Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 9:30 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
The police and the community are the victims of criminals like Daunte Wright and Jacob Blake. Let's not blame the real victims and let's not make criminals out to be martyrs. Let's also not tolerate the lies and allow these events to be used to divide people in an obvious attempt to start a race war.

Its easy to project your own values on AAs when you aren't a member of the African American community.

African Americans have been dealing with racist police for 100 years. The current generation of children are taught by parents to beware of police as they know they risk arrest or violence for driving in a vehicle or even walking on the street.

BTW they also have a history of tension with Korean, Indian and Arab store owners who consistently choose to open stores in black neighborhoods, overcharging, disrespecting and racially profiling customers.

While it's quaint to say you don't see race, I'm afraid you and I don't get to decide how a black person perceives the threat police pose. The actions of officers like Kimberly Potter don't exactly help the police in removing their existing reputation.

Your assumptions about my skin color perfectly make my point. Deciding guilt or innocence or motive based on skin color whatever it may be leads to division, hate and violence. It has to end.

What assumption did I make? didn't you say you were Korean in another thread?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 9:35 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
The police and the community are the victims of criminals like Daunte Wright and Jacob Blake. Let's not blame the real victims and let's not make criminals out to be martyrs. Let's also not tolerate the lies and allow these events to be used to divide people in an obvious attempt to start a race war.

Its easy to project your own values on AAs when you aren't a member of the African American community.

African Americans have been dealing with racist police for 100 years. The current generation of children are taught by parents to beware of police as they know they risk arrest or violence for driving in a vehicle or even walking on the street.

BTW they also have a history of tension with Korean, Indian and Arab store owners who consistently choose to open stores in black neighborhoods, overcharging, disrespecting and racially profiling customers.

While it's quaint to say you don't see race, I'm afraid you and I don't get to decide how a black person perceives the threat police pose. The actions of officers like Kimberly Potter don't exactly help the police in removing their existing reputation.

Your assumptions about my skin color perfectly make my point. Deciding guilt or innocence or motive based on skin color whatever it may be leads to division, hate and violence. It has to end.

"Deciding guilt or innocence or motive based on skin color" - isn't that a form of racial profiling?

Quote:
Racial or ethnic profiling is the act of suspecting, targeting or discriminating against a person on the basis of their ethnicity or religion, rather than on individual suspicion

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_profiling

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm

Brictoria wrote:
"Deciding guilt or innocence or motive based on skin color" - isn't that a form of racial profiling?

To me it goes way beyond racial profiling. Racial profiling is about suspicion. That suspicion leads to targeting and investigation of an individual without evidence only because of their race. Guilt, innocence and motive would then be determined based on evidence, not assumed based on skin color.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Quote:
Racial or ethnic profiling is the act of suspecting, targeting or discriminating against a person on the basis of their ethnicity or religion, rather than on individual suspicion

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_profiling

Where did I decide guilt/innocence based on skin colour?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 1:15 am

Since those who made accusations against me ran away (as usual)

Let's hear from an actual African American how things are for them.....

It's quite something for a white police officer who to pepper spray a serving army lieutenant but to make matters worse the maniac also screamed that he's a army veteran. So much for respecting those who serve.
Before you defend him this cop has also been fired from the force.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Since those who made accusations against me ran away (as usual)

Well, you did only leave 2 1/2 hours between asking and making the above comment - Not everyone lives in the same timezone as you do, and there is the possibility that they may have gone offline between whenever they made the comment(s) containing accusations against you which you are concerned with and so haven't been online to see the prior post yet, and therefore have not been in a position to reply... As such, accusing them of running away seems highly judgemental.

cyberdad wrote:
Let's hear from an actual African American how things are for them.....

It's quite something for a white police officer who to pepper spray a serving army lieutenant but to make matters worse the maniac also screamed that he's a army veteran. So much for respecting those who serve.
Before you defend him this cop has also been fired from the force.

Context helps with understanding events... Maybe have a look at this analysis of what occurred, from a former police officer, explaining what is occurring and the reason behind it:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:29 am

the so-called "Reasoning" must not be too important since they decided to fire the unprofessional flatfoot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 4:30 am

Law enforcement: Over 20 arrests made during protests Wednesday in Brooklyn Center

Quote:
Law enforcement officials with Operation Safety Net report about 20 arrests were made Wednesday night in the Twin Cities as protests broke out over the shooting death of 20-year-old Daunte Wright.

According to Col. Matt Langer with the Minnesota State Patrol, a total of 24 people were arrested.

Langer said the charges could vary from curfew violations to probable cause riot.

Minnesota Department of Safety Commissioner John Harrington said no cases of looting were reported in Brooklyn Center or the surrounding area.

According to Harrington and Langer, at points during protest, demonstrators were throwing items at law enforcement officers at the scene.

A KSTP reporter at the scene reported that flash-bang grenades and irritants were deployed by police to disperse protesters.

'It's absolutely terrorizing': Residents near Brooklyn Center unrest rattled by clashes, tear gas
Quote:
Gino Fiebelkorn has taken to sleeping during the day, when the crowd outside his apartment is mostly camera crews and reporters. But by evening, he starts prepping for another night "in a war zone."

He tapes up the back door frame of his garden-level apartment on Humboldt Avenue in Brooklyn Center — an attempt to keep out clouds of tear gas that have filled his neighborhood since Sunday night. And then he stations himself at the apartment building's back door, prepared to pull in injured protesters and ward off troublemakers.

"It's absolutely terrorizing," he said as he wiped away welling tears. "I moved across from a police station because I thought it'd be safe."

Fiebelkorn lives in Sterling Square Apartments, which is a group of four buildings with about 50 apartments directly across from the Brooklyn Center Police Department.

Law enforcement officers have clashed with the protesters, using tear gas, flash-bang grenades and projectiles to clear the crowds. For those living in the apartments nearby, that has meant finding bright green marking rounds and gas canisters landing on their balconies. It has meant sleepless nights of trying to watch through windows while fearing a projectile will fly through the glass. And even for those residents who did try going to bed, the coughing caused by the tear gas was often enough to keep them awake.

"My place smells like smoke and there are times when it's hard to breathe," said Jamiya Crayton, 24. She's been stuffing wet towels around her windows, but it's not enough, she said.

Then there's the noise. The flash-bang grenades are piercing. So is the crowd. People yell, and military vehicles rumble across the yard right under Crayton's balcony, leaving deep tracks in the mud.

Crayton's sisters, 11-year-old twins, are both on the autism spectrum and sensitive to loud sounds. They spent most of Tuesday night pacing the apartment, hands over their ears. On Wednesday afternoon, Crayton got a phone call from her sister Janavia's social worker at school, who said Janavia was agitated, repeating over and over again that her house was blowing up.

"Explaining to them is so hard," Crayton said. "I just keep having to say to them that no one is trying to hurt us."

She's also been trying to convince her 3-year-old daughter, Samaya.

"She's terrified of police," Crayton said. "She doesn't want to be at home."

On Wednesday afternoon, staff from Monarch Investment and Management Group — the company that has owned Sterling Square Apartments since February — met with residents to let them know they could seek out a hotel voucher at the Brooklyn Center Community Center.

By Wednesday afternoon, the only damage to the property was a single broken window, an anti-police message spray-painted on a sign and the tire tracks on the lawn.

"We're grateful for that and for the residents who themselves have done a great job of cleaning up," Hamilton said.

Duane Westphal, who lives in a home next door to the Police Department, spent Wednesday picking up rubber bullets strewn across his front yard. He also noticed that several landscaping bricks and pavers had been taken.

"I was raised in the '60s and remember the riots then, but I've never experienced anything like this," he said. He went to a friend's home on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to escape the chaos and get some sleep.

"I just didn't know what was going to transpire, but I knew it wasn't going to be good," he said.

Crayton said despite the fear of demonstrations turning into something ugly after dark, she's hopeful to see so many people gathering to call for change.

"I have a lot of respect for the peaceful people out there," she said. "And all I can say is that all of this has to — needs to — change."

Fiebelkorn agreed. He's been hanging a large American flag on his patio, hoping it can be a symbol of peace and unity, even through the haze of tear gas that often makes it hard to see across the apartment parking lot.

"This is a tragedy all the way around," he said. "And here I am worried about my home and my life. That shouldn't be happening."

Bolding=mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman