Other (please specify) 35%  35%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 68

ed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

Jimbeaux wrote:
Sand wrote:
According to this article (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/ ... 5179.shtml) the average Wall Streeter earns 10 times more than the average worker not counting bonuses. I wonder how much harder it is to work in the stock market than digging in a coal mine where one's life is in constant danger.

Just take into account the choices that got each of them there before passing judgment. I basically sacrificed my late teenage years and early 20's to get a good education and thus a good job and a good lifestyle. My cousin partied and failed out of college, knocked three girls up, and lives paycheck to paycheck. Yet, when people look at the two of us, they think its unfair that I have and he doesn't.

In America, if you don't like what you are doing, you can change your circumstances. If you don't like working in a coal mine, do something else.

This is the thing I hate most about those who have "made it" in our society: their belief that because they made it, anybody can make it, and it is only because of "bad choices" that they didn't.

We are created equal under the law only. In all other respects, we are not. You had enough of whatever it takes to accomplish your goals. Congratulations. But please don't assume that everyone else has these same attributes. I tried college four times, but don't have whatever it is that you have. This is true of many others, I am sure.

It has been my experience that the common workers work much harder for their pittance than the big-money people do for their salaries. I know you think that's fair. It isn't

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 1:59 pm

ed wrote:
...It has been my experience that the common workers work much harder for their pittance than the big-money people do for their salaries. I know you think that's fair. It isn't

And what exactly about LIFE is "fair"? Any "fairness" created by humans is purely artificial and comes at the expense of having someone put their boot on the neck of someone else.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

ed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

MrMisanthrope wrote:
ed wrote:
...It has been my experience that the common workers work much harder for their pittance than the big-money people do for their salaries. I know you think that's fair. It isn't

And what exactly about LIFE is "fair"? Any "fairness" created by humans is purely artificial and comes at the expense of having someone put their boot on the neck of someone else.

I'll go with artificial fairness...

To me, the expression "from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs" is intuitively obvious.

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

ed wrote:
MrMisanthrope wrote:
ed wrote:

To me, the expression "from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs" is intuitively obvious.

Ah. Theft.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 5:44 pm

ed wrote:

That is tantamount to slavery. Each able person should receive according to what he produces.

ruveyn

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2009, 5:50 pm

ed wrote:
This is the thing I hate most about those who have "made it" in our society: their belief that because they made it, anybody can make it, and it is only because of "bad choices" that they didn't.

Anybody CAN make it! That doesn't guarantee that everybody will. Some people aren't willing to put forth the required effort, aren't willing to take the risks required, make bad decisions that preclude them from making any attempt to make it, or are comfortable sitting where they are just being content to either complain about others having more than them or by voting in candidates who will take from others to give to them.

ed wrote:
We are created equal under the law only. In all other respects, we are not. You had enough of whatever it takes to accomplish your goals. Congratulations. But please don't assume that everyone else has these same attributes. I tried college four times, but don't have whatever it is that you have. This is true of many others, I am sure.

I failed at college twice myself. I suffer from dyslexia, OCD, and major depression. It took a LOT of effort and sacrifice for me to make it. A lot more than it takes a lot of other people who have made it. Is it fair? No! But it is what it is, so we make the best of what we are given in life and strive to be the best that we can. When one is convinced that whatever they are doing is the best that you can do, they are right and will never do better.

ed wrote:
It has been my experience that the common workers work much harder for their pittance than the big-money people do for their salaries. I know you think that's fair. It isn't

But more people can do what "common" workers can do than what big money earners do. I worked in fast food for five years. I physically worked hard. When I left work, I left my work issues at work. Now I work in information technology and mentally I work much harder than I did. Plus fewer people can do what I do as well as I can so I command a higher salary. And yes, it is fair.

ed wrote:

Of course you do, because you would be on the receiving end. Communism looks good on paper, but everywhere it is tried in practice it fails miserably. Human nature is to maximize return while minimizing effort. If people are going to make the same amount of money by being a brain surgeon as sweeping the floor, almost everyone would chose sweeping the floor. Having seen the Soviet Union in 1986, I have seen this in practice.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm

Jimbeaux wrote:
ed wrote:

Anybody CAN make it! That doesn't guarantee that everybody will. Some people aren't willing to put forth the required effort, aren't willing to take the risks required, make bad decisions that preclude them from making any attempt to make it, or are comfortable sitting where they are just being content to either complain about others having more than them or by voting in candidates who will take from others to give to them.

Wow that's naive.

On an interesting side note, I think I read somewhere recently that the brains of people who were raised in poverty showed what looked almost like the kind of damage you'd associate with a lesion in parts associated with things like executive function. The idea that everyone is in an equal position to excel in life is not only a misguided justification of income inequality, it's completely ridiculous.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:38 pm

Jimbeaux wrote:
Sand wrote:
According to this article (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/ ... 5179.shtml) the average Wall Streeter earns 10 times more than the average worker not counting bonuses. I wonder how much harder it is to work in the stock market than digging in a coal mine where one's life is in constant danger.

Just take into account the choices that got each of them there before passing judgment. I basically sacrificed my late teenage years and early 20's to get a good education and thus a good job and a good lifestyle. My cousin partied and failed out of college, knocked three girls up, and lives paycheck to paycheck. Yet, when people look at the two of us, they think its unfair that I have and he doesn't.

In America, if you don't like what you are doing, you can change your circumstances. If you don't like working in a coal mine, do something else.

Bullshyt. A huge number of people don't have a choice.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm

-points to Barbara Ehrenreich's book of "Nickel and dimed"- it's from 2000, but still a pretty good read, and what's scary is that it's still pretty actual. <.<

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 12:13 am

atheists???

obviously an america-based thread. i have yet to meet a truly christian norwegian. even religious people ive met, could just as well go under "agnostic"

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 12:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
AdvilPM wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised I'm the only one that chose the Jews as the most hated group in the world.

Antisemitism is so 20th century.

It was also so 17, 18 , 19 th century and will be so 21 st century also.

In the Muslim world (dar al Sala'am) they blame the Jews when it rains and spoils their picnics. They also blame the Jews for provoking the Crusaders to attack them.

In addition to that, antisemitism runs rampant in Europe. Not as bad as it was in Germany during the 30s and 40s however. In France they don't like the juifs either.

ruveyn.

no it doesnt. i live in norway, next to sweden, ive been to sweden, denmark, germany, czech republic and spain, spain a lot of times (mainland spain, city spain, not tourist-spain).
if it was "running rampant" we'd know.

believe me, we'd know.

dont believe the whole europe-centered fear-drama you guys get on the news "on the other side", ive seen what you see, i get cnn, and ive seen the angles american news stories take.
like the paris riots.
reality: paris ghettos rioted. many buildings lacked water and power, for decades. ghettoes, as always, filled w people from the colonies: north africans, algerians, moroccans.
ANGLE: muslims riot in paris.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2009, 5:19 am

twoshots wrote:
Wow that's naive.

On an interesting side note, I think I read somewhere recently that the brains of people who were raised in poverty showed what looked almost like the kind of damage you'd associate with a lesion in parts associated with things like executive function. The idea that everyone is in an equal position to excel in life is not only a misguided justification of income inequality, it's completely ridiculous.

No, its a fact. Its sad that too many people accept the lie that they CAN'T make it. Just where many of the powers that be want you, in your own set of mind forged manacles. Enjoy your life full of envy and mediocrity.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2009, 5:21 am

Sand wrote:

The VAST majority of people who "don't have a choice" are in their situation because of bad choices they've made. But, keep telling yourself that you don't have a choice and you will be right.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 5:40 am

Jimbeaux wrote:
Sand wrote:

The VAST majority of people who "don't have a choice" are in their situation because of bad choices they've made. But, keep telling yourself that you don't have a choice and you will be right.

And why do you think they made bad choices? Brains? Opportunity? Education? That's a lot of people.

sketch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2009, 5:55 am

i dont hate anyone really i misunderstand some people though.
i think that the black community, african american people, have been misunderstood. as i said before i dont hate them, i've just been conditioned by movies and television to be cautious of "the single black male" the one thats always on cop shows being arrested or killing people.
i know thats all fake though and its an irrational fear, its a very unfair demographic.
im very thankful for obama getting in as president of the u.s
hopefully it'll push over the the negitive coverage that black males have been getting for too long in the media.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 8:00 am

i do not see any individual as any different than any other individual. i have concepts of general race that are probably very stereotypical and ignorant, but they are impressions that i have loosely arranged from what i see of other races represented in our media, and from what i have noticed in my real world.
if i meet any single person from any race, i have a blank slate in my mind with which to accept them.
-----
Blacks: (there are many phenotypes of blacks. like the mongoloid ones or the negroid ones or the australoid ones).

mongoloids.

cons: asians are too populous and they do not consider life as valuable as westerners because there are so many of them that oversupply results in reduction of value (notionally). that is in asia, but there are many "superior" minded asians that come to australia.

in australia, they tend to congregate together and feel intellectually superior to white people. they call australians "the white trash of asia". they say "hairlessness is next to godliness" and consider themselves more evolved than us. this may be true but it is unsavory to assert. (i am more hairless than them because i do not even have hair on my legs) . they say that they can smell a rancid odour from westerners, and i say i smell a "soy sauce" odor from many asians.

pros: asians are very clean and proper and polite mainly as i see them. they do not incite violence to the degree others do in australia. they are generally honest (i know there are exceptions like the triads etc) and they work hard and contribute positively to this country. crime is low in asian communities here, and usually only directed toward other asians.
--------
negroids:
cons: .....i can not think of any. we have almost no negro's here. i have met a few and they were fine. maybe i do not like the rap culture where they point their fingers in all directions when they speak in a contrived hip way. i also dislike the extreme sexuality of negro music videos where the girls are sassy and the boys are ...well back to front base ball cap wearing "gangsta" style people.
it does not make them bad though. i just have no taste for that.

pros: negroes have the best fundamental musical ability of any race i think. their happiness is also the most natural. also they have excellent senses of humor and i quite like negro people. i can not understand why people think they are intellectually inferior to whites, as i see them as equally intelligent.
--------------
australoids:

cons: they are not designed for a western way of life and they are always at the bottom of the western ladder of health and achievement, and they throw rocks at us and snatch the white womens handbags and complain bitterly always about white australians.
every time an aborigine is handed a microphone, they complain about the genocide their ancestors suffered at the hands of us white fella invaders. they are telling the truth, but no one is alive still from that time. neither the victims or the perpetrators.
i certainly never hurt an aborigine so i do not know why they hate me automatically.
when we as a nation say "sorry", they say "well pay us lots of money then". we try to help them but they go and spend their money on alcohol or glue and ruin their livers and brains, and they are seen sprawling like drunken walruses on the ground the day they are paid.
they die usually in their 50's and they blame us. we introduced alcohol and they have a genetic predisposition to become addicted to alcohol, and they also have a predisposition for alcohol to turn them into pathetic rambling lumps. but if we try to stop the supply of alcohol to aborigines, it becomes a human rights violation issue and a concern that there is one rule for whites and another for aborigines.
the only way to solve that one is for all white people in this country to give up drinking alcohol and make it illegal for all. that is not going to happen.

it is not a reason to hate them though. it is a reason to consider them at a loss however.

pros: there are pure blood aborigines that have never had alcohol in their lives who still roam the outback eating bush tucker. at our family property at brewarrina, i was driving my jeep down a track and saw a pure aborigine walking and i asked if he wanted a lift. he spoke english somewhat and said yes.
i very much liked him and he did me too and i drove him to many waterholes so he could check what he wanted to check. i was very interested and he told me what he was checking and why and i found his personality to be extremely wise and soothing.
i think aborigines without alcohol or mcdonald's are a very capable and impressive race.
-----------
Jews: (i have no real opinion about jews).

cons: there is a jewish school in st ives (a nearby suburb) and i see when i drive past that there are armed security guards standing at the entrance to the school, and also they patrol the fence lines of the school. the fences of the school are about 20 feet high and they are excessively paranoid.
at one point about a year ago, they took it upon themselves to put a sign on the footpath outside the school that said something like "footpath reserved exclusively for students and their parents".
then they took it upon themselves to crash tackle and remove innocent people who walked in front of their school who ignored their unofficial sign.
i read in the paper that a bearded man who ignored their sign was tackled and received a broken jaw and a fractured skull for walking past their sign and refusing to stop when their security people commanded him to. it caused an uproar among non jewish people.
they (the jewish school) expected that non jews with no kids at their school should stop and cross a six lane highway, and walk on the other side of the road, and then when past the school, cross back to resume walking on their intended side of the road.
the jew's sign was found to be completely non authorized by any council and they made it up and enforced it. that is not a way to act and i have some understanding of how the palestinians feel about the sense of entitlement some jews seem to adopt.

pros: they keep to themselves when not interrupted.
--------------
Muslims:
cons: their lives are dominated by religion and paranoia. they think that others who practice things that are frowned on by their god should be punished.

they think in terms of believers in allah, and "infidels".
all the west are infidels according to them. and they have a deep rooted hatred of any sentient being that does not recognize their god. they believe they are the true inheritors of the world after they stamp out the infidels who try to usurp it.
they have no qualms about extinguishing lives that they do not think deserve to exist.
they are blinded by some madness that causes them to seize upon religion as their only anchor point against annihilation.

pros: i never met a muslim like those fundamentalist ones i just spoke about. i had a muslim friend called "salim" and he and me talked very well and respected each others true value always. the depth of his convictions coupled with his liking of me made me feel that he was very true and loyal.
i think if a muslim befriends you and likes you, that they may be the most loyal race and the most likely to step in and defend you if you are failing to deal with a situation.
i think that if a muslim says to me "i believe in you", then i utterly accept without cynicism his honesty.
i think that muslims are the least likely to pretend they like you if they do not. i think that you always know where you stand in a muslim persons mind.
------
Homosexuals:

cons: some gay people refer to non gay people as primitive and culturally backward. i have heard gay people refer to me as nothing but a common "breeder". well excuse me!?!?! (that is when me and someone (male) wandered into a gay bar by mistake and we were asked to french kiss each other to prove we were gay and we refused adamantly to do so).

pros: they are very honest and usually very gentle and have a fluent way of being which is interesting to "surf" my attention on.
i like gay people as they are probably the most decorous of the groups mentioned in the poll.
----
Atheists...(i have no idea. i do not like to engage in philosophy)
cons: none i can think of
pros: none i can think of

Other (please specify)....
------------
white middle class western caucasoids:

pros: i am one.

cons: very much my phenotype, but not understandable in much of a way by me who is one of them. they get hateful at people like me if they think i am not like them and do not like them. i suppose that is true for the other phenotypes as well.

i can not say, but i think that more people in the world hate white middle class western citizens, than white middle class western citizens hate other people in the world.

so i would say white people who are well off are hated by the most people.