Police officer quits over fears of reaction to "Floyd" trial

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:54 am

Quote:
A former Minneapolis police officer who quit the department days before the start of Derek Chauvin's trial said he did so fearing there would be riots in the city no matter the outcome.

The officer, a former sergeant, spoke on the condition that he not be named, but his identity is known to Insider.

The former officer said he was up for retirement soon and worried about his safety in what he predicts will be "riots and more destruction" when the jury reaches a verdict, which could happen this month. Chauvin's trial in Minneapolis began March 29.

"If Minnesota had the death penalty and Chauvin got it, people in Minneapolis are still going to riot," the officer said. "They're still going to burn the city down."

Source: https://www.insider.com/derek-chauvin-trial-minneapolis-police-officer-quit-over-trial-reaction-2021-4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:30 am

Given the prosecution has now basically established Chauvin acted inappropriately I would think this officer would just use his brains, I mean how hard is it to "not cause harm" when apprehending unarmed suspects.

This appears to be a massive over reaction on the part of the cop.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:34 am

the bloodyminded sociopathic mindset is "my way or the highway." IOW "if the people won't just let me beat up all the POC i want, i quit." there is no middle ground.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
the bloodyminded sociopathic mindset is "my way or the highway." IOW "if the people won't just let me beat up all the POC i want, i quit." there is no middle ground.

Seems to be part of the culture....background stuff

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:55 am

our calvinist heritage has brought forth, selectively to the present, a personality type i call good little nazis, self-righteous and prudish and smug, a nasty combo, ones who wear a self-adorned halo and take pride in keeping their noses clean and also in being smugly middle-class and looking down their noses at the working class/underclass.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 5:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
Given the prosecution has now basically established Chauvin acted inappropriately I would think this officer would just use his brains, I mean how hard is it to "not cause harm" when apprehending unarmed suspects.

This appears to be a massive over reaction on the part of the cop.

Setting aside the fact that the initial portion of the trial is designed for the prosecution to put forward their case (The defence put their side forward in the second half, which has yet to commence)...The officer resigned before the trial even began (as described in the first line of the initial post in the thread):
Quote:
A former Minneapolis police officer who quit the department days before the start of Derek Chauvin's trial

There's also the detail that he expects rioting regardless of what verdict is determined by the jury...

I will say, watching the questioning of witnesses (and reading the opinion of each day of the trial from the point of view of a lawyer with 20+ years experience in cases regarding "use of force" (which includes "self defence")), the trial certainly is interesting, and seeing what witnesses\evidence the defence put forward will be interesting, as well.

As a side note, testimony is expected to be complete by the end of the week, with closing arguments and jury deliberation (with sequestration) to begin next week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 6:23 am

Brictoria wrote:
The officer resigned before the trial even began .

That's even worse isn't it ? sounds like he panicked before anything was bought to the table

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

That's even worse isn't it ? sounds like he panicked before anything was bought to the table

If the woman who shot Daunte Wright had resigned after 25 years on the force, he would be alive today.

There's nothing wrong with resigning when public events lean towards stealing your retirement pension.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

From this, it is very apparent you didn't read what was posted...
Quote:
The former officer said he was up for retirement soon and worried about his safety in what he predicts will be "riots and more destruction" when the jury reaches a verdict, which could happen this month. Chauvin's trial in Minneapolis began March 29.

"If Minnesota had the death penalty and Chauvin got it, people in Minneapolis are still going to riot," the officer said. "They're still going to burn the city down."

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:12 am

The Left understands that political violence works and that is why they use it. This officer is wise to get out while he can and not be a party to the political theater.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:05 am

This officer also says Chauvin did not commit a crime, and Floyd died of a drug overdose.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-minne ... 46324.html

Be the hero of your life.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:22 am

So this is an opinion piece from an unnamed source.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:27 am

Feyokien wrote:

That's an accurate assessment of the Insider piece. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:13 pm

Feyokien wrote:

He was a use-of-force Minneapolis police trainer.

He says he never trained officers to put their knee on a suspect's neck.

He says Chauvin violated police protocol for using his knee.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:49 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

From this, it is very apparent you didn't read what was posted...
Quote:

I read, he is up for retirement so wants to shoot his mouth off as he has nothing to lose. It's not like he's sacrificing anything as his pension isn't going to be cut. He comes off as a coward.

It's funny to compare that no officer at the capitol riots ever resigned because they felt their life was in danger from rioting MAGAs. Instead they were busy taking selfies and putting out the red carpet. Only one officer was cited for heroic action during the capitol riots and he was black.