Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2009, 8:53 am

I've read several things about it on the internet, some saying it's a great, rational religion, some saying it's a dangerous cult that wants to control its members totally, or even the world. I'm not sure who to believe. What do you think?

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:00 am

It's great if you have an endless supply of cash.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:31 am

One word will do the magic for you: Xenu.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:36 am

I have never met a rational Scientologist.

that and the word alone sets off my "spidey senses" which are almost always accurate on scams, cults and people who are about to use you and screw you over. It is about the only intuitive thing I have.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

Crocodile wrote:
I've read several things about it on the internet, some saying it's a great, rational religion, some saying it's a dangerous cult that wants to control its members totally, or even the world. I'm not sure who to believe. What do you think?

I read that Hubbard started scientology about a year after saying to a friend that the way to get rich was to start a religion. I read a little about the tenets of scientology, and it made me suspect that Hubbard deliberately designed the most ridiculous cult he could think of, perhaps on the principle that people who could believe this rubbish deserved to be parted from their money. An essential element of scientology is that you pay to advance to the next rank and be introduced to the next level of the doctrine.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:03 am

This kind of "spidey sense" is a very good thing to have.

I just read the Wiki link on Xenu. Man, I had no idea it was so elaborate. And so specific.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:08 am

Scientology is a crock of s**t.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:21 am

It makes me look at my own religion a little differently.

Believing Anything w/o Proof <-------------------------> Doubting Everything w/o Proof

I try to stay near the middle of this ^ mental continuum here, not just as a Catholic but as a human being and a citizen of the world.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2009, 10:24 am

There seems to have been lots of science fiction writers in the 30s & 40s who had anecdotes about getting drunk with Hubbard, & at the end of the night Hubbard telling them that he was thinking of getting into the religion game.

Does anyone here actually know any Scientologists? I think there are supposed to be 8 millions of them, at least according to their own figures, but going on anyone else's figures there seems to be much less of them. For example Scientology claims to have 40,000 plus members in the UK, but according to UK census returns there are less the 2,000. To my knowledge I've never met any Scientologists, except the guys on the street asking you to do the test, & I don't think that anyone I know has either.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:25 am

Way, way, way back when Hubbard's book "Dianetics" came out a friend and I tried some of the techniques for many hours and found them totally useless and rather ridiculous. As the organization grew and became transformed into Scientology it became very obvious it was a money making scam. In that, at least, it seems quite successful.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:35 am

ducasse wrote:
There seems to have been lots of science fiction writers in the 30s & 40s who had anecdotes about getting drunk with Hubbard, & at the end of the night Hubbard telling them that he was thinking of getting into the religion game.

Does anyone here actually know any Scientologists? I think there are supposed to be 8 millions of them, at least according to their own figures, but going on anyone else's figures there seems to be much less of them. For example Scientology claims to have 40,000 plus members in the UK, but according to UK census returns there are less the 2,000. To my knowledge I've never met any Scientologists, except the guys on the street asking you to do the test, & I don't think that anyone I know has either.

sadly i have two (my great uncle (or something like that) and his wife) in my family, ive only ever seen them two or three times in my life though.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:43 am

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2009, 10:43 am

I'd say stay the #$&* away from Scientology. I have also heard of Hubbard bragging about starting a religion for money, shortly before doing it. He gave science fiction writers a bad name. Fortunately, there are many more who aren't like that. I read alot of science fiction, go to conventions, and all that, but I avoid Hubbard's work like the plague.

I have a friend who's a member of Anonymous, and has been to several protests. He told me that Scientology recently bought thousands of Guy Fawkes masks so they could resell them, and in the process trick the buyers into giving them their contact info. (So, if you're planning to buy a Guy Fawkes mask, buy it at a bricks-and-mortar costume shop and pay for it in cash. Don't buy it online and don't leave contact info.) There's a good reason they're incognito during protests. If you oppose Scientology and they find out who you are, they'll launch a relentless campaign of harassment against you (late-night phone calls, death threats, etc.). That's what happened to my friend. He was wearing his mask, but supposedly they found out who he was because he used his cell phone during a protest. (Possibly because Scientology uses "phreaking" tricks to intercept cell phone calls.) Interestingly, the reason my friend hates Scientology so much is because he's got ADHD and is fully aware he's screwed without his meds. Therefore he doesn't appreciate Scientology's stance on psychiatry and head meds, and its tendency to take advantage of people who really ought to be going to a shrink.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:12 am

Scientology is probably no worse than Jim Jones' People's Temple, David Koresh's Branch Davidians, or the Libertarian Party.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:41 pm

It's a cult.
It was made up by a guy who wrote science fiction. The people who are in it are brain-washed, and the cult itself is VERY dangerous. They are against psychologists and think vitamines are the way to cure mental illnesses.

L Ron Hubbard didn't know anything about nutrition and yet he made up a formula that is to be fed to babies. Doctors have said that this formula doesn't have the nutrients that a new born baby needs, and yet these wack-job scientologists give the stuff to their infants.

Just listen to Tom Cruise talk and you will know that Scientology is crazy.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

02 Jan 2009, 2:24 pm

Dangerous brainwashing cult ************************************************ ***************************** ********************************** *******************************************************************************cum profiteering***************************************************************** racket.

Last edited by Everchanging on 07 Jan 2009, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.