Why must men be like criminals in order to be "men"

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2009, 9:21 pm

I've heard about this stuff several times, and as a guy, it offends me. I've always found it stupid.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:37 pm

I have only one good response to this: THUG LIFE 4EVAR!! !

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:42 pm

Ok, another response has come up. One of the most masculine traits is testosterone, and this high levels of this hormone are seen in both business executives and criminals, if I remember correctly. Thus being a thug is a sign of having a defining male characteristic, whereas individuals who do not have this will to fight are not seen as being as male.

anonOS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 9:47 pm

It is a way to assert oneself as an alpha male, when one is not advantaged (physically, financially or mentally).

However men do not have to be criminals too be "men", it is merely an easy route.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:55 pm

The marjority of men in prison have been abused as children.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 12:02 am

At one time the alpha male served the human race in a way that brought us to the top of the food chain. I think if we (females) continue to select for this for breeding purposes, we will ultimately spawn evil offspring. I've said this so many times here, so if I sound redundant move past this now so I don't bore you.

There needs to be a cultural change in what we view as attractive in males. Attraction has more to do with cultural standards than individual ones. It's very hard to recognize unless you look at us humans as if you were an anthropologist watching apes. We don't recognize many subconscious desires because they are sort of instinctive. Humans are so conscious and aware of the immediate reality. If you search deeper, it's so absurd though because the truth comes out and shows us for what we really are.

-Pythagoras

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

cuz smoking makes me cool.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 2:46 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ok, another response has come up. One of the most masculine traits is testosterone, and this high levels of this hormone are seen in both business executives and criminals, if I remember correctly. Thus being a thug is a sign of having a defining male characteristic, whereas individuals who do not have this will to fight are not seen as being as male.

That is an overstatement. Males tend to be more aggressive than females, but this does not mean they must be thugs. One can be aggressive, ambitious and driven without being criminal. Think of track and field events.

ruveyn

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:29 am

Magnus wrote:
At one time the alpha male served the human race in a way that brought us to the top of the food chain. I think if we (females) continue to select for this for breeding purposes, we will ultimately spawn evil offspring. I've said this so many times here, so if I sound redundant move past this now so I don't bore you.

There needs to be a cultural change in what we view as attractive in males. Attraction has more to do with cultural standards than individual ones. It's very hard to recognize unless you look at us humans as if you were an anthropologist watching apes. We don't recognize many subconscious desires because they are sort of instinctive. Humans are so conscious and aware of the immediate reality. If you search deeper, it's so absurd though because the truth comes out and shows us for what we really are.

Be metrosexual? No thank you! ;)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:32 am

they dont

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:54 am

adverb wrote:
cuz smoking makes me cool.

Nothing like coughing yourself to death and spitting blood out of lung cancer to convey a sense of male superiority.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 5:17 am

Eggman wrote:
they dont

Its maily advertisers that are afraid then men can decide what it is to be a man for themshelves which could lead to them going away from manly products so they must be informaed that this is what men do and want

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 10:12 am

this is a ridiculous assumption. there's nothing attractive about a man stupid enough to get caught.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 10:18 am

anna-banana wrote:
this is a ridiculous assumption. there's nothing attractive about a man stupid enough to get caught.

Aah, but sexy criminals like Bush and Cheney and Henry Kissinger - they never get caught.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 11:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
That is an overstatement. Males tend to be more aggressive than females, but this does not mean they must be thugs. One can be aggressive, ambitious and driven without being criminal. Think of track and field events.

ruveyn

I didn't mean "fight" literally. Nor did I say that men *had* to be thugs. I said it is a sign of a characteristic, not that it was the only sign of having that characteristic.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 9:45 am

Sand wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

Aah, but sexy criminals like Bush and Cheney and Henry Kissinger - they never get caught.

Some criminals are destined never to be caught, even if they are under super-intense media scrutiny. But would they get caught if they weren't under the microscope? Makes you wonder.

Cheney, well, he's like a Bond villain. He's Blofeld!