Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 10:38 am

I'm a Unitarian, but I plan to convert to Judaism when I reach adulthood.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 11:56 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Is that anything like a Unitarian?

ruveyn

The connection you are drawing is likely because a lot of universalists are unitarians as seen from the Unitarian Universalist denomination.

The 2 are very different though, Unitarians deny the Christian trinity, while Universalists deny the existence of eternal damnation.

I was just gonna ask about that.

Used to go to Unitarian churchs.

There was a Unitarian sect.
And there was Universalist sect.
Two seperate entities in the 19th centurey ( Emerson was one the old kind of unitarians).

But then in the 20th Centurey the two sects had a summit and decided to merge so most congregations now call thems "Unitarian- Universalist" including all of the UU churches Ive ever heard been in or even heard of.

So I was wondering if the OP is a surviving Universalist who didnt merge with the Unitarians? Or is he using the term "Universalist" differently?

As an aside I stumbled upon an interesting tidbit: There was a breakaway group of Universalists who didnt like the idea of merging with the Unitarians so they had their own summit and decided to merge with the Zorastrians of all things. Well.. I read it on Wiki. So it must be so!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:18 pm

The U-U-s are a very tough bunch. I remember saying something politically incorrect and a posse from the U-U Church came and burned a question mark "?" on my lawn.

ruveyn