Page 8 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:39 pm

cognito wrote:
twoshots wrote:
cognito wrote:
okay, let me use small words for you, people don't agree on poltics, people don't agree on religion, so why on earth do you want to mix the two? Also, the reason religion makes a sh***y political argument is becuase NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN YOUR FAITH! example, lets say we put prayer in school, however it is a muslim prayer praising allah. now explain to me why that is bad WITHOUT saying that its because islam is false, because the same logic can and will be applied to your false god as well.

Similar objections apply to political ideologies.

actaully, they don't. because logic is used. Communism has a logic to it, that if everyone gets an equal share, no one will go hungry. Capitilism has logic, if only the best market ideas survive, then innavtion is spawned. conservatives say less spending on welfare helps save money, liberals say personal rights are more important. Religion makes no sense except "IF you don't believe every single word I say then you are gonna burn in hell when you die!"

But at their core political ideologies rely on non-positive claims which cannot be proven right or wrong. A religious person has X set of values (it doesn't really matter how; values derivation varies by sect, running the gamut from natural law theory to divine command theory), which likewise aren't really grounded in anything substantial. Why does it matter if the person admits that they have no decent source for values or if their values derive from a hokey superstition?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:39 pm

cognito wrote:
Religion makes no sense except "IF you don't believe every single word I say then you are gonna burn in hell when you die!"

You are debunking a straw-man. This is not what religion says, this is what you fantasize that religions say.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:43 pm

cognito wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ed wrote:
As for attacking the premise "abortion is murder," that is like this: :wall:

Their religion (or their own sensibilities) says that life begins at conception, and destroying that life is murder. Nothing you or I or anybody else can say can change their minds on that point. I think it is a waste of time to continue to butt heads on that.

Well, it's the only intellectually honest way of addressing the issue.

Look, it's like this:
Premise 1: Fetuses are human beings.
Premise 2: Killing humans is wrong.
Premise 3: Abortion kills fetuses.
Conclusion: Abortion is wrong.

I don't see any flaw in the logic there, so if you want to attack the conclusion, you're not going to succeed by criticizing pro-life reasoning, you have to dispute one or more of the premises. Premise 3 is just fact, that's pretty much the definition of abortion, and you won't succeed in disputing Premise 2. So, you're left with Premise 1. Reject Premise 1, or accept the pro-life conclusion, there really aren't any other options.

Most people would agree with you that a newly-fertilized egg is not human. A blastocyst similarly is not typically recognized as human. But an 8-month fetus usually does seem human enough that people will object to abortions at that stage of development. It becomes a decision of where to draw an arbitrary line separating human from non-human. To me, it seems fairly reasonable to draw the arbitrary line at the end of the first trimester.

at the end of the first trimester, the fetus cannot surivive out of the womb, an 8 month old fetus can. And your premise is flawed, using your logic, if I cut my hair, I am a murder because I am killing the same size and type of cells a fetus has.

It would be helpful if you could break it up into
premise
premise
conclusion
so that it's a bit clearer what you're talking about. I'm fairly certain you aren't using the same logic I am, but rather are just drawing a false analogy.

Last edited by Orwell on 20 May 2009, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:43 pm

Orwell wrote:
cognito wrote:
okay, let me use small words for you,

You'll want to refrain from insulting my intelligence in the future.

I agree. That comment was unnecessary and cruel.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:44 pm

what I am saying is that making policy for a group of people based on religion is nonsensical! Take prop 8 in California, the only opposition to it is on the grounds of religion and tradition, the same two reasons that wanted slavery to remain legal since it was a white man's god given right to have slaves. And Orwell, I said small words to ensure you grasped my concept, since you seem fit to twist whatever I say.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:46 pm

Orwell wrote:
Cognito, you suck at analogies. Break it up into
premise
premise
conclusion
so that it's a bit clearer what the hell you're talking about. I'm fairly certain you aren't using the same logic I am, but rather you just have incredibly sh***y reasoning skills.

So was that.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:49 pm

ed wrote:
Awesomelyglorious, if you read the first two pages of this topic, you will find that you did an excellent job of stating the pro-life position. Sorry if I was wrong, but I think a reading of your posts will show that I had valid reason to believe that.

The other poster was Shadowgirl, who wrote

Shadowgirl wrote:
To me abortion is murder and it should be counted as so.

Well, yes, of course I did. The issue is one of posting style, as I often will argue defending positions that I do not agree with, simply to make sure that they are defended and considered in the face of those who argue against them, as I tend to work somewhat as a devil's advocate, unless I feel like the position put forward is made in a well-considered manner.

In any case, I think I hinted at the fact that I was not pro-life with this comment: "I am just describing a worldview", which suggests some level of personal detachment from the position argued.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:50 pm

cognito wrote:
what I am saying is that making policy for a group of people based on religion is nonsensical!

To you, perhaps, but there is no Constitutional or other legal barrier to individuals voting on the basis of their religious beliefs. People vote on policy decisions for all kinds of nonsensical reasons. In any case, I have already established that non-theistic opposition to abortion is completely possible and, to me, seems just as strong as the religious objections.

Quote:
Take prop 8 in California, the only opposition to it is on the grounds of religion and tradition, the same two reasons that wanted slavery to remain legal since it was a white man's god given right to have slaves.

Prop 8 was stupid. But check your history for once, the abolitionist movement in the United States argued against slavery on religious grounds, while the arguments for slavery were primarily economic.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:54 pm

ed wrote:
So was that.

Edited. I get pushed, I usually push back.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:54 pm

DELETE

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 20 May 2009, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:55 pm

cognito wrote:
what I am saying is that making policy for a group of people based on religion is nonsensical! Take prop 8 in California, the only opposition to it is on the grounds of religion and tradition, the same two reasons that wanted slavery to remain legal since it was a white man's god given right to have slaves. And Orwell, I said small words to ensure you grasped my concept, since you seem fit to twist whatever I say.

I agree, as that is nonsensical!! !

But, I don't think that other people have found a non nonsensical basis for making policy.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:58 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ed wrote:
McTell wrote:
They might just not have looked at this thread again though. I don't know. :shrug:

That's possible, but AwesomelyGlorious and someone else were arguing their pro-life views very forcefully until I posted about telling us the penalty for violating their proposed law, and suddenly they vanished. I plan to attack the pro-life argument again and again on that point, whenever I find pro-lifers voicing the argument that abortion is murder.

They might be able to pass a national referendum that says "abortion should be made illegal," because it is so vague, but they'd lose in a landslide if they ever proposed a referendum saying "abortion is murder," precisely because the consequences of enacting such a proposal would be so disastrous!

I actually don't propose a law, and very rarely ever do propose laws for pre-existent ideological reasons, and actually, I don't even think I am pro-life. I dunno my stance too well, but actually... I suppose if pushed I would actually side with the human extinction movement, which is not only not pro-life, but actually anti-life.

I'm curious. Does this 'human extinction movement' include yourself?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:01 pm

Henriksson wrote:
I'm curious. Does this 'human extinction movement' include yourself?

Usually not, as I think the movement is more of a claim that continued breeding is an evil that people should stop involving themselves in.

I think there are basically two sides to the movement(although I am not certain as I only threw out the possibility without doing a lot of research):
1) The deep ecology side, that says that human beings hurt nature, which I think is stupid.
2) The anti-giving birth side, that claims that human existence involves pain, and for this reason we should not force people to exist.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 20 May 2009, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:03 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
ed wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
You never did answer my question about what the punishment should be for attempted suicide.

I didn't think you were serious :)

I don't think attempted suicide should be considered a crime at all.

I don't either. I think it resembles abortion a great deal more than abortion resembles 1st degree murder. I wouldn't say there should be no penalty for abortion, but life imprisonment is almost certainly way too much.

The other thing your argument seems to be missing is that doctors could be punished as well -- if they could lose their license to practice, I don't think jail time would be needed to keep most of them from doing it. (Although I think jail time would be much more likely to be justified in their case.)

So you think Shadowgirl was wrong when she said

shadowgirl wrote:
To me abortion is murder and it should be counted as so.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:04 pm

I've read of that movement - they don't advocate suicide/homicide, they just advocate not reproducing.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:07 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
I've read of that movement - they don't advocate suicide/homicide, they just advocate not reproducing.

Well, I guess I do that too. But that's because I'm pro-life in that aspect. Living people are sure as hell more valuable than foetuses.