Why do people blame mixed signals only on clothes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

Sending mixed signals is more than just dressing provocatively. It's more like, the woman acts flirtatious with the man, but the woman does not expect the man to be equally flirtatious, or just doesn't make it clear when she wants to stop. It's just happens that women tend to dress provocatively when they flirt with men. That's an entirely different story than the cliche "man interprets slu*ty clothes as an invitation to sex" straw-man argument people use to blame people as rape apologists. Also, not all sexual harassment is rape. Rape is unwanted sex. Most sexual harassment is just unwanted kissing and touching, or unwanted comments. The line between flirting and sexual harassment is very fuzzy.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 11:39 am

I don't know how to reply to this but I for one am not a fan with this trend going around about all these people "supposedly" sexual harassing celebrities. It's annoying, unnecessary and in my perspective just a way to draw useless attention.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm

I find it ironic how feminists always call everyone who blames the way a woman dresses as a rape apologist, when feminists do it themselves. Feminists think slu*ty clothes is a trigger for rape.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 12:46 pm

If you see a woman wearing "revealing" clothes, just fantasize about it----don't do anything about it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

What is and isn't considered harassment is highly culutural.
As long as men and women within one culture largely agree where the line is- fine.
But in surveys, men seemed to be a small bit more casual about thing- meaning, in a few cases, even within a culture, men and women do disagree on whether something is harassment or not.
And then the offended party may try to change public opinion - but stating how relative this all is is tactically unwise. It is more successful to state things as absolute and unambiguous, even if they aren't.

That said, whether one has committed harassment can be easily found out by asking public opinion. - and so far, men AND women largely agree that, say, the weinstein case is not debateable. Or the Kevin spacey case.
Or Roy moore.

Bur the line IS fuzzy, and probably flirting will vanish and the whole mating ceremony will be relegated to tinder, as a bureaucratic solution.

we can't find a common standard. - because almost by definition, someone will always be upset. Old mutually understood standards were based on tradition, and we're not renegotiating them, or slowly moving them, but looking for absolutes...