Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm

I know the New Testament isn't exactly a Feminist Manifesto doctrine but when you think about it, Christianity would be the perfect feminist companion religion.
Whenever I listen to feminists I see how Christianity can easily fit into their thinking except for a few stupid lines in the Bible what were uttered by backward thinking men. Mary Magdeline, could have, in fact, been quite a feminist back in the day which is why they marginalized her with their ignorance.
Christianity holds a motherly figure as holy and divine. It divides men and women into two separate groups, separate but equal, nuns and monks. It is sexist thanks to certain early followers banning women from the clergy but that's not what we hear from Jesus. Just some ignorant, backward bumpkin who had to add his two cents later on.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

Genesis 3 wrote:
I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

I am talking about the New Testament, not the old.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

I suppose it would depend on what you mean by "feminism". If you're talking about women being treated as equals in Christ, worthy of respect and kindness, I agree. But from the little I've heard, most feminists seem to want dominance more than equality or co-existence. God created both genders with benefits that the other would need to be better, in many ways. Men and women belong beside each other, neither behind nor in front. We have different attributes in the mental and emotional arenas, not just the physical.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 1:09 am

It seems like women take a dominant role in Christianity with Mary, at least in Catholicism. Of course many men have felt threatened by this.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 2:11 am

Unfortunately, monks and nuns are not equal, at least within Catholicism. Even a mother superior is required to kowtow to the most junior of priests.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 4:37 am

Christian feminists? That's a contradiction esspecially when the bible states women must be submissive to men something that feminists DONT like!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 9:59 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Christian feminists? That's a contradiction esspecially when the bible states women must be submissive to men something that feminists DONT like!
There's a very important distinction to be made, though. The reason why women were commanded to submit to their husbands had nothing to do with the husband himself, but rather the wife's loyalty to God. In a similar way, God also commanded the men to love their wives as Christ loved the church, which is sacrificially. Unless a matter conflicts with God's stance, the husband should be willing to give anything for his wife, even his own life. He is also held doubly responsible as the spiritual head of the household, so when the wife messes up, God holds them both accountable.

This same structure was also used in Eden, where Adam was held to a higher standard than Eve due to the responsibility God had given him. Men across the centuries have blamed women for the Fall, but the truth is that it didn't occur until Adam followed suit with his own rebellion.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

God is the leader of the global patriarchy!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm

Christians and Feminists do have the same goals in certain areas. Like wanting to rid the world of sexy images.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 4:44 pm

Exactly! Feminism and Christianity share central elements the only problem is men like Saul Of Tarsus came in and tried to remake the Church when it need not be remade. It could have been vernacular feminism for the masses. Think of how everyone would have been liberated much earlier if it were not for that one Paul.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 4:49 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

The gospels are replete with stories of Jesus violating Jewish law by providing religious instruction to women, and including them in his band of traveling disciples.

There is the passage in John, when Jesus is visiting Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha in Bethany, where Mary is depicted sitting alone at Jesus' feet while Martha slaves away preparing a meal. That's a classic student/teacher positioning, in ancient times. In another passage of John, Jesus delivers the "living water" discourse to the Samaritan woman at the well.--not just a woman, but a Samaritan woman at that. The gospel of Luke features women in prominent roles. He reveals his risen self first to Mary Magdeline and another woman, according to all of the resurrection accounts, and sends them as his messengers to Peter and the rest---who of course, don't believe them.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I know the New Testament isn't exactly a Feminist Manifesto doctrine but when you think about it, Christianity would be the perfect feminist companion religion.
Whenever I listen to feminists I see how Christianity can easily fit into their thinking except for a few stupid lines in the Bible what were uttered by backward thinking men. Mary Magdeline, could have, in fact, been quite a feminist back in the day which is why they marginalized her with their ignorance.
Christianity holds a motherly figure as holy and divine. It divides men and women into two separate groups, separate but equal, nuns and monks. It is sexist thanks to certain early followers banning women from the clergy but that's not what we hear from Jesus. Just some ignorant, backward bumpkin who had to add his two cents later on.

Speaking of Mary Magdeline, there's a non-canonical gnostic "Gospel of Mary" that was among the manuscripts discovered at Nag Hammadi. In it, she responds in a dignified but forceful way way to a diatribe delivered against her by Peter, and wins the support of the other apostles.

While no one believes that she really wrote it, the fact that someone wrote a "gospel" in her name indicates that she had a significant following in the early years of Jesus' movement. Other apostles, especially Thomas, had similar followings. Those devotees advanced the views that they thought that their particular apostolic favorite had.

Regardless, there is evidence that women had a significant role to play in those early years. Even Paul, who wrote about women being "subservient" to their husbands, and wrote that they shouldn't speak in church, is said to have mentored Thecla.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:49 am

AngelRho admitted to being a Christian Feminist.