Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2009, 4:02 pm

I'm a part time vegetarian (Low iron counts, especially around my period, mean I cannot be a full time vegetarian) and I do my best to respect animals' space. For me, the most important part of this is to curb rampant overdevelopment. Example, in my home state, where we are home to some creatures which exist no place else on the planet, I have extreme anxiety about the effects of building new housing, turning pristine land into agricultural spaces, and logging for luxury woods like sandalwood. My hope is that eco-tourism will become more and more popular, thus allowing us to have an economic incentive to keep the forests pristine, and save the important species.
Mai ho`oni i ka wai lana mâlie. (Do not disturb the water that is tranquil)

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2009, 3:15 am

I like some elements to ALF, such as their campaigns against vivisection. Previously it was beneficial in medical study, but now there are much better alternatives that make the practice outdated and frankly absurd. However, I am very much against their desire to destroy what we generally refer to as pets. I notice your avatar has a picture of two cats. Understand that both PETA and the ALF would consider this animal exploitation.

Further, I believe that many of these animal rights activists could and should be focusing their activist mentality towards human suffering. I'm not going to say that a human life IS more valuable than an animals, but I know I would save a human over any other species.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:13 pm

^^I think we would all agree that PETA are stupid extremists who do absolutely no favours to the ALM or to the majority of vegetarians.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:20 pm

anna-banana wrote:
^^I think we would all agree that PETA are stupid extremists who do absolutely no favours to the ALM or to the majority of vegetarians.

Agreed.

PETA want Ben and Jerry's to start making icecream out of human breast milk instead of cow milk to prevent cruelty to animals. I'm not kidding, either - I wish I was. :roll: 8O

y es como un semestre"

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:48 pm

^^ Oh dear, thank you for indicating this vibratetogether and ana and gina. I believe I do not agree with any of the extremism in any of these groups and do not understand why they do this, as this provides negativity to the true goal. ^^ Also, concerning happy 'pets', I understand why some groups may be against this, but do not agree with this completely. For instance with Nell and Plato (my happy kitties). ^^ I think the definition of 'pet' is different to how I feel for them and many others do for their own non-human family or friends. I disagree with cages, such as for hamsters and such. However with kitties and doggies in particular, they are not caged or restricted, yet I believe they are adopted and given a home. ^^ I am very sorry as I did not know that these groups view this as explotation - I do not completely understand, as for kitties and doggies they are loved and are happy and adopted, just like any human is adopted in the most common circumstance. ^^ Thank you for indicating this everyone. ^^ I become confused as my beliefs evolved by themselves and happily later realised that these may relate to those of groups. I believe I do not follow any particular doctrine. ^^ I am also undecided concerning chickens and cows producing eggs and milk. As long as they do not suffer and are happy, their produce is perhaps just the same as any work within human society, as they receive food and homes also. Though I believe welfare must be improved. Though I believe this is difficult, as again, it is impossible for humans to discover their wishes and obtain consent without being ultimately forceful. ^^ I am sorry for being silly and writing a large amount.
^^ I believe it would be nice if a group was created that attempted to create equality for all. If they fought for the needs of all humans and non-humans alike.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:59 pm

Humans have been enslaving, torturing, killing and eating animals for about twenty or thirty thousand years. It's a tough habit to break.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:09 pm

Sand wrote:
Humans have been enslaving, torturing, killing and eating animals for about twenty or thirty thousand years. It's a tough habit to break.

^^ We have not, I believe. Those humans that live today are not those who have lived past. Though the human species may have, the individuals living today have not, therefore they are not guilty of causing suffering for thousands of years and thus have no habit to break (except for those who enjoy eating meat or enjoy causing suffering for their current lives). ^^ This is a view that seems to be consistent as I have seen often in the media. Often the saving or ending or the acts of a species seem to be mistaken for the same saving, ending or acts of an individuals. Whether you cause pain in a member of species in which there is only one left, or cause pain to an individual to a species of which there are billions (or even trillions, gazillions etc), you are still causing pain.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:17 pm

My great grandpa said while living on a farm, he use to intentionally break the fence so some of the animals were free from being slaughtered. He told me he could never get use to watching or doing the job of cutting throats and breaking knecks of animals that were about to be eaten.

I guess he was an animal lover like myself.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:17 pm

I distrust animal activists somehow, or their ideology for that matter , funny thing is that many activists would benefit themselves medically out of animal testing in laboratories.

On the issue of animal rights, what animals should we respect? I for one, have no respect for cockroaches, mosquitos, spiders, and the like, so I would kill them when I get the chance ;) Would it be alright to say that not killing butterflies for aesthetics reasons to be unfair and discriminative?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:21 pm

I've gotten to the point now where I trap most bugs in jars and then let them out.

Except for the mosquitoes....they don't deserve to live... :evil:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:26 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I've gotten to the point now where I trap most bugs in jars and then let them out.

Except for the mosquitoes....they don't deserve to live... :evil:

yeah I do that too, I even catch spiders in jars and put them outside, although I WANT SO BADLY TO KILL THEM ALL :evil: :P

mosquitos for some reason don't bite me so I leave them alone.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:33 pm

Sand wrote:

I disagree. I believe this only started with commercial factory farming. if you look at the peoples and tribes that still live like they used to thousands of years ago, like in Papua-New Guinea, you'll see how attached they are to their animals and how they value them. Papuan piggies are treated like dogs in Western countries (only we don't eat dogs... but still :p). or look at how the Welsh love their little sheep :wink:

when you have a few of cattle that is supposed to support your whole family you take care of them as if they were your children. when you have hundreads of them, you obviously don't have such contact with them and don't see them as individuals.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:28 pm

So is that why we have those annoying wisdom teeth?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:45 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
So is that why we have those annoying wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth are molars for crushing and grinding. Meat does not need that.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:59 pm

killing and eating animals and torturing them are completely different things Sand.