Page 3 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

Erewhon wrote:

For the mayority on the planet is a few days ago the year 2018 started. I love freedom, so also the freedom for them who want to use the creationistic way of counting the years. I follow another way of counting the years, i follow the year that Charles Darwin is born. So in my world its now 209-after-Darwin

To understand the meaning of the 3 images below you have to know a bit of the dutch language 8)

"Darwin raises many followers" is how they translate it online.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 7:18 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Tomorow its 12 february. The date that the genius Charles Darwin was born.
Congratulations Mister Darwin, have a nice day!

Yes Hoorah!

Personally I would have made a new thread because this one is so old...
SHHH! Don't tell the mods I said that... ;)

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:40 am

I find it scary how uneducated alot of you americans are.
Gravity and evolution are just theories?
That's just crazy talk...

I blame christian fundamentalism, americans are way way more religious than europeans in general.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:01 am

@ Pepe, your are right that this evolution thread is old . . . :wink: Its the oldest thread of the universe. :wink:
Its at least 13,7 billion years old, and it will much longer be there as this website and mankind will be alive.
Some religious people say/think that the planet is 6 thousend years old. Okay they have the right to say, but its wrong.

@ naturalplastic. You dit find a good translation. The dutch word for trailer is "aanhanger" and aanhanger is on our language also a word for follower :)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 3:20 pm

The savant Charles Darwin changed many things in our lives.
In the more open-minded and liberal country's there are even streetnames called to the genius Charles Darwin.
Ive collected pictures of streetsigns with Darwin in it. And did make a youtube movie about the Master.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm

Closet Genious wrote:

I blame christian fundamentalism, americans are way way more religious than europeans in general.

Yes, they are “just theories”. Every theory is “just a theory”, because there’s nothing else it could become. There are refuted theories, theories with a little empirical support and theories with an awful lot of empirical support. The craziness lies in ignoring the difference between these.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Yes, they are “just theories”. Every theory is “just a theory”, because there’s nothing else it could become. There are refuted theories, theories with a little empirical support and theories with an awful lot of empirical support. The craziness lies in ignoring the difference between these.

I'm a little confused here...
Are you saying the idea of the world being created in 6 days and the theory of evolution has the same degree of credibility? :scratch:

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

I wonder where in my post you got that idea from :roll:

I don’t like believing, so I usually avoid terms like credibility when I can. The purpose of theories is to predict the results of experiments.

The idea of “the world being created in six days” is, by itself, very vague, so it can be fleshed out in countless different ways. Some of these won’t even be theories in the scientific sense, because they won’t make empirically testable predictions. Others will be equivalent to existing mainstream theories; i.e., they’ll predict the same result for every experiment. The only reason they’re not normally used is that they’ll be more complex—they’re discarded, on practical grounds, by Ockham’s razor. For example, you can toy with the concepts of creation and day, and postulate that known laws of physics were different at that time, in whatever way turns out to be necessary to predict the empirical results we already know, thus gaining no predictive power, but saving your pet theory from refutation. Another theory constructed in this way is Last-Thursdayism.

Naïve interpretations of the idea that the world was created in six days, however, are most likely to result in already refuted theories, by making predictions incompatible with available empirical data.

The theory of evolution, on the other hand, belongs firmly to the category of theories with a decent amount of empirical support, which means a decent amount and variety of experiments have been performed which could, in principle, have refuted it, but didn’t.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 7:46 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I wonder where in my post you got that idea from :roll:

What part of my saying: I am confused by what you are saying and could you clarify, didn't you understand? 8O

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 6:08 am

I understood none of it—I don’t usually understand things I can’t see anywhere in the text I’m reading.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:33 am

Spiderpig wrote:
I understood none of it—I don’t usually understand things I can’t see anywhere in the text I’m reading.

Whats to figure out?

If you take Genesis literally (and not in some figurative "fleshed out" way) then its very specific and straightforward.

The cosmos and earth were all created in six 24 hour periods in 4000 BC. Or then abouts.

So he is asking you if that hypothesis has the same credibility as the combination of evolution through natural selection, and geologic gradualism,that happened over billions of years, that scientists use to explain the origin of life and the earth et al?

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 11:44 am

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:14 pm

Erewhon wrote:

Agreed...
As a species, humanity is an abomination... 8O

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 8:10 am

Actually the bonobo have more reasons to feel sad they are related to humans than a gorrilla.
Because a bonobo is much more peaceful than other primates. The bonobo dont commit genocide.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2018, 11:52 am

The song in de video contains a dutch folk song about sailors with beards. I filled the video with pictures of the genius Charles Darwin, his beard and The Beagle.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 5:28 pm

Ho-ho-ho

[/hide]