slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:37 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Dent, have you experienced postnatal depression?

Have you?

Guys don't get post-partum depression, not even the gay ones.

Then stop talking about it as if you know what women go through in postnatal depression.

How can it be all that different from other kinds of depression? The cause of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, is it not?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:40 pm

How about this: Women who kill their own children should be sentenced to Death. So EVEN IF it is post-partum depression related they will STILL be treated as premeditated murderers and dealt with the same way. Think if it as a form of artificial selection. By executing such women will send a message to other mothers who may have those impusles that if that cannot or will not control them they will face deadly consquences.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:47 pm

Is temporary insanity a valid legal defense?

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:47 pm

slowmutant wrote:
How can it be all that different from other kinds of depression? The cause of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, is it not?

So emo kids know what it's like? Yeah right....
Hormone changes happen all over the body, not just the brain. I was depressed as a kid too, it is hard stuff, but not the same as postnatal depression.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Is temporary insanity a valid legal defense?

Well if it is, it shouldnt be. If you do something that extreme it really shouldnt matter what your mental state is, you need to be eliminated from the population.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:54 pm

I'm neither Emo nor a kid, btw.

And let's have out with the secret knowledge of PND, shall we? I don't like you hanging it over my head.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:54 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

So emo kids know what it's like? Yeah right....
Hormone changes happen all over the body, not just the brain. I was depressed as a kid too, it is hard stuff, but not the same as postnatal depression.

QUIT ingoring my posts, Chibi_Neko! :x

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:
What does feminism have to say about this? Is this the female privilege we hear so little about?

If the baby is male, why not? ;)

Quote:
Rationalizing infanticide with post-partum depression ... :?: :?:

Just that human beings (no matter what is the gender) are not always rational and many, many times act irrationaly, following their own biological, chemical, hormonal and biological functions and imbalances as well neurological, rather than analyzing things and make the correct or rational decision, according to our standards, which means, that those aspects in biology can affect the processes of thought, which would make few people act crazy and not being able to reason propertly in order to make a decision carefully, at least from what I gather it seems to be like that, we are not that different from animals in many aspects to be considered actually superior or the like. Sadly humans are not entirely rational, many act on impulses such as animals do.

About rationalizing infanticide, well, some can reason that protecting life that much is the cause of overpopulation, in which, the position to attack it, defending it or simply to state to lack of meaning, can be debated within philosophical and ethical grounds I believe, and well, we are in the PPR forum.

Now, about what feminists have to say about this, I don't know, would some argue that such women should be excluded from legal responsability of said action? perhaps, but I don't know if there is any case like that.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:16 pm

Haliphron wrote:
QUIT ingoring my posts, Chibi_Neko! :x

If you are talking about the post where you talked about things being natural, but not good... I have read it. I know that social issues such as support from the father or family plays a roll, but there are cases in which the mother has all the support in the world, but the changes to her body was too much and she still got depressed, I know a lady that it has happened to. There is even a evolutionary psychological hypothesis as to why this happens. That is why I mentioned in my first post that different levels of depression can happen, some women can control it, some need intensive therapy.

Sometimes it can be called postpartum exhaustion, caused by sleep deprivation coupled with hormonal changes in the women's body shortly after giving birth, may be mild or severe, most cases noted with women who have babies with severe colic or other underlying causes that keeps abnormal sleep schedules.

There are many factors to it, but comparing it to teen-depression like slowmutant is, is just plain absurd.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:17 pm

monty wrote:
And the Homer Simpson avatar does not inspire confidence.

I like the avatar, but I prefer the previous Homer Simpson avatar better though.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:18 pm

I wasn't comparing it to teen-depression. I was comparing it to depression in general.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:20 pm

greenblue wrote:
monty wrote:
And the Homer Simpson avatar does not inspire confidence.

I like the avatar, but I prefer the previous Homer Simpson avatar better though.

Since when must our avatars inspire confidence?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:23 pm

slowmutant wrote:

I don't know, but I can say that sometimes it feels like arguing with Homer Simpson himself :P

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:26 pm

greenblue wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

I don't know, but I can say that sometimes it feels like arguing with Homer Simpson himself :P

How do you think I feel, arguing with a question-mark? :P

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:51 pm

greenblue wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Quote:
Is this the female privilege we hear so little about?

If the baby is male, why not? ;)

Sad thing is, in other cultures such as China and India, infantancide is encouraged mostly by male dominated societies when a female is born. :(

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:58 pm

Haliphron wrote:
How about this: Women who kill their own children should be sentenced to Death. So EVEN IF it is post-partum depression related they will STILL be treated as premeditated murderers and dealt with the same way. Think if it as a form of artificial selection. By executing such women will send a message to other mothers who may have those impusles that if that cannot or will not control them they will face deadly consquences.

Is it like that already anyway?
I mean, what really happens to women in all cases like this, in western developed societies at least?

I believe the question about what the feminism view on this is, is valid, doing it in a different take, to learn what is their actual position related to cases like this, the moral and ethical issues, and wether the insanity defense should apply or not and why.