Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/08/o ... rk-island/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:44 pm

I wonder if there are a million ghosts there.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

What a story. Sounds like the basis of some documentary. Almost too pathetic to believe.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 2:55 pm

Error 404!
The page you requested does not exist or has moved.

I guess I'm too late.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 2:59 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Error 404!
The page you requested does not exist or has moved.

I guess I'm too late.
It seems to have been a bait-and-switch -- No article, but an opportunity to sign up for their service.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 3:03 pm

Well both the thread and the article are from 2014. Fortunately someone archived it at the time:

https://archive.is/gCYeB

Most New Yorkers don’t even know it exists. But a million forgotten souls are buried in mass graves dug by convicts on a tiny, forbidden island east of the Bronx.

Since 1869, still-born babies, the homeless, the poor and the unclaimed have been stacked one upon the other, three coffins deep, on Hart Island.

Corpses are interned in great, anonymous trenches. There are no tombstones. Small white posts in the ground mark each 150 adult bodies. A thousand children and infants are buried together per grave.

It is one of the largest cemeteries in the United States. And the least visited.

The men doing the digging are convicts from Rikers Island, petty offenders tasked with carrying bodies to their final resting place.

Nearly 1,500 fresh corpses arrive each year, says visual artist Melinda Hunt, who heads the Hart Island Project, which campaigns to make the cemetery visible and accessible.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 3:28 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 3:30 pm

So these mass graves were actually well-known, and were not recently "discovered" by anyone except some foreign source of hack "journalism" looking to increase the visibility of their masthead.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 4:47 pm

It's well-known to New Yorkers.

It's our "Potter's Field." The place where unclaimed folks are laid to rest.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 8:53 pm

Yeah I've heard of that place before.

Potter's fields are nothing new. The government has to do something with corpses that no one else wants. I guess nowadays they are mostly cremating, though.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:59 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Island_(Bronx)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 4:47 am

Beware of Zombies: The Grim Origins of Washington Square Park - New York Public Library

Quote:
Centered on Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village is a neighborhood made legendary by the world famous artists, musicians, and writers that have flourished and created within steps of its arch. However, what lies beneath that splendid, recently re-landscaped and renovated outdoor sanctuary is a bit more morbid.

In his 2003 book Around Washington Square, Luther S. Harris posed the question, “What had made Greenwich Village such an important seedbed for the growth and flowering of culture in New York City, the United States, and indeed the world?” Could it perhaps have been the fertilizing effects of the 20,000 or so human corpses that still lie beneath the park?

n its 2005 Archaeological Assessment of Washington Square Park [PDF download], the New York City Parks and Recreation Department confirms that corpses “possibly numbered as many as 20,000 and it appears these burials remain under varying depths of fill.” In the popular guidebook Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City by Michelle Nevius and James Nevius, the authors detail, “While estimates vary, it seems likely that over 20,000 people were buried in the land.... The bulk of the bodies were never disinterred, which means that they remain to this day under the grass and pavement of Washington Square.”

So, how did those bodies get there? In 1797, the quickly expanding New York City government purchased a portion of an old farm for $4,500 to create a potter’s field—a burial ground for the indigent, poor, criminals, and victims of epidemic. The potter’s field operated for almost thirty years and occupied what is now the eastern two-thirds of Washington Square Park. It also happened to be adjacent to several established church cemeteries, adding to the area’s body count. In Around Washington Square, Harris commented that this area was a “natural choice for such bleak facilities because it was a rural northern suburb of the city and already the site of cemeteries owned by downtown churches.”

Hundreds of people who could not afford to be buried privately were laid to rest in the field. Soon, the city sheriff erected a public gallows, near the current location of the Square’s fountain. Three-quarters of a mile away was a prison on the Hudson, which Harris describes as “another source of supply for field and noose.” What ultimately put the burial ground over capacity were the series of epidemics of yellow fever which struck in the years 1797, 1798, 1801, and 1803. This caused the city to seek and create a new, larger potter’s field at the current site of Bryant Park. (The bodies in Bryant Park were however relocated to Ward’s Island, and may still be there...)

Initially called the Washington Military Parade Ground and used to celebrate the 50-year anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the square’s moniker was soon shortened by the press to “Washington Square.” Naming public facilities after George Washington was extremely popular at the time, especially in conjunction with an Independence Day celebration. Landscaping, street work, and construction of fine houses soon followed. Some skeletons were even unearthed during this process, although there were no wide-scale efforts to completely disinter the crowded burial site.

The square did achieve Mayor Hone’s goal of raising the property values around it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Apr 2021, 8:10 am

Locked by request of OP.