Page 1 of 21 [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

DrinkingT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2005, 2:57 am

Geesh,

I come to WP chat and to relax, only to buffeted by comments "you must be a stupid American," and other anti-American comments. What brought on these comments, we were led to believe it was because we were chatting about car dating, an American tradition, which the individual decided to get anti-American about. Now, I might be losing it, but I am getting tired of this sort of anti-American flaming that goes on, what is the purpose of it?

Are Americans being chased away from WP? Are we unwelcome here? It sure seems like it. I mean come on folks, car dating sparked this anti American flaming. What next is going to trigger a barrage of anti-American comments? Maybe reading the wrong book, or seeing the wrong movie, who knows what could trigger it.

However, I am more disgusted that blanket statements about any country or culture are tolerated in the chat, as they are merely stereotypes, usually only showing the ignorance of the person and/or the intention of offending a group of people. I am not convinced they serve any other purpose.

DrinkingT

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 3:58 am

You should talk to the moderators about who did that. There are plenty of people that can vouch that you don't incite such things. It won't change that guy's opinion of Americans, but at least you won't have to put up with their crap.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 4:25 am

I found out who it was. The moderators won't be the least bit suprised. :roll:

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 4:31 am

Anti-American sentiment is fairly prolific globally these days. You are bound to encounter it pretty much everywhere that you interact with non-americans. I suggest you develop some form of coping mechanism, because getting irate every time you are subject to it will not do wonders for your blood pressure.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 5:11 am

I am an American and proud of our past. I am also optimistic about the future.
It seems as if the forum at which the bashing took place was innappropriate.

In all honesty, we deserve to take it on the chin.

Look around. If the world was a playground we would be the school bully. Our servicemen deserve to be respected. Our commander in chief does not. We elected him, and by we i don't mean me. He is a the greatest puppet we have ever had in the white house.
We have the right to march on the whitehouse and demand to have our wishes met. The peoples wishes are not met, we have a rougue leader doing the bidding of special interrest groups.
The cuurent situatuion, for which the buffoon preemted TV tonight , is about Iraq. A very unpopular issue with the American public. He went on TV told us what he'd like for us to think, then the pundants came on and they told us how we WILL think. And like sheep we follow.

As long as we do not act, and use the right granted to us by the constitution, then we must accept that people elsewhere in the world hold a very dim view of us. And because of our laziness, they are correct.

Would it be a lie if G W Bush talked to 1000 servicemen in the hospital and just one of them said, "were doing the right thing mr prez, finish the job" and he then takes the 1 in a 1000 comments and uses it as spin and telling us this in a way that makes it seems like they are all on board with his personal agenda.
Would that be a lie?
or the same situation with military families in America, you know like the ones he makes personal visits to, ALL THE TIME.

Yes, we the people are to blame, and i don't care if you voted for this monster or not.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 6:26 am

I am pro-America, but definitely anti this government.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 7:39 am

What exactly is "car dating"? A very interesting image is coming to mind... 8O

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 7:55 am

I'm a stupid american teenager and damn proud of it!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 10:04 am

I personally, despite DrinkingT's opinion of me to the contrary, am not anti american. I am anti american GOVERNMENT, and anti american attitudes (Well, anti WESTERN attitudes, to tell the truth), but americans on the whole, I like.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 10:52 am

Well, I never go into the chat, so I don't know what happened.

If I were you, I would get used to it, and get used to it fast. I belong to a UK aspie forum as well, and we don't let Americans on because we hate them so much. The feeling is pretty universal outside America.

In the 80's and even 90's most people respected America, but now we are so fed up of you lot dictating to the rest of the world how we should do things. Fine, you can run your country how you like, but stop telling us Europeans that our "social model" is crap and that we should embrace your neo-liberal style capitalism, because we ain't going to buy it. We just get pissed off.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 11:07 am

RobertN wrote:
Fine, you can run your country how you like....

A little less pollution would be nice!

That sea level wont drop on its own.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 11:08 am

RobertN,
Why blame all Americans for the actions of their government,the vast majority are innocent (aka general public),and a lot of Americans do not agree with many aspects of their country (execution of alleged criminals for example).
Americans have as much control over George Bush as we do over Tony Blair (remembering the recent war and his choice to ignore the majority opinion of UK residents).

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 12:21 pm

RobertN wrote:
If I were you, I would get used to it, and get used to it fast. I belong to a UK aspie forum as well, and we don't let Americans on because we hate them so much. The feeling is pretty universal outside America.
f.

If your talking about the village, its UK only because we want to limit the members to attenders of the meetups etc. An american aspie living in the UK would be very welcome in the village.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 1:53 pm

RobertN wrote:

In the 80's and even 90's most people respected America, but now we are so fed up of you lot dictating to the rest of the world how we should do things. Fine, you can run your country how you like, but stop telling us Europeans that our "social model" is crap and that we should embrace your neo-liberal style capitalism, because we ain't going to buy it. We just get pissed off.

Robert, have you learned nothing of the little disputes we've had these last couple of weeks? In a vast majority of cases I'd actually agree with your sentiments, but you've generalized it to an entire country of people, which also happens to include many of the members on this forum. You're just not getting it.

You do realize such sweeping generalizations are dangerous do you not?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 1:59 pm

RobertN wrote:

Here's a shout out to the angry aspie from the UK. :twisted:

Lee Greenwood:

Proud to be American

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land

God bless the U.S.A.!

Nickname
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2005, 2:58 pm

""Why blame all Americans for the actions of their government,the vast majority are innocent (aka general public)""

The vast majority voted George Bush.

I hate American patriotism, is pathetic, hilarious and thoughtless
Is the country with the higher flags density.