Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:32 am

more than 300 people are going to 'overdose' on homeopathic remedies... to prove that they have no effect. Finally a heck of a protest.

http://www.1023.org.uk/the-1023-overdose-event.php

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:17 am

Fuzzy wrote:
more than 300 people are going to 'overdose' on homeopathic remedies... to prove that they have no effect. Finally a heck of a protest.

http://www.1023.org.uk/the-1023-overdose-event.php

If they take it with water they might suffer from water toxicity before the "medicine" has any adverse effects though :wink:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:37 am

depends on the medicine...;)

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 11:46 am

I like the name of the campaign. 10^23. :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:13 pm

Since homeopathic medicines are, for all practical purposes, pure water, it seems to me there is a market for a bottle that has a label with a small keyboard to rewrite the prescription. That way the bottle can be refilled from any tap and a homeopathic doctor can key in a code and write the name of the medicine on the perpetual bottle to be filled at home. In a case of changing afflictions the label could be rewritten. Ideally it could be attached to a computer and the doctor and patient need never bother to meet.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:34 pm

This is horrible! All of those people killing themselves for their extremist cause!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:43 pm

Ohio State at 4:35 - Go Buckeyes!!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm

I think this campaign is likely to be ineffective for a few reasons:

1) They just come across as your typical contrarian skeptics' society type. No one really likes to listen to such people.
2) Their answers, when asked why they were there, were bland and seemed canned, as though they were just repeating things by rote.
3) The fact that they have no negative effects from an "overdose" of homeopathic remedies will only reinforce the true believers in claiming that homeopathy is safer than real medicine.
4) They aren't going to get significant publicity.

A far more effective means of combating homeopathic quackery is to strengthen the basic chemistry instruction in school systems, and for public health systems like the NHS to stop funding the nonsense.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:03 am

Orwell wrote:
A far more effective means of combating homeopathic quackery is to strengthen the basic chemistry instruction in school systems, and for public health systems like the NHS to stop funding the nonsense.

Actually, a better method instead to start human testing on the efficacy of homeopathic remedies on deadly diseases. You see, under such a trial, you would only accept the treatment if you believe that homeopathic remedies were effective. So, you know, social darwinism at it's finest! :twisted:

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:07 am

Orwell wrote:
I think this campaign is likely to be ineffective for a few reasons:

1) They just come across as your typical contrarian skeptics' society type. No one really likes to listen to such people.
2) Their answers, when asked why they were there, were bland and seemed canned, as though they were just repeating things by rote.
3) The fact that they have no negative effects from an "overdose" of homeopathic remedies will only reinforce the true believers in claiming that homeopathy is safer than real medicine.
4) They aren't going to get significant publicity.

It gets into one's skin that these guys are able to pull the notion that "the remedies are too mild to cause side effects" yet they are simultaneously able to cause good effects...

We should just wait a couple of generations until the genes that cause such dellusions get ...exterminated out of bad survival rates due to using homeopathic remedies on things that actually need treatment.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:29 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Actually, a better method instead to start human testing on the efficacy of homeopathic remedies on deadly diseases. You see, under such a trial, you would only accept the treatment if you believe that homeopathic remedies were effective. So, you know, social darwinism at it's finest! :twisted:

I know you and Vex are just being tongue-in-cheek, but I'll respond anyways. Is there good evidence to believe that gullibility is an inherited trait? And if it is, in order for such a scheme to work, we would need a widespread outbreak of a fatal (or perhaps fertility-impacting) disease that is easily treated with conventional medicine, and convince people that they need to take an either/or approach between homeopathy and medicine.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:55 am

I do hope non of them are lactose intolerant :lol:

As suggested to fuzzy on IM the homoeopathic lobby would have done well to install a narcoleptic subversive into their ranks.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:55 am

I think that a trust in homeopathy is a learned trait rather than a genetic trait. However, that population's growth might still be stunted by a decrease in the number of propagators. Still, I think that helping the natural predator - chemistry education - is a very good way to do that.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 7:39 am

Yet somehow I think that nowadays waiting for evolution to happen is actually more realistic.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:38 am

Well that's sad....

Guess there's not a whole lot cynics can do for these people.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 1:02 pm

Orwell wrote:
I know you and Vex are just being tongue-in-cheek, but I'll respond anyways. Is there good evidence to believe that gullibility is an inherited trait? And if it is, in order for such a scheme to work, we would need a widespread outbreak of a fatal (or perhaps fertility-impacting) disease that is easily treated with conventional medicine, and convince people that they need to take an either/or approach between homeopathy and medicine.

Well, if gullibility is a personality trait, then I would strongly suspect a high rate of heritability. Most personality traits have about 50% of the variation explained by genetics.

And Orwell, despite all of the difficulties, it will pay off in the end.