Page 9 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next


Did you pray that prayer at the bottom of this thread to God?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 85%  85%  [ 33 ]
I have already prayed and accepted Jesus into my Heart and life. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 458

16 May 2009, 10:51 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Shadowgirl wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
I have to agree with Dan Barker of the Freedom From Religion Foundation ( http://www.ffrf.org ) That if Christianity were true I'd rather go to hell anyway - better to burn than spend an eternity polishing the vanity of an all-powerful dictator and bully. As Richard Dawkins said:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."



You don't want to go there. Thats what this prayer is for. If you say it and mean it in your heart you will be saved from Hell. The devil is trying to trick you. God is a God of love and will not bully or hurt you.
I think before you come to a decision like that you should read the book "23 minutes in Hell" by Bill Wiese. Learn about it and avoid it.
God doesn't send anyone there they send themselves and it hurts God everytime someone goes there.
Get to know God more and you'll see he's great and loves you.


Are you insinuating that the devil wrote the old testament?


No the prophets wrote it under Gods direction. The devil wants you to think God is bad but he isn't hes a good God and loves you and everyone.


_________________
How to Know God Personally through Jesus Christ
http://www.ccci.org/

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w


MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2009
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 777

16 May 2009, 12:08 pm

What was that George Carlin routine about that? If I loved someone I wouldn't torture them under any circumstances. I also wouldn't - to compare it to the cruci-fiction story - cut off one of my fingers and expect them to accept it in order to forgive them and spray lighter fluid on them and ignite it if they don't. Normal people forgive unconditionally or with a simple apology. We also don't come up with ridiculous rules write them in a book and expect people to guess it's correct among oter books with conflicting ridiculouse rules and the distinct possibility none are correct. Belief isn't a choice either - we believe based on whether we are convinced by a preponderance of evidence.
As Mark Twain said "The first religion was created when the first con-man met the first fool."



DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,884
Location: Victoria, Australia

16 May 2009, 5:02 pm

Sand wrote:
twoshots wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
twoshots wrote:
really wonder about our education system. In fact the whole thing is bunk because the sun doesn't create light, it absorbs darkness.


Mmmmm this is a new one on me, so I decided to hunt for this and guess what NOTHING. Next you will be telling us that the speed of light does not exist, instead it is the speed of darkness absorption

There is plenty of support among the scientific community for the darkness absorption theory. Photons are a myth promulgated by the Newtonian Cabal and overhyped by the zealous and ignorant media.


This is a marvelous revelation of where you come from. It neatly characterizes you for future evaluation of your intellectual competence.


I came to the same conclusion Sand when I read his reply. It occurred to me that there is also support amongst the 'scientific community' for the theory of Intelligent Design.


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,731
Location: Boötes void

16 May 2009, 8:01 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Sand wrote:
twoshots wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
twoshots wrote:
really wonder about our education system. In fact the whole thing is bunk because the sun doesn't create light, it absorbs darkness.


Mmmmm this is a new one on me, so I decided to hunt for this and guess what NOTHING. Next you will be telling us that the speed of light does not exist, instead it is the speed of darkness absorption

There is plenty of support among the scientific community for the darkness absorption theory. Photons are a myth promulgated by the Newtonian Cabal and overhyped by the zealous and ignorant media.


This is a marvelous revelation of where you come from. It neatly characterizes you for future evaluation of your intellectual competence.


I came to the same conclusion Sand when I read his reply. It occurred to me that there is also support amongst the 'scientific community' for the theory of Intelligent Design.

Oh absolutely there is. As a matter of fact, every single thing that can't make it through peer review is being suppressed by a liberal conspiracy.


_________________
* here for the nachos.


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

16 May 2009, 8:07 pm

twoshots wrote:

Are you insinuating that the devil wrote the old testament?

IIRC, sometimes Gnostics identified Yahweh with Yaldaboath, who is *kind of* like the devil.[/quote]

To use a Tolkienesque analogy, according to the Gnostics, Yaweh is to the True God what Morgoth (Melkor) was to Eru Illuvatar. The Gnostics would have us believe that Yaweh is one of the True God's brain children gone mad and bad.

ruveyn



Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

16 May 2009, 8:13 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:

No the prophets wrote it under Gods direction. The devil wants you to think God is bad but he isn't hes a good God and loves you and everyone.


So why would he instruct prophets to attribute such heinous actions to him with their writing?


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 458

17 May 2009, 4:44 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Shadowgirl wrote:

No the prophets wrote it under Gods direction. The devil wants you to think God is bad but he isn't hes a good God and loves you and everyone.


So why would he instruct prophets to attribute such heinous actions to him with their writing?


Can you rephrase that please?


_________________
How to Know God Personally through Jesus Christ
http://www.ccci.org/

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w


Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,157
Location: Omnipresent

17 May 2009, 11:33 pm

twoshots wrote:
Oh absolutely there is. As a matter of fact, every single thing that can't make it through peer review is being suppressed by a liberal conspiracy.


Finally! Someone said it!!



DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,884
Location: Victoria, Australia

18 May 2009, 3:04 am

twoshots wrote:
Oh absolutely there is. As a matter of fact, every single thing that can't make it through peer review is being suppressed by a liberal conspiracy.



It does not really surprise me that someone who believes this

Image

Has issues with Peer Review



AG I do not understand the meaning of your last post?


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 398
Location: Ft. Worth, TX

18 May 2009, 3:51 am

Asking Jesus into your heart with a prayer as such after reading the 'roman road ' verses... and believing that will save you is a heresay, is not in the Scriptures and will damn you...

Check this out!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDFpiLOX6Bs&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIM1k1ty_qU&feature=related[/youtube]

Shadowgirl wrote:
ARE YOU 100% SURE THAT IF YOU DIED TODAY THAT YOU WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?

There are some things that you should know:

1. Realize that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior:

Ro 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Ro 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"

This all began with the story of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. God created them perfect, there was no death or sorrow. God told them not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They disobeyed God and as a result, sin entered into the world. The pain which this world sees is the result of sin.

2. Because of our sins, we die both spiritually and physically, but God sent His Son to die so that you can have a chance not to have to go to hell by accepting what He did on the cross for you:

Ro 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Ro 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. for us."

Every person who has ever lived is a sinner and is not righteous because we do bad things. A sin is a crime against God, just as if you steal something at the store, it is punishable by going to jail. It's the same thing with sin. Even if we lie one time, the punishment is hell, which is a prison for those who commit crimes against God. No matter how well you live your life from then on, you have already committed a sin which will be punished if you are not pardoned. If you commit a crime, and then live as a good citizen you still will go to jail for the crime you committed. Right? Just as the president can pardon a crime so you won't go to jail, Jesus can pardon your sins so that you do not go to hell, and can go to heaven when you die.

3. If you will confess to Jesus Christ that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior, accept Him as Lord and Savior and believe in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead you will be saved.

Ro 10:9,10 "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.."

Joh 1:12 Joh 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name”

You cannot get to heaven by being a good person, going to church, baptism or any other way other than by turning to Jesus and asking Him to forgive you for your sins and save you. While these are good things to do, some people believe that they will get to heaven if they do these things, but the bible says that there is only one way to heaven and that is through receiving what Jesus Christ did on the cross for you.

Will you do that today? If you will, you can be 100% sure that you will go to heaven when you die.

Do you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead for your sins? Are you willing to turn from your sins to Jesus Christ for Salvation?

4. If you are willing to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior please pray this prayer to God from your heart:

"Dear LORD JESUS, I believe that YOU died on the Cross and Rose from the dead for my sins. I ask you to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins, take me to heaven when I die. I now receive You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus holy name, Amen."

If you prayed that prayer from your heart to God, and meant it with all of your heart, you are now a child of God and will go to heaven when you die.

Now that you are on your way to heaven, you should attend a bible believing church and follow in baptism.

Watch this video and open your eyes if you still don't believe.
http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?vi ... a94dee337e



Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 398
Location: Ft. Worth, TX

18 May 2009, 3:54 am

How do we know we are saved?
Is it because we believe?
How do we know that we believe?

Knowing in our heart that we are saved, how can we really trust a heart that can be wicked according to the Bible?

Jeremiah 17:9, 10 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Examine ourselves, taking the word of God and with the word of God, what it says about a true believer. If we fall short of the test, repent…

Evidence is that we are sensitive to the sins in our lives and we will be led to repentance and confession of that sin. A relationship with God is also an awareness of sin in our lives…

Do we tremble at His word or look for loopholes around it?

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Jude 1:18, 19 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

Are we in the Word and is God pointing out our sins?

We have assurance that we have come to know Him, not just because of one time we repented, but we are continuing to repent today.
And it is not just at one time we believed, but that we are continuing to believe today.
And it is not just that one time we walked with Him, we continue to walk with him today.

We should not be entrapped or enslaved to the things of this present evil age, but we are set free to seek God in His glory and follow Him, and follow hard after Him.

How do we know that we believe?

P.S., I am not a baptist,
p.s.s., I am fine, no one needs to agree with what I said. I have nothign to argue, no need to change anyones mind or such... simply using what I know about this stuff, in response to the original poster.



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,157
Location: Omnipresent

18 May 2009, 11:00 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
AG I do not understand the meaning of your last post?

I am joking. Implicitly claiming that peer review is controlled by the liberal conspiracy, and happy that twoshots was brave enough to say it.



JameAlec
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 66

18 May 2009, 11:28 am

Shadowgirl wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
and what do you think your success rate will be here


I have had some success here actually.
And yet six days later, not a single person has selected "yes" on the poll at the time I'm posting this.



RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 910
Location: Steel City (Golden State no more)

18 May 2009, 12:48 pm

See, this is what makes Christianity such an intolerant religion. We Jews think that not only anyone who is good, but anyone who is sorry for all the wrong they have done in life can have a good afterlife. Christians think you can only go to heaven if you're a Christian too.



ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 912
Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

18 May 2009, 1:12 pm

RockDrummer616 wrote:
See, this is what makes Christianity such an intolerant religion. We Jews think that not only anyone who is good, but anyone who is sorry for all the wrong they have done in life can have a good afterlife. Christians think you can only go to heaven if you're a Christian too.


RockDrummer616, as a Jew, would you mind giving me your take on a couple of things, please? (If you have one in this instance. I mean, you're coming across as someone fairly knowledgeable about your own faith, so I figured I'd ask.)

One is, what's the Jewish view on 'Original Sin' - do you know if such a concept even exists in Judaism, and if so, is it different from the Christian version? (I'd heard something like the latter, but I've no doubt there are different opinions.)

The other is, what about Hell? I have a fair idea that the term Sheol probably didn't mean what Christians mean by 'Hell', and I'd read that at least according to some scholars, Gehinnom didn't either, but I'd like to know if you know anything on that.


_________________
"Grunge? Isn't that some gross shade of greenish orange?"


normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

18 May 2009, 1:25 pm

The fatal flaw in Christianity is that no Christian believes that there's any chance that they themselves are going to Hell. If you believe that really all you have to do to get into Heaven is to believe, then you're not going to believe that you have any chance of going to Hell. Sure Christians believe that other people are going to hell, but I've even heard from preists that even a convicted murderous rapist will get into Heaven if he believes in Jesus and confesses his sins, so therefore the standards for getting into Heaven are pretty low.

I have yet to meet at least one devout Christian who actually believes there is even the slightest chance of them going to Hell, and I don't think I ever will, since as I've been told that "anyone who believes in Christ will be forgiven" which would therefore mean that "all Christians will go to Heaven". The flaw is that this drives people to believe that no matter what they do in life, they will still be rewarded in the end.

As an Atheist, I have no such reward, everything is what it is, and this right now is the only life I'll ever get. Once I die, that's it, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Since right now is the only life I'll ever have, I'm not going to waste it worrying about pleasing a god who forgives rapists. I have nothing to protect me except for my brain. I'm not going to die in a volcano, not because God will save me if I fall in, but because I'm smart enough not to go near one in the first place. I do not believe that there is any kind of a force greater than me that can protect me, it's up to me to stay alive, and so far I seem to be doing that quite well. My bones and all of my organs have a breaking point where they can't handle any more physical stress and will break just like any material. The key to survival isn't to beg for it, it's to make sure that my bones never have to carry a load which they can't physically handle. If I'm stuck in front of a steam roller and there's no possible escape, then I'm gonna be crushed, the only chance I have is that the engine fails, and even then it will be because of a flaw in the engine's design or maintenance.