Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:19 pm

I think we should legalise murder. It would lower the crime rate, create jobs and provide the government with more of that all-important tax revenue.

How about it?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:32 pm

skysaw wrote:
I think we should legalise murder. It would lower the crime rate, create jobs and provide the government with more of that all-important tax revenue.

How about it?

Blatant straw man, not even related. Besides, if you're going to use an appeal to ridicule style argument, you really need to mention the population control benefit, otherwise you just sound foolish...

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:42 pm

Dox47 wrote:
skysaw wrote:

How about it?

Blatant straw man, not even related. Besides, if you're going to use an appeal to ridicule style argument, you really need to mention the population control benefit, otherwise you just sound foolish...

Ok ... I think we should legalise murder. It would lower the crime rate, create jobs, provide the government with more of that all-important tax revenue, and help keep the population down.

Is this what you meant?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:55 pm

skysaw wrote:
OK ... I think we should legalise murder. It would lower the crime rate, create jobs, provide the government with more of that all-important tax revenue, and help keep the population down.

Is this what you meant?

What I mean is that what you are saying has nothing to do with my argument in favor of legalizing drugs, drug trafficking and murder are too dissimilar to make a straight comparison like that. Murder has always been a crime, it deprives someone of their life, their most precious comparison. Drugs, on the other hand, are a crime because government says they are. You seem to be implying that I'm putting money ahead of the human cost, by emphasizing the economics behind drug policy reform. If anything, legalized drugs would cause a massive drop in violent crime, possibly worldwide, as well as have a very positive impact on the lives of all the people incarcerated for drug offenses. Legalizing murder would have no such benefits, the comparison is irrelevant. I was being facetious about the population control, basically I was saying that if you must make a poor strawman argument, you might as well make it a funny one...

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:56 pm

*shakes head* Asinine, really. Agree with Dox here.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

Dox, I agree with you 98% of the time, this issue - I half agree but, I also think your mind may shift a little when you have kids.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 10:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Dox, I agree with you 98% of the time, this issue - I half agree but, I also think your mind may shift a little when you have kids.

are you sure it isn't simply that having kids has shifted your view from being objective to being relatively paranoid?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm

skafather84 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

are you sure it isn't simply that having kids has shifted your view from being objective to being relatively paranoid?

Haven't had them yet so I couldn't say. From the people I talk to though, they start thinking a lot about the world their handing them, they think a lot more deeply about secondary and tertiary ramifications of every little thing, they have someone that they care about far more than themselves (that's not saying that people who don't have kids are necessarily not like this but - it enhances the urgency and makes one more careful about sociological adventurism).

If that's your definition of paranoia then sure, I'll have to agree to call wisdom paranoia - if that's how your vernacular goes.