Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 12:14 pm

Anybody already mentioned the Darwin Awards?

https://darwinawards.com/

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 1:00 pm

And here’s the link to the Wikipedia page of the shopping centre named after him in his town of birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Shopping_Centre

(I bought my first three CDs in there)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 1:22 pm

Karamazov wrote:
And here’s the link to the Wikipedia page of the shopping centre named after him in his town of birth.

I have a "Kant shopping mall" close by. I'm dubious if either of them would appreciate it :P

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

I have a "Kant shopping mall" close by. I'm dubious if either of them would appreciate it :P

:lol:

Does it sell manifolds?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm

Karamazov wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

:lol:

Does it sell manifolds?

:twisted: :salut:

Never set foot in it - I'm sure Immanuel is spinning in his grave.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 5:39 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

"I shop. Therefore I am!"

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 2:47 am

April 19, today is 138 years since Charles Darwin died. A heart attack was probably the cause. Nothing stands alone in the universe, everything has a cause. Darwin has been a resource for many others. But who is the source of Darwin's own thinking?

That seems to have been the Greek philosopher / scientist Aristotle. So the two never saw each other in real life, there were many centuries between their eras. Fortunately, the art of printing has evolved over the course of evolution, allowing eras to be linked. When a person dies, spiritual knowledge disappears, with ink and paper it is different. Ink and paper are patient, and usually survive the writer's time of life.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 6:20 am

*** November 24 ***

According to the calendar, tomorrow is November 24th. A day like any other day most people might think.
Well, for practicing Darwinists, it is not just any day. In fact, it is a very special day. In the year 50 according to the Darwin-era, the book of books was born for naturalism (do not confuse with nudism, because that is something else)
So many years ago today the baby "The Origin of Species" was born. The spiritual father of that book was Charles Darwin. I do say that the title of the book is "The Origin of Species", but the first edition appears to have been entitled "On The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favorite Races in the Struggle for Life".
Well, even the title, as well as the content, was subject to evolution. Darwin makes references and additions in his book at every turn, references that make it extra difficult for me with a little dislexion to fathom the punch line. With all the knowledge of today, the book would have been many times thicker. Evolution has also brought about people like Richard Dawkins, Midas Dekkers, Menno Schilthuizen, Yuval Noah Harari, Frans de Waal, and the humorous Jelle Reumer. All people who embroidery on Darwin's book. Now that I think about it this way, I think 'embroidery' is a nice synonym for evolution. With the big difference that the people who have a certain goal in mind with needle and thread during embroidery, and the elaboration of evolution is a blind process. The fact that it is a blind process makes it fascinating to me. Evolution is 'sailing in the fog'.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 5:22 am

Good morning mister Darwin. :)
I wish you a very happy birthday.
When the corona is over, i intend to visit your place of birth.

'held op sokken' is a Dutch saying, it means literally 'hero on socks' , but it means that someone is not a hero in the saying.

But in the image below it is a real 'hero on socks' :D

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 12:08 pm

The remains of Charles Darwin lie in Westminster Abbey, where are also the remains of Stephan Hawking. Most biologists think that human evolution has stopped. Stopped in the sense that there are no more branches. Stephan Hawking is not convinced of that. He thinks that the rich people can acquire the money and the knowledge to become a "superhuman" through all kinds of techniques.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 5:51 pm

Today is April 19, according to the time display at the bottom right of my Lenovo display.
Although time and the mechanism that makes time has little shuffle about that same time and mechanism that makes time, and even less how the homo-sapiens will divide and name that time, for practicing Darwinists today its a special day. It is 139 years ago today that Charles Darwin breathed his last. The advantage if you were born in the year 0, you then turn 73, then it is a simple calculation in which year was the date of the death of the genius from Shrewsbury. The cause of death seems to be unclear, a heart attack and Chagas disease are mentioned. At that time, turning 73 years old was above average, i suspect, coming from a wealthy family in which several people from that family were also skilled in medicine will probably have played a role in this. Anne Elizabeth Darwin, a daughter of Charles Darwin, has only turned 10 years old. On April 26, 7 days after his death, Darwin was buried in London.
I do not know whether Darwin's naturalistic view of things was strongly reflected in the funeral.
Now I don't know if the picture below is based on fact and truth, if the picture is based on fact and truth then I can surely conclude that women at that time had a lower and subordinate rank than men in Westminster Abbey. In that regard, evolution has brought slightly more gender equality across much of the planet since the last 139 years.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2021, 1:02 am

What he posited is definitely true- survival of the fittest. Strong character, to me, always wins.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 9:40 am

DesertWoman wrote:
What he posited is definitely true- survival of the fittest. Strong character, to me, always wins.
Humanity has known and practiced "Might Makes Right" for at least as long as recorded history.  Charles Darwin merely expressed it in scientific terms.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 4:40 am

This thread is now so old that the first post is actually closer to the time of Charles Darwin then it is to our own time.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 6:34 am

DesertWoman wrote:

That's right, survival of the fittest. But it is not yet possible to determine what will be a fittest for the future. Fittest does not necessarily mean muscle strength or brain strength. Those who are able to adapt in time to the changes to come will have the greatest chance of survival. It is now impossible to say what changes will take place in the medium and long term. At the moment it is the animal species homo-sapiens who are the fittest. In the long run, with a climate that may change, fish-like species will be the dominant species, or species that can withstand extreme heat and drought. The fact that the future is uncertain makes it all the more interesting for me. In the years after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, it was precisely the fish that could survive in that area.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 6:38 am

Erewhon wrote:
DesertWoman wrote:

That's right, survival of the fittest. But it is not yet possible to determine what will be a fittest for the future. Fittest does not necessarily mean muscle strength or brain strength. Those who are able to adapt in time to the changes to come will have the greatest chance of survival. It is now impossible to say what changes will take place in the medium and long term. At the moment it is the animal species homo-sapiens who are the fittest. In the long run, with a climate that may change, fish-like species will be the dominant species, or species that can withstand extreme heat and drought. The fact that the future is uncertain makes it all the more interesting for me. In the years after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, it was precisely the fish that could survive in that area.

Yes. "survival of the fittest" is not the same thing as "might makes right". If it were then T-Rex would still be around. And bedbugs would be long gone.