Page 2 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,257
Location: Upper Midwest, USA

07 Dec 2005, 9:23 pm

Tempers are running high so we've locked this thread for 24 hours. I hope people think though what they want to say. No name calling or wishing ill on other members will be allowed. Doing so is a violation of this sites TOS and will be handled as such.

Thank you.
BeeBee

PS---Good point about being in the PP & R forum. That's were it's going.



Sean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,505

09 Dec 2005, 1:41 am

Robert,

Politics is supposed to be a means that facilitates you with an opportunity to live your life to the fullest. From what you have made known about your standard of living, your govenment has done that for you. Politics is supposed to make other aspects of life possible for the citizens of the respective government, not the other way around. Try living life and talking about other things more. See what kind of response you get then.



Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

09 Dec 2005, 5:51 am

Rob your not the mesiah your a very naughty boy



RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 934
Location: Cambridge, UK

09 Dec 2005, 6:41 am

Laz wrote:
Rob your not the mesiah your a very naughty boy


What is that supposed to mean!! :?



RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 934
Location: Cambridge, UK

09 Dec 2005, 6:48 am

I just want to say that I am NOT attacking the moderators in any way. Pyraxis was right to approach me about my behaviour. If I think that a member(s) on here is a stupid idiot, it is my right to think that. However, I was angry, and I should not have said it in public - I should have just kept it to myself and talked about it to my friends via PM.

However, I stand by what I say about the majority of Americans being selfish, narrow-minded sheep, who can't think beyond the moment, and certainly can't think of anyone but themselves.



Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,750

09 Dec 2005, 7:26 am

RobertN wrote:
I just want to say that I am NOT attacking the moderators in any way. Pyraxis was right to approach me about my behaviour. If I think that a member(s) on here is a stupid idiot, it is my right to think that. However, I was angry, and I should not have said it in public - I should have just kept it to myself and talked about it to my friends via PM.

However, I stand by what I say about the majority of Americans being selfish, narrow-minded sheep, who can't think beyond the moment, and certainly can't think of anyone but themselves.


That is a statement that I will second.



eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 488
Location: x

09 Dec 2005, 7:48 am

RobertN wrote:
Laz wrote:
Rob your not the mesiah your a very naughty boy


What is that supposed to mean!! :?


That's a joke, a reference to Monty Python's Life Of Brian. Google it.


_________________
-~ God-damn the day that I was born ~
The night that forced me from the womb ~-


eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 488
Location: x

09 Dec 2005, 8:09 am

RobertN wrote:
However, I stand by what I say about the majority of Americans being selfish, narrow-minded sheep, who can't think beyond the moment, and certainly can't think of anyone but themselves.


Couldn't that statement be re-phrased as:

the majority of <insert any people/country here> being selfish, narrow-minded sheep, who can't think beyond the moment, and certainly can't think of anyone but themselves.

???

It doesn't seem fair to pick on Americans. I don't have to look too far to see the same attitudes here in the UK.

I think what you're really getting at RobertN, is that regular people do often seem to fit the portrayal given, and that Americans dominating popular culture are an obvious representation of this.

This is also a negative presentation of character traits which have positive benefits for individuals in the wider community, but don't always show themselves that much in ASD. For example, wanting to fit in with a wider group of people, looking out for one's own needs and living harmoniously with others.
As with anything there are good and bad sides to any particular trait or orientation, I think maybe you're too focused on the bad side?


_________________
-~ God-damn the day that I was born ~
The night that forced me from the womb ~-


Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

09 Dec 2005, 12:05 pm

Ive met plenty of my fellow englishmen Rob who fit into that description you just said

Stupidity doesn't descriminate in populations



RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 934
Location: Cambridge, UK

09 Dec 2005, 12:40 pm

I wish you were right, Laz, but a while ago I came across this survey on the web comparing the attitudes of Europeans and Americans.

When asked: "Do we have a responsibility to look after those less able than ourselves", twice as many Europeans voted "Yes" compared to Americans. I will try and find this survey and post it. Therefore I have scientific evidence that the Americans are more selfish than Europeans.



iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 648

09 Dec 2005, 4:26 pm

Hey Robert:

I don't get why you have to give in to the idea that all Europeans hate Americans. Sure GW sucks, but, as impossible as it may seem: he doesn't reflect the attitudes of the entire nation!! ! Not all Americans are selfish. We do help others! Even though to you we may be a bunch of obese blubbering idiots who don't know s**t about politics, that's just a small number. We are about as smart as England in another sense. Please don't judge us from what you hear.

Don't judge us when you haven't met any Americans face to face! My friend's sister is in the Navy. She did Peace Corps for a year and traveled to Africa to help feed hungry third-world people who don't have the medicine, the money or the technology to save themselves! We've been working to get education and medicine over there, and here you are saying we're selfish!

And in case you're wondering, I'd love to do Peace Corps and help people live decent lives. There are millions of americans who would live to help make someone else's day a bit better! My parents would never allow it. They don't even want me to leave New England for college!

I'm not attacking your beliefs, I just don't want you to hate Americans... that's all. Sorry. Have a nice day!



QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 826
Location: IntensitySquared.

09 Dec 2005, 4:58 pm

RobertN wrote:
...with this site being dominated by idiot Americans who think that what they say is the absolute truth no matter what, and think that what George Bush does shouldn't be questioned.

Why is it that I am hated on this site just because I speak out against what is unjust in this world? Why are you all so obsessed with defending the status quo, even if you know it is wrong? Why can't any of you think outside the narrow-minded dogmatic views of the corporate world that have been fed to you most of your life, and think for yourselves?

I'm sure you religious right are aware of the story of the Great Flood, and Noah's Arc. In that story, God decided to wipe the whole population out because they were so evil and so selfish, that there was no reason to save them. I think the same is true of you. American capitalism is so evil and so selfish, that you aren't worth saving, quite frankly, and I welcome the next terrorist attack on your soil.


I knowa some British aspies who seem to think what THEY say is "the absolute truth and shouldn't be questioned". Frankly, I'm sick of people from other countries thinking they know everything about America and Bush when they don't. I myself can't stand Bush and think he's a moron, but that's beside the point. The point is people need to stop generalizing us and putting us down when all they know is what they hear. To those who don't generalize us, you have my respect and gratitude.



Last edited by QuirkyCarla on 09 Dec 2005, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 826
Location: IntensitySquared.

09 Dec 2005, 5:00 pm

RobertN wrote:
I wish you were right, Laz, but a while ago I came across this survey on the web comparing the attitudes of Europeans and Americans.

When asked: "Do we have a responsibility to look after those less able than ourselves", twice as many Europeans voted "Yes" compared to Americans. I will try and find this survey and post it. Therefore I have scientific evidence that the Americans are more selfish than Europeans.


A WEB survey is "scientific evidence"? *rolls over the floor laughing*



QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 826
Location: IntensitySquared.

09 Dec 2005, 5:08 pm

Nitz wrote:
RobertN,

Are you aware that hoping for another terrorist attack on American soil means you want thousands of innocent people dead? Are you conscious that you're generalizing a nation of 300 million+ being all wicked and corrupt? Are you alert to the fact that just because you disagree with someone's politics doesn't make them a bad person by default?

Look, I disagree with virtually everything the Bush administration is doing, often to a vehement point. But with this post you're advocating mass murder. Fortunately I don't hold your statements against the whole United States, unlike how you're judging all of us as evil.


I agree. And wishing an attack on us is evil. I never wished for an attack on London, and I hope they don't get attacked again.



toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 277
Location: Champaign, IL, USA

09 Dec 2005, 5:12 pm

I think we should all try to remember that, even though we may disagree with each other, sometimes very strongly, it doesn't mean that anyone is "stupid" or uncaring. I think most people who have strong feelings about politics sincerely want the best for everyone.

Remember that, in the real world, the most important struggles aren't good vs. evil, they're good vs. good. :)

Jeremy



Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

09 Dec 2005, 5:13 pm

Evil aye? And consuming more resources per head of population then anyone else in the world while we have 1/3 of the planet mal nurished is not evil?

Funny how things balance themselves out like that in ethics and morality.