endure for 8 years down here in the US. Stupid people voting could (and probably will) destroy us but we can't tell them they're not allowed without becoming what we fear.

I can- I'm a monarchist.

Anyways, the Quebec Separatists- if they don't want to be part of Canada, why not let them try their hand at being an independent country? Gets rid of a thorn in your side, and you get to say "told you so" when they fail miserably and have to come crawling back begging to be part of Canada again. As far as being excluded from the next government, well, people did vote for them in legitimate elections. It's pretty dirty to change the rules partway through.

Canada is not like the United States; theirs is a parliamentary system. Currently the Conservatives hold a minority government: That is, they do not have an absolute majority of seats in the House of Commons. Unlike in the U.S., though, where the only substantial opposition would be one other party, in Canada the opposition is divided into Liberals, New Democrats, and the Bloc québécois. Since Canada follows a British-derived parliamentary system, the prime minister and such are appointed by a representative of the Queen, and this government can be dismissed at any time with new elections called. A vote of no confidence can be made at any time, and so the composition of the government can change without new elections just because of shifting coalitions. The MPs are elected by their ridings, but the government is elected by the Parliament.

I'm a U.S. citizen, not a Canadian, so the details may be off, but that's the gist of it.

Anyway the separatists are roughly half of the people of Quebec; many want to just remain Canadian. Also, the "Nar! Nar! We told you so! We told you so!" attitude really doesn't work for grown-up politics (although I can easily imagine Bush saying this in private to a Cabinet member). Self-determination isn't about playground platitudes; it's about deeply held values, economics, culture, immigration, and tolerance.

You understand our system better then some Canadians NeantHumain

Vigilans wrote:

Quebec's deeply held values: Alcoholism, speeding, not using turn signals
Quebec's economics: In sharp decline in most areas. 'Ghost towns' are now becoming quite common in the once lucrative mining/pulp and paper region in Nord du Quebec and Abiti.
Quebec's culture: Unique and deserving of preservation- all of it, including the Anglophone and Allophones, which the French are trying to get rid of
Quebec's immigration: They'll let anybody in so long as they speak French. Not a good policy because they all just leave Quebec due to the bigotry or lack of opportunity in job and education, and move to Toronto...
Quebec's tolerance: What tolerance?

Sounds to me like a province not ready for indepedence

Vigilans you sound like the typical Anglophone from Quebec, why don't you move to Alberta and I will move to Quebec, I may not speak a word of French, but I don't have such hate for Quebecers who only want to preserve their culture.

Cultural preservative topic

This has gone beyond culture. It has become opportunistic power politics.
Western Canada has threatened the same thing, in a different way.
The challenge for Canada has always been to balance regional interests through Federalism and Parliament. This is not served through an unelected coalition.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2008, 11:04 pm

frecnh canadian quebecois here 8) I would just want to warn the general population of WP reading this thread that some of the expressed opinions here do not reflect the general thinking of us and only entails the ones who stated them.... :!:

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:38 am

Orwell wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

What safeguards do you have in a democracy? Some ignorant rabble who will do as the media tells them? It is possible to limit the power of the monarchy. A minarchist monarchy could give one person absolute control over the administration, but make the role of government strictly limited overall. Constitutional monarchy is a viable option, and there are other powerful elements in society (such as aristocracies/elites in general) that will curb the monarch's power. Russian Emperor Paul I was found to be doing an unsatisfactory job and the nobility only permitted him to retain it for four years- contrast that with American democracy allowing eight full years of Bush. Also, a monarch could potentially be raised from early childhood for the purpose of becoming king/queen, and thus could be given a much better education for the task than the politicians who rise to power in a democracy.

Only problem I have with that is people moaning about "deserving" to rule. We have the House Of Lords here, an unelected peer group (literally) that act as a second layer of government. The amount of bitching that goes on because they get the job just by dint of being born is huge. Many people like the (even notional) idea that they can better themselves, rise up above their station etc, and a lot of people dont think that possible at all under a monarchy.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:40 am

Vive le Québec libre!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:35 am

coyote wrote:
frecnh canadian quebecois here 8) I would just want to warn the general population of WP reading this thread that some of the expressed opinions here do not reflect the general thinking of us and only entails the ones who stated them.... :!:

Touche topic

Canadian economic problems are best solved by all parties and with the support of all regions of Canada. It is also a global crisis. We must all work together (even Aspies) for everyone to benefit.

But the Bloc has another agendavia the "coalition". I distrust signed deals like this. Something is creepy about it, and this has been mentioned in my other thread.

Being free, Cyanide, is for all to take responsibility and to see the larger picture. This is not the tme to be insular and retreat into a cocoon. You will not emerge a butterfly. :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:22 pm

spudnik wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Fraya wrote:
That's the sad truth we've had to endure for 8 years down here in the US. Stupid people voting could (and probably will) destroy us but we can't tell them they're not allowed without becoming what we fear.

I can- I'm a monarchist.

Anyways, the Quebec Separatists- if they don't want to be part of Canada, why not let them try their hand at being an independent country? Gets rid of a thorn in your side, and you get to say "told you so" when they fail miserably and have to come crawling back begging to be part of Canada again. As far as being excluded from the next government, well, people did vote for them in legitimate elections. It's pretty dirty to change the rules partway through.

Canada is not like the United States; theirs is a parliamentary system. Currently the Conservatives hold a minority government: That is, they do not have an absolute majority of seats in the House of Commons. Unlike in the U.S., though, where the only substantial opposition would be one other party, in Canada the opposition is divided into Liberals, New Democrats, and the Bloc québécois. Since Canada follows a British-derived parliamentary system, the prime minister and such are appointed by a representative of the Queen, and this government can be dismissed at any time with new elections called. A vote of no confidence can be made at any time, and so the composition of the government can change without new elections just because of shifting coalitions. The MPs are elected by their ridings, but the government is elected by the Parliament.

I'm a U.S. citizen, not a Canadian, so the details may be off, but that's the gist of it.

Anyway the separatists are roughly half of the people of Quebec; many want to just remain Canadian. Also, the "Nar! Nar! We told you so! We told you so!" attitude really doesn't work for grown-up politics (although I can easily imagine Bush saying this in private to a Cabinet member). Self-determination isn't about playground platitudes; it's about deeply held values, economics, culture, immigration, and tolerance.

You understand our system better then some Canadians NeantHumain

Vigilans wrote:

Quebec's deeply held values: Alcoholism, speeding, not using turn signals
Quebec's economics: In sharp decline in most areas. 'Ghost towns' are now becoming quite common in the once lucrative mining/pulp and paper region in Nord du Quebec and Abiti.
Quebec's culture: Unique and deserving of preservation- all of it, including the Anglophone and Allophones, which the French are trying to get rid of
Quebec's immigration: They'll let anybody in so long as they speak French. Not a good policy because they all just leave Quebec due to the bigotry or lack of opportunity in job and education, and move to Toronto...
Quebec's tolerance: What tolerance?

Sounds to me like a province not ready for indepedence

Vigilans you sound like the typical Anglophone from Quebec, why don't you move to Alberta and I will move to Quebec, I may not speak a word of French, but I don't have such hate for Quebecers who only want to preserve their culture.

I don't have a hate for Quebecois who want to preserve their culture. I even stated that in the post you quoted. What I hate is how they're using this 'cultural preservation' as a means of oppressing anybody with different views and to make people see them as victims. There is no threat to Quebec culture, if there was it ended in the 70's when almost all of us English left rather then stay here and be treated like second-class citizens. You don't even understand what its like to go to a hospital and have the staff refuse to communicate with you in English, or be stopped by SQ police officers in your car who will hassle you simply because of your language. No, not a clue apparently. You wouldn't much like living here. But as for what you said to me, I do not have any hatred for the Quebecois at all, considering almost all of my friends here are of French background of some sort. However, none of them are separatists or bigoted.

Also, this isn't about cultural preservation, its about nationalism. Last year at the St Patrick's day parade in Montreal I remember something that angered all the English in the crowd, which represented 90% of it. At the end of the parade was a 'Langue Francais Solidaire' float with a bunch of PQ propaganda symbols and anti-English slogans. What does this have to do with St Patrick's day? All I know is that everybody on the street booed them to the point that they put their offensive sign down.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 4:01 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Only problem I have with that is people moaning about "deserving" to rule. We have the House Of Lords here, an unelected peer group (literally) that act as a second layer of government. The amount of bitching that goes on because they get the job just by dint of being born is huge. Many people like the (even notional) idea that they can better themselves, rise up above their station etc, and a lot of people dont think that possible at all under a monarchy.

Which people are moaning? The ruling class does not necessarily have to be drawn from within a purely hereditary group.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

Orwell wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Which people are moaning? The ruling class does not necessarily have to be drawn from within a purely hereditary group.

That reminds me of a theorized system of monarchical reverse democracy. Basically a monarch rules but periodically a vote is taken to remove them from leadership. If the vote gets a 75% majority that leader is stripped of power and the next in line takes over.

It doesn't really make the leader cater to the whims of the public but it does prevent them from routinely doing things that the people are majorly opposed to.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 4:17 pm

Orwell wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

That's generally what my thoughts on monarchy or autocracy have been. The concept of 'benevolent dictatorship' is in many ways, sound. It really depends on whether there is a statesmen with an administration capable of running the country with it's people's best economic and social interests in mind.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 4:22 pm

Vigilans wrote:
That's generally what my thoughts on monarchy or autocracy have been. The concept of 'benevolent dictatorship' is in many ways, sound. It really depends on whether there is a statesmen with an administration capable of running the country with it's people's best economic and social interests in mind.

I also have a bit of a libertarian bent, so I don't think the government's responsibilities should be so all-encompassing as some people would have them be. Thus, if the government is only handling a few simple things (military defense, immigration and naturalization, trade relations, provision of basic infrastructure, and a justice system) there isn't too much there that needs to be debated or has a reason to require much of the people's input, and so those administrative tasks can be carried out by some person who has complete control over the governmental apparatus and can coordinate the execution of these tasks effectively and coherently.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:25 pm

Orwell wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

I live in the North of England. I hear people bitching and whining day in day out about how much the monarchy costs us, how bad they are, etc etc etc. Theres a lot of it goes on here, and most of it is inaccurate or unjustified. I think the problem is people like to think they are getting to choose, even if they really aren't.

Are you thinking in terms of an autocratic monarchy, or something with a wider input/decision making base - like the UK should have (though it actually does not.) ?

If not hereditary, what would you suggest be the basis for "royal" selection?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:28 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Vive le Québec livre!

meh, there's better writers out there.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:29 pm

Macbeth wrote:
I live in the North of England. I hear people bitching and whining day in day out about how much the monarchy costs us, how bad they are, etc etc etc. Theres a lot of it goes on here, and most of it is inaccurate or unjustified. I think the problem is people like to think they are getting to choose, even if they really aren't.

I don't especially care what people think. I already mentioned the idiocy of the populace as a strong argument for monarchy over democracy.

Quote:
Are you thinking in terms of an autocratic monarchy, or something with a wider input/decision making base - like the UK should have (though it actually does not.) ?

None of your fake ceremonial monarchy, thanks. That really is just a waste of money. No, I want an autocracy.

Quote:
If not hereditary, what would you suggest be the basis for "royal" selection?

There are various possible schemes, and it would probably depend somewhat on the nature of government and what specifically the job entailed.