Page 1 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:21 pm

How do you think is the Worst President Ever in educated since. [Please hearing George W. Bush is just getting tiring especially from uneducated people who can't even back themselves up.]

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:29 pm

uhhhh...Lincon?

na I'm kidding
I have no ide

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:51 pm

I don't know about THE worst, but G.W Bush would rank pretty high.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:20 pm

Andrew Jackson.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:33 pm

Warren G. Harding, because his two years in office were marred by scandal after scandal.

His own father said of him: "If he were female, he would be pregnant all the time".

There was also the Teapot Dome Affair.

He was president from 1921-1923, and died in 1923.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 08 Jan 2009, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:45 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I don't know about THE worst, but G.W Bush would rank pretty high.

Thanks to the media in modern era every president is considered horrible when they are still president. It takes a good few years for us to really figure out if they were all that bad.

Regardless, I'm not sure who is the worst president. Warren G. Harding seems to rank pretty high, but to be honest I don't know enough about him to make a good answer.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 6:07 pm

Define "worst". If you define "worst" as "most ineffective", I'd say Andrew Johnson, the guy who followed Lincoln, would top the list-he was all but ignored by Congress in setting up Reconstruction, and the Radical Republicans tried to impeach him over a technicality, and nearly succeeded. Carter would probably be a close second. If you define "worst" as the worst shredder of the Constitution, I'd actually put W third, behind Nixon and Woodrow Wilson. Wilson was likely the closest the US has ever gotten to a dictator.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:04 pm

Let's make this controversial and pick FDR.

I mean, court-packing scheme? Hare-brained plans to mess with the economy? Contradicting his campaign and out-Hoovering Hoover? Giving us tons of crappy farm subsidy programs that continue to haunt us? I mean, we can say that his deficit spending was Keynesian, but a lot of his actions were just bad ideas to have action for action's sake. I am just relatively glad that a lot of his more extreme ideas did not get into power.

I mean, we can say that FDR helped get us out of the Great Depression, and that he fought Hitler, but come on, the former? I have my doubts that the Great Depression would have lasted as long if FDR and Hoover weren't so aggressive(Hoover was aggressive, under his regime, one of the largest peace-time tax increases occurred, along with a lot of other efforts to pressure things, when I said FDR out-Hoovered Hoover, I mean that FDR's campaign against Hoover was based upon Hoover's aggressive economic policy, and blaming Hoover for deficit issues). This isn't to say that the Great Depression wasn't so bad, it was bad, but a 10 year depression seems to stretch things a bit, I mean, yes, we can blame a lot of other factors, but still it seems questionable.

In any case, you either will tend to like FDR for dealing with such a difficult time, or hate him for dealing with the time terribly.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:16 pm

Hoover, his economic policies got us in a bigger hole then we where in. [Great Depression.] Hoover also sent out police to beat the crap out of a bunch of WWI veteren's how just wanted a little bit of the war pensions they earned so they can survive.

Hoover also contradicted himself by saying perk up when he didn't perk up himself. He was also nothing but a butt-kisser to corporations.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:35 pm

You have to ask? It's W. I admit I don't know too much about historical presidents, but he is the worst in recent history. He started the Second Republican Great Depression, tortured prisoners, invaded Iraq, spied on US citizens without warrant... I could go on.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:42 pm

I voted for Bush in 2000, mainly because I admired his father.

I voted for Obama in 2008, but I think many Republicans were good presidents, and some of the Democrats weren't so great.

Good Republicans: Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, and Bush Sr. (who happens to be my hero)

Not-so-Good Democrats: Jimmy Carter--need I say more. He did his best work after leaving the White House.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Hoover, his economic policies got us in a bigger hole then we where in. [Great Depression.] Hoover also sent out police to beat the crap out of a bunch of WWI veteren's how just wanted a little bit of the war pensions they earned so they can survive.

Hoover also contradicted himself by saying perk up when he didn't perk up himself. He was also nothing but a butt-kisser to corporations.

Hoover's economic policies worsened the problems of the time, certainly. I don't blame him as much for his actions with the Bonus Army, as technically the government didn't owe them money at the time, and from what I heard, he was not personally responsible for beating the crap out of him, a military leader under him was, and Hoover just took responsibility for that.

As for Hoover being a butt-kisser to corporations, I don't see that. He is known for using his position to pressure corporations to behave in the manner he thought best, which isn't butt-kissing, and he increased taxes significantly on corporations(along with other groups) during his term. He did, however, kiss the butts of farmers by passing a dumb tariff that hurt the world economy though, and over the recommendations of like 1000 economists.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2009, 8:25 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Warren G. Harding

That's who historians tend to look at as the worst in history.

I personally tend to stay away from such responses because I haven't studied enough about ALL of them to make a quality determination.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

Same here, I really haven't studied all of the presidents, so I couldn't tell you definitively who I would consider the worst, but regardless, I'm not a big fan of Truman.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:21 pm

I see AG beat me to the FDR-bashing. That's what we get for putting a cripple in power.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:31 pm

^LOL. Here's another vote for FDR.

AspE wrote:
He started the Second Republican Great Depression

Pretty sure we've plenty of blame to go around on that one.