Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:40 pm

As much as I worried, and still do a little, about Barack's policies, I have to admit it's kinda cool having a black president.

Will Britain ever elect a minority prime minister?

Any Western country who thinks themselves more progressive than the U.S. should have a minority head of state before making the claim.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:48 pm

Scots are sort of a minority :p

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:55 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Any Western country who thinks themselves more progressive than the U.S. should have a minority head of state before making the claim.

Curiously, few developing countries have had already female presidents.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:59 pm

So having a leader that is black, simply for the sake of it all the sudden is a good reason to have one? Don't get me wrong, Obama was the better candidate. However, it was not because of his race, it was because of his policies compared with the other candidate. If the black candidate has better qualities, vote for that person. If not, then vote for the other. The entire election we had over here was incredibly racist and it actually depresses me that we acknowledge Obama as the first black president, why not acknowledge him simply as the president?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:59 pm

Ragtime wrote:
As much as I worried, and still do a little, about Barack's policies, I have to admit it's kinda cool having a black president.

If any of the Princes misbehave Britain may have a black monarch before a black P.M.

ruveyn

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:03 pm

At first the "Head of State" in the UK is a elder Lady and member of s Danish-Greek-German family of immigrants which claim their position via Normanic-French-Welsh-Scottish relatives ...

Besides this fact there were at least one black lady in one of the "Great Officer of State", Valerie Amos, Baroness Amos, born in Guyana, was Lord President of the Council.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:07 pm

greenblue wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Curiously, few developing countries have had already female presidents.

That's good, but how about well-established countries who think themselves progressive? That's what I'm asking.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:10 pm

z0rp wrote:
So having a leader that is black, simply for the sake of it all the sudden is a good reason to have one? Don't get me wrong, Obama was the better candidate. However, it was not because of his race, it was because of his policies compared with the other candidate. If the black candidate has better qualities, vote for that person. If not, then vote for the other. The entire election we had over here was incredibly racist and it actually depresses me that we acknowledge Obama as the first black president, why not acknowledge him simply as the president?

Of course we should acknowledge Obama simply as the president, but there is also no way around the significance of a black man becoming the elected president of a country who used to enslave blacks. It's both, not just one or the other. Obama is both simply "The president" and also "The first black president" of the U.S.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:13 pm

Ragtime wrote:
When will Britain get its first black PM?

When someone who happens to have black skin is seen as suitable to be Prime Minister and is elected.

Who cares about the colour?

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:19 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
When will Britain get its first black PM?

When someone who happens to have black skin is seen as suitable to be Prime Minister and is elected.

You fell right into that one, didn't you?

That's quite an indictment of British blacks thus far, if it's true what you imply, that no blacks have yet been fit to be PM.
Or are you saying that Britons are racists for not having "seen" a black person as fit to be PM?

Of course racism exists everywhere, but maybe Britons can put their racism where the mouth is when criticizing the U.S.,
now that we have elected a minority member as president?
Just a thought. I just read so much hateful and even R-rated criticism of the U.S. on this website in particular as being backward and racist, and this comes largely from British members. Such criticism openly implies superiority of the criticizer over the criticizee, so I'm asking when Britain will figure out that black people can lead.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:50 pm

Canada really needs a black PM, Steve sucks so bad!! !

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:50 pm

Ragtime wrote:

Not in my lifetime, with any luck. White people and non-muslims are already treated like second-class citizens, so why the hell would the majority of the population want one? If you Yanks can't get over your guilt complex, that's your problem.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2009, 2:54 pm

When will well run countries like Congo,Sudan and Sierra Leone have White PMs?
Its time for da change ...

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:55 pm

Despite what the TV show Doctor Who would have us believe, the United Kingdom is about 2% black total (as compared to about 13% in the USA). The idea that it somehow ought to have a black anybody is complete BS.

I mean, I can name any number of "privileged" ethnic groups in the US of A who are larger percentages than that yet I'm pretty sure have never been president. Is anyone broken up that the US hasn't had an I-talian president?

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 3:08 pm

bah... black is so 2008, what we need is the first gay prime minister! :twisted:

any liberal democrat should do :lol:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 3:13 pm

It will happen eventually I'm sure.