Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:44 pm

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/09/p ... snt-a.html

The author does make some valid points on this matter, and honestly, most political actions are relatively ineffective.

Can a single vote ever change the swing of an election? Then how can it be considered a rational act for the sake of policy? Do our debates ever really change the minds of other people? How often does policy *really* change? For Obama is now criticized for keeping the same policies that Bush had. We can speak of idealisms and dreams, but are these the reality of our political matters?

If politics isn't about politics, then what honest person can consider politics a matter of importance, rather than a petty game going on above their heads?

What are your thoughts on the relationship of politics, policy, and human rationality?

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:57 pm

Wow. That's a LOT to consider...

I guess where I'd start is, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Otherwise, I've got to give this a few hours to organize my thoughts about ALL of this. 8O

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:30 pm

Voters hate policy…or too much of it. They don't want to hear that the one they are voting for doesn't agree with them 90-100%. So politics is a careful PR exercise.

Note that that Bush and Obama barely had a political record before they are elected. This is the new trend (with some previous prescient and presidents). People prefer not to know.

It is also about manifestos (Zzzz…). Those are to appease the polarised and stagnant hardcore, that make up a part of almost all parties. Trying to shift the status quo too early is risky. But is also something many parties feel they need to edge toward to try an change their image.

So yes human nature is partly to blame. We expect thing to be ideal. We are impressionable.