Page 6 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Did you pray that prayer at the bottom of this thread to God?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 85%  85%  [ 33 ]
I have already prayed and accepted Jesus into my Heart and life. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2009, 2:09 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
vibratetogether wrote:
Shadowgirl wrote:
vibratetogether wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
Freedom of speech doesn't apply on a privately owned website, either.

shes not breaking any rules.

to be honest, i like her posts.

theyre eccentric :D

I like her. She's a nice person who creates beautful art. But her ideas? Hmm, not so much.

All I've seen has been her pushing religion on us. I generally try and get along with people, but she is routinely offensive, posting simple polls and controversial articles as opposed to original thoughts and ideas.

I want to like her, I want to like everyone really, but she needs to work on her like-ability.

I'm not trying to push religion on you I'm only giving information about it and being a messenger. You don't have to listen to what I say but I do have people that like it and thank me for telling them of this.

I come with good intentions of helping everyone. Plus I'm also speaking my mind.
I just discuss this stuff on the boards and to people who want to hear it. So if you were to chat with me for example I mostly talk about other things unless its requested.
So I am likable when you get to know me from the otherside.
I get along with atheist and Wicca, pagans, and agnostics.
I mostly inspire people with my actions but here words are all I have. Yes it is harder but I've touched a few on here as well and try to becareful how I talk about these things.

Dig it. This post makes you much more like-able.

Honestly, I know you mean well, but sometimes your approach rubs me the wrong way.

How so?

I can acknowledge and respect your beliefs, so long as you can acknowledge and respect mine. Many of your previous posts seem to be more in the form of "here is something to think about", as opposed to "here is what I think about." You're browbeating us with the message, but at the same time being so impersonal about it. What we're doing now is a more appropriate form of discourse in my very humble opinion.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:10 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:
every single historical person, that cannot be proven, are likely to be amalgams of values and symbols.

ZEGH8578, try this for size.

1: A wandering Jewish teacher, of whom there were many around in Palestine at the time. (Who may well have been called Jesus, because it was a very common name at the time.)

2: A political rebel, of whom there were also many around at the time, and a lot of whom ended up crucified. (And who may well have been called Jesus, either because it was a common name or because he'd actually taken the name in honor of its original bearer - see point 4.)

3: The mythical heroes of the pagan Mystery schools, notably Orpheus and Dionysus, who offered their followers spiritual rebirth. (OK, there's a strand of thought, euhemerism, which believes that all 'gods' were once historical people - Dionysus, for instance, being the guy who introduced the cultivation of grapes and winemaking to Greece - but it's generally agreed that if they did live, it was so far back in the mists of time that they might as well be totally mythical.)

4: The possibly historical, but by this time clearly quasi-legendary, Jewish hero, Joshua ( = Jesus) the son of Nun, who was a symbolic focus of national fervor in much the way St. George has been at time for the English, or Joan of Arc for the French.

All of those strands, and possibly more, could, I think, have gone together to create the Jesus of the Gospels (remembering, of course, that there were once many more Gospels than are now accepted, and that in early times nobody knew or agreed which were the 'right' ones).

I'm not an atheist, BTW. And I'm not denying that the figure of Jesus can have real spiritual power for some people. As can many other figures who are freely acknowledged never to have lived in the historical sense. Is that really such a problem?

its not a problem, its a jesus-discussion on an autism-forum.
my opinion is that: jesus, the person we refer to today, is symbolic.
thats my argument.
its not a problem. im fine. im eating pizza, being happy.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:46 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
vibratetogether wrote:
Honestly, I know you mean well, but sometimes your approach rubs me the wrong way.

How so?

He's given his reason. If you want one more, I saw three threads you had started, all with original posts that seemed designed not to offer information or start an interesting discussion, but only to annoy people you disagree with. In two of those thread you never posted again. That fits my definition of trolling. You say that is not your intention, and perhaps your definition of trolling is different from mine. I ignore people who can't or won't engage in critical debate of what they want me to believe, because I find the attitude too annoying. In two of three of your threads, that is what I saw.

TallyMan wrote:
Shadowgirl wrote:
I come with good intentions of helping everyone.

Helping people is giving food to a starving man or donating blood. Helping people is not trying to indoctrinate them with your propaganda.

By her lights it is not propaganda. I once wasted a lot of time trying to correct someone's misconceptions about evolution. He made a determined and successful effort to ignore any information that could change his mind. I am sure he thought I was spouting propaganda. And I was not even motivated by a moral duty and burning desire to save his soul from eternal damnation. I can see that an honest belief in the threat of hellfire makes converting people a moral duty. Shame that it usually goes with a refusal to engage in critical debate of what they want me to believe. I can't speak for others, but with me that backfires. The fundamentalists even succeeded in tainting my attitude to Christianity as a whole.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:59 pm

Not big on religion as I don't believe in it BUT isn't GOD supposed to have created lLIGHT on DAY ONE and The Sun on DAY FOUR ??

That's ALL you need to know about religion to be honest.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 3:35 pm

Not to mention plants growing and bearing fruit before the sun existed.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 4:31 pm

i always wonderd why jesus never showed up in any other historical or non historical writings other than the new testament

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 4:39 pm

Orwell wrote:

And the first line is just a popular Henry Ford quote.

Ahh the continued slow destruction and revision of history tch tch Orwell shame on you :lol:

What he was actually reported as saying is ''History is more or less bunk...........''

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 4:52 pm

Back to Shadow girl. I am interested in what you actually believe.

For instance is the bible the true word of god ?

BTW at first I thought you were bloody annoying but now I think it is good that we have as passionaltely a religious person as we have passionalt atheists on this forum. Good on you, I only hope that you have thick skin.

Do you have a link to the art that Henrickson alluded to ?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:02 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Back to Shadow girl. I am interested in what you actually believe.

Yes, I am as well .... why do you favor the passages on faith and 'being born again' and proclaiming Christianity when other passages in the Bible state that the kingdom of heaven can be entered from a variety of other paths?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 5:09 pm

what i dont understand is jesus said the kindom of heaven was within you, so why would anyone need to get there? or did he mean something else?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:38 pm

richardbenson wrote:
what i dont understand is jesus said the kindom of heaven was within you, so why would anyone need to get there? or did he mean something else?

Exactly!! These ideas about heaven, the Kingdom of God, salvation, etc are sometimes presented in very different ways in the Bible... simply taking some of the ideas to make doctrine is less valuable than considering all of them as inspiration.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:57 pm

I don't regret anything that i've done in this life ^^, i wouldn't do it again for the life of me -.- And basicly, if going to heaven is the continuation of living, i'd rather disappear in the nether. -.-

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 6:37 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
i see no evidence for heaven, and i dont see how ill "go" anywhere after im dead.

That's the beauty of heaven, not everyone gets there, it'll be a thrill to get rid of few people for once.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 6:54 pm

greenblue wrote:
That's the beauty of heaven, not everyone gets there, it'll be a thrill to get rid of few people for once.

LOL - good to see irony is alive and well. You were being ironic, were you not?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 7:28 pm

greenblue wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
i see no evidence for heaven, and i dont see how ill "go" anywhere after im dead.

i guess its hell for me then
"I'm gonna be surfing on the lake of fire, rocking out … high five at Satan every time I pass the motherfu**ing shore."
8)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:27 pm

Zincubus wrote:
Not big on religion as I don't believe in it BUT isn't GOD supposed to have created lLIGHT on DAY ONE and The Sun on DAY FOUR ??

That's ALL you need to know about religion to be honest.

That's odd. Do you think the Sun is the source of all light in the universe? I really wonder about our education system. In fact the whole thing is bunk because the sun doesn't create light, it absorbs darkness. Thus it doesn't make sense to create light, for obvious reasons.