America seems like such a backwards place sometimes

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 12:41 pm

How many religious nutters are there in America? Articles like this seem to always be in the news:

http://unreasonablefaith.com/2009/04/02/mother-starves-son-for-resurrection-experiment/

I sometimes think America is on a par with darkest Africa with witch doctors and mumbo-jumbo, the only difference being in America they do the horrible and idiotic things in the name of Christianity. :roll:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 12:45 pm

I'm glad I don't live in america. Too many religious nuts.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 12:56 pm

Well, let's just say I'm not very fond of America, and I encourage the people of America reading this to consider leaving America for the more enlightened countries of Europe.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 1:03 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Well, let's just say I'm not very fond of America, and I encourage the people of America reading this to consider leaving America for the more enlightened countries of Europe.

Just leave your bibles behind in America though! And will the last non-Christian to leave please turn off all the nukes; we don't want the remaining Christian fundamentalists starting Armageddon.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 1:47 pm

Problem is, the religious nuts have invaded the West of Canada <.< i hope they stay there and not come over.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 2:05 pm

C'mon TallyMan, we aren't all like that.

...well, there's a few of us that aren't like that.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 May 2009, 2:10 pm

i know dog, unfortunetly ive witnessed religious wack in this country more than i'd care to have seen

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 2:45 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I'm glad I don't live in america. Too many religious nuts.

How about Iran, especially during the remembrance of Imam Hussein Ali. Men march about whipping their backs until they are bloody.

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 3:03 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
C'mon TallyMan, we aren't all like that.

...well, there's a few of us that aren't like that.

No offence intended. It just seems that there are proportionately lots more Christian nuts in the news from America than anywhere else, even allowing for the size of the American population. I expect to read bizarre religion fuelled atrocities and idiocy in Arabic countries. It is rare for similar things to happen in Europe and where they do happen it tends to be African immigrants who have imported their Christian / demon possession beliefs with them from Africa; and this has resulted in the occasional headless corpse flowing down the Thames.

Every week there are news items from America about some sort of religious associated abuse such as starving the devil out of children. Another common one is health care being denied to kids and prayer offered instead, this usually reaches the news because the kids die of relatively minor, treatable health problems such as diabetes.

On one hand America is an advanced Western society and culture and on the other hand large parts of it seem to be stuck in the middle ages. The dichotomy seems so extreme.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2009, 3:53 pm

Sometimes? Only sometimes? I'm flattered. :P

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 4:07 pm

Nutters are nutters, regardless of their religion. Just recently, someone tossed a three month old infant out of a moving car onto the side of the freeway. I see them as no different as the adult in this case. People kill children every day. What is the difference if they claim to do it for God or for any other reason?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 4:14 pm

claire333 wrote:
What is the difference if they claim to do it for God or for any other reason?

I think some people who become "nutters" do so as a direct result of religion, otherwise they would just be "normal" people. Religious belief, especially fanatical or fundamentalist beliefs can distort a persons standpoints as to what is reasonable behaviour and what is not.

Through indoctrination and brain-washing people can do the most horrific things and believe they are doing the "right thing".

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 4:36 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I think some people who become "nutters" do so as a direct result of religion, otherwise they would just be "normal" people. Religious belief, especially fanatical or fundamentalist beliefs can distort a persons standpoints as to what is reasonable behaviour and what is not.
I have no doubt, in this particular instance, religion played its role. However I have trouble accepting the notion that a mother capable of starving their own child to death would otherwise be 'normal' without the influence of religion.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 5:05 pm

Ouch! >_<

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 5:12 pm

There definitely are - it depends where you go - on the West coast or in the Northeast it's not so bad, but in the South or Midwest it's really bad. Another thing is that stupid people seem to have a lot of kids while the more intelligent people often don't have any or have just 1.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 5:19 pm

claire333 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I have no doubt, in this particular instance, religion played its role. However I have trouble accepting the notion that a mother capable of starving their own child to death would otherwise be 'normal' without the influence of religion.

I think I have to agree with Claire somewhat. People who would do these things are already deviants from societal norms. The fact that a Christian-based cult was the part of this deviation really does not seem that strange or better or worse than some other cultural group existing, and if it weren't that then it might be something else responsible. I mean, I really doubt that there actually is a nation full of atheist rationalists, as American atheists often aren't rationalists but are just godless irrationalists of a different sort than theists. http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB1 ... DAyWj.html and I do not see why other nations would have this completely different.

In any case, America tends to have more deviants in general.