MAGA Teen stands to make a Billion dollars

Page 12 of 13 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,306
Location: USA

10 May 2019, 3:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
I want to see Australian style punishment for Sandmann
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4mwy9OBNA


I figured you shouldn't be taken seriously quite a while ago.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,718

10 May 2019, 3:47 am

Actually I am serious, the kid thinks he deserves compensation. he needs an education.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,306
Location: USA

10 May 2019, 3:57 am

I'd accuse you of wasting my time, but there's not much else going on in WP.



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,286
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

10 May 2019, 4:53 am

EzraS wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...THAT THE MESSAGE-SENDERS WERE STUPID.THAT'S WHAT SET THEM OFF!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ?BRW, are you as incli ed to give such people a break 100% when it's a right-wing snit fit, not the left-wing one that this was :twisted: ? Hmmmnm :wink: ?)
Please show me where the three targets said " He.'s a racist bigot " or. Let's slap him"? Hm :lol:? The. ain text/ programmi g, not their comments we tion or somebody's s
I think the Rolling Stones e case stage was referenced was different, but I'll have to look it up.


I'm unable to decipher that.






...I was answering and referring to things referred to/established earlier in this line. I was posting under tight circumstances - a couple of misposts went up. That really stops you from seeing what I said? Or are you just trying to wriggle away from what I asked :mrgreen: :twisted: ?


_________________
Renal kidney failure, congestive heart failure, COPD. Can't really get up from a floor position unhelped anymore:-(.
One of the walking wounded ~ SMASHED DOWN by life and age, now prevented from even expressing myself! SOB.
" Oh, no! First you have to PROVE you deserve to go away to college! " ~ My mother, 1978 (the heyday of Andy Gibb and Player). I would still like to go.:-(
My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,306
Location: USA

10 May 2019, 5:55 am

ASS-P wrote:
EzraS wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...THAT THE MESSAGE-SENDERS WERE STUPID.THAT'S WHAT SET THEM OFF!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ?BRW, are you as incli ed to give such people a break 100% when it's a right-wing snit fit, not the left-wing one that this was :twisted: ? Hmmmnm :wink: ?)
Please show me where the three targets said " He.'s a racist bigot " or. Let's slap him"? Hm :lol:? The. ain text/ programmi g, not their comments we tion or somebody's s
I think the Rolling Stones e case stage was referenced was different, but I'll have to look it up.


I'm unable to decipher that.






...I was answering and referring to things referred to/established earlier in this line. I was posting under tight circumstances - a couple of misposts went up. That really stops you from seeing what I said? Or are you just trying to wriggle away from what I asked :mrgreen: :twisted: ?


All the emoticons, exclamation points, all caps, hyperbole and other stuff, which makes posting on a phone far more complected, makes your posts very difficult to read. Skipping all that and writing in a regular fashion like the rest of us would make it easier for you to post and make it easier for me to read.



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,286
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

13 May 2019, 11:37 am

...Okay, here goes. I suppose we often have to be very literal (including me).
The conservative lawyer has sued CNN, WaPo, and NBC. No-one else.He has not gone after any actual SENDERS of harassing/threatening messages. Why?. Did the editorial content of those three news organizations say, anywhere, '" send
h/t messages "? Did the editorial content done by those three organizations - not their comment sections or a message board somewhere - say that people should do that?Please show me, if so.
Did the editorial content of those three sites even say any clearly metaphoric but harsh comments, such as " fascist bigot " of " he needs a slap "? Please show me that.
Maybe they did say some putdkenis
-ish comments. WaPo and CNN did issue corrections later. But, how exactly
did they say " make by messages "? And you excuse the people who actually sent those messages for doing it?
And would you apply the same standard to people who make h/t statements from a right-wing perspective after a story in a right-leaning site -? You know that that happens also.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,231
Location: Long Island, New York

13 May 2019, 12:32 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Okay, here goes. I suppose we often have to be very literal (including me).
The conservative lawyer has sued CNN, WaPo, and NBC. No-one else.He has not gone after any actual SENDERS of harassing/threatening messages. Why?. Did the editorial content of those three news organizations say, anywhere, '" send
h/t messages "? Did the editorial content done by those three organizations - not their comment sections or a message board somewhere - say that people should do that?Please show me, if so.
Did the editorial content of those three sites even say any clearly metaphoric but harsh comments, such as " fascist bigot " of " he needs a slap "? Please show me that.
Maybe they did say some putdkenis
-ish comments. WaPo and CNN did issue corrections later. But, how exactly
did they say " make by messages "? And you excuse the people who actually sent those messages for doing it?
And would you apply the same standard to people who make h/t statements from a right-wing perspective after a story in a right-leaning site -? You know that that happens also.

I can only talk morally since I am not a lawyer. I do hold those that adults that sent threats more responsible then the news organizations. The news organizations are not blameless. They did not do their job, like the celebs they rushed to judgement based on the hat Sandmann was wearing, that Phillips is a native American and a edited video posted by a partisan. It seemingly perfectly fit a narrative. For many NT’s “first impressions” is the final impression that is not changed when counter evidence is presented.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,306
Location: USA

13 May 2019, 8:03 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Okay, here goes. I suppose we often have to be very literal (including me).
The conservative lawyer has sued CNN, WaPo, and NBC. No-one else.He has not gone after any actual SENDERS of harassing/threatening messages. Why?. Did the editorial content of those three news organizations say, anywhere, '" send
h/t messages "? Did the editorial content done by those three organizations - not their comment sections or a message board somewhere - say that people should do that?Please show me, if so.
Did the editorial content of those three sites even say any clearly metaphoric but harsh comments, such as " fascist bigot " of " he needs a slap "? Please show me that.
Maybe they did say some putdkenis
-ish comments. WaPo and CNN did issue corrections later. But, how exactly
did they say " make by messages "? And you excuse the people who actually sent those messages for doing it?
And would you apply the same standard to people who make h/t statements from a right-wing perspective after a story in a right-leaning site -? You know that that happens also.


Threats are more of a criminal matter than a civil matter. It's quite possible Nick Sandmann's parents filed complaints with law enforcement agencies in regard to those.

Nick Sandmann was a private citizen and basically no one knew who he was. He was thrust into the spotlight and made a public figure by the media. The lawsuit alleges the media did this in a way that was harmful to the individual.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,718

14 May 2019, 1:29 am

If I read ASS-P's points it occurs to me Sandmann's lawyers are hoping the Kentucky judge will be persuaded the news articles directly resulted in readers making threats toward Sandmann.

The problem here for Sandmann's greedy parents is that the newspaper can't be held liable for the conduct of it's readers if they simply reported the news.

The more I look into the legal side it's a massive leap of faith to claim the newsarticles defamed Sandmann as I think the photo/video of his smug face did more damage in terms of people reading into his intentions (via his picture).



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,831
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

15 May 2019, 6:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
If I read ASS-P's points it occurs to me Sandmann's lawyers are hoping the Kentucky judge will be persuaded the news articles directly resulted in readers making threats toward Sandmann.

The problem here for Sandmann's greedy parents is that the newspaper can't be held liable for the conduct of it's readers if they simply reported the news.

The more I look into the legal side it's a massive leap of faith to claim the newsarticles defamed Sandmann as I think the photo/video of his smug face did more damage in terms of people reading into his intentions (via his picture).


I can see two reasons they filed the lawsuit. The first is to make political points regarding "the evil mainstream news media" -- that is for the publicity. The second is in hopes someone will settle to make them go away.

As for the lawsuit, it's difficult to see any actual damages. The kid is more famous now -- that is probably more likely to help his future career than to hinder it.

There are presumed damages, but in Kentucky that is reportedly limited to things like claiming that he had some kind of disease such as a venereal disease or that he had been convicted a crime. I don't think that's happened.

If the statements were basically just the news reporting while the news media was still getting information about what happened, then the news media should prevail. After all, we don't want to see the news media limited to reporting only verified facts well after the news event was over. Early reporting of events are nearly always incomplete and are often wrong.

That leaves punitive damages. I wonder how often punitive damages are awarded when that's the only damage.

If he was a public figure, actual malice would have to be shown for the lawsuit to succeed in the US. He's not a public figure, but there are arguments that he made himself a "limited" public figure. If those arguments hold up, he probably doesn't have much of a chance of collecting anything.

I saw one report that said that his attorney is a noted attorney for libel cases and that the attorney knows it is a rather long shot.

It doesn't cost much to file a lawsuit and hope someone panics and pays you to go away. I have my doubts about whether the attorney will ever let it go to court.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,306
Location: USA

15 May 2019, 7:47 pm

You say he's more famous now, but I think it could be said that he was completely unknown and suddenly became nationally infamous. Plus he's a minor. Legal cases are built upon precedence, so it would be interesting to look at other times a newspaper et al was sued for defamation and what the outcome was.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,390
Location: USA

15 May 2019, 9:23 pm

The juries I've been on, people are like, "Let's give that woman some money".

Laws don't matter, facts don't matter. The jury decides all that.


Emotion plays.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,465
Location: Boulder CO

15 May 2019, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Laws don't matter, facts don't matter. The jury decides all that.


What makes you so sure?


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,390
Location: USA

15 May 2019, 10:09 pm

cberg wrote:
Quote:
Laws don't matter, facts don't matter. The jury decides all that.


What makes you so sure?

That's how US legal system works.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,718

16 May 2019, 3:19 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The juries I've been on, people are like, "Let's give that woman some money".

Laws don't matter, facts don't matter. The jury decides all that.


Emotion plays.


I thought the judge decides on the compensation?