MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:32 pm

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 1:01 pm

What an earth are you talking about slowmutant?

You might as well have said:

Quote:
what about those apple trees killing their kids?

what do banana trees have to say about this? Is this the famous fruit tree privilege we here so little about?

Rationalizing appleicide with post-ripen depression .. :?: :?:

In other words a logic failure has occurred. Debug your code.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 1:20 pm

slowmutant wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
f**k I get sick and tired of people making assumptions and judgements about things they know nothing about. Slowmutant what do you know about depression and the influence of hormones on the brain, please enlighten us with your knowledge on the subject.

I suffer from depression. I suffered with it al through my teen years and went through several hospitalizations because of it. I know a thing or two about depression.

Depression has occurred as long as there have been people, but that does not equate to understanding of depression. I have had Strep throat, but it doesn't make me a bacteriologist.

And the Homer Simpson avatar does not inspire confidence.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Depression has occurred as long as there have been people, but that does not equate to understanding of depression.

Tell me why you're the big expert on depression, then.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

I don't consider myself a 'big expert' but know enough to challenge your statements, because:

I have not only experienced it, but because I have studied it - have taken advanced physiological psych, reviewed the research, written college level papers on it that were described as outstanding, diagrammed out monoamine pathways, and have talked to people who really are 'big experts.'

And I'm not the only one here that thinks that you missed the mark on this discussion. I really don't see feminists advocating that women have a prerogative to commit infanticide.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 2:13 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
Rape is about as inevitable as romance.

Which is to say, not inevitable at all. Possible, but not unavoidable.

Im gonna have to disagree with you about that slowmutant. Rape has been taking place throughout history and around the world and its Not Even a uniquely human behaviour! I really dont see any evidence that there is any surefire way to make rape disappear completely.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 2:21 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
What an earth are you talking about slowmutant?

You might as well have said:

Quote:
what about those apple trees killing their kids?

what do banana trees have to say about this? Is this the famous fruit tree privilege we here so little about?

Rationalizing appleicide with post-ripen depression .. :?: :?:

In other words a logic failure has occurred. Debug your code.

well said equals.

slowmutant, have you been drinking too much consecrated wine lately or are you just bored? :roll:

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 3:29 pm

slowmutant wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
f**k I get sick and tired of people making assumptions and judgements about things they know nothing about. Slowmutant what do you know about depression and the influence of hormones on the brain, please enlighten us with your knowledge on the subject.

I suffer from depression. I suffered with it al through my teen years and went through several hospitalizations because of it. I know a thing or two about depression.

What a piss weak argument, like I thought you know nothing about postnatal depression. Like many people who suffer from depression, all you know about are the manifestations of YOUR depression. Postnatal depression is an incredibly complex area and one that I hope populist judgemental types keep out of.

As for your dismissive views on rape, please do explain

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 6:29 pm

Ahhh...poor slowmutant...you mentioned the 'f' word. I also have trouble seeing how this is a feminist related subject, but can understand how you might be interested in what modern-day feminist might think of it. Personally, I think anyone who kills, except for self-defense or accident, has something a bit off in their brain. Mothers are no different. Their acts just touch a different internal trigger in others.

I have wondered before if it is even depression at all. It seems to me more animalistic and I think it is possible we may not really know why humans do it, anymore than we know why animals sometimes kill their young. I remember many years ago watching a documentary on the subject with interviews of three women. Two of them set off something cold in me. The other, had actually done it twice. After the first, she searved time in a state mental correctional facility and received therapy throughout her incarceration. Her doctor convinced her she was better and could have another child. He was wrong. The interview was from prison. She was so remorseful and I believed she had no clue what-so-ever about what drove her to do these things. For some reason, I felt sorry for her.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:40 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

What a piss weak argument, like I thought you know nothing about postnatal depression. Like many people who suffer from depression, all you know about are the manifestations of YOUR depression. Postnatal depression is an incredibly complex area and one that I hope populist judgemental types keep out of.

As for your dismissive views on rape, please do explain

populist judgemental types?

you make postnatal depression sound almost mystical.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Yeah you'd know a lot about depression caused by radical hormonal changes due to 9 months of fetal-development, birth, and post-birth. It is a shock to both the body and mind.

Dude stop talking about s**t you have no clue about. How on earth can you compare your own depression with what a woman's body goes through in the birthing process?

Killing of offspring is nature's cruel way of natural selection... we see it in many animals, the difference is humans have options. Some women get post-partum depression and some don't. Some get it when it can be controlled. If a woman feels like harming or killing her baby, she has the option to quickly hand the baby to someone and tell them what she is thinking so she can get help, and the baby will be safe.

Post-partum depression is nasty, I have seen it first-hand. You can't just 'get over it', and there is no way you can compare it to teen-depression like you are trying to do slowmutant... how ignorant can you be?!

I am not at all defending women killing babies, but it's a sad fact of nature, and none of us like it, that is why there are options for women to get help, and they should get it as soon as they feel the signs.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:16 pm

Dent, have you experienced postnatal depression?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:21 pm

Just because it is natural does Not mean that its *good* or in any way acceptable. Rape is more or less nature's brutal means of sexual selelction: Males that cannot attract a female force her to bear his children. Its my understanding that post-partum depression has 2 pychological causes: When a woman is pregnant she is used to getting all the attention and after the baby's born its the baby who gets all the attention as well as demands her attention and she feels neglected. Its also the fact that when a woman gives birth to a baby she becomes very dependent on others(such as her hubby/family) and some women really dont take well to losing their independence. But seriously, if a woman wants to be TRULY independent and never give that up she is probably gonna have to forgo having children(of her own).

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:26 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Have you?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:28 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Have you?

Guys don't get post-partum depression, not even the gay ones.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:33 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Have you?

Guys don't get post-partum depression, not even the gay ones.

Then stop talking about it as if you know what women go through in postnatal depression.