Walking around Times Square with AK-47 dad killed by cops

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,846
Location: Long Island, New York

17 Apr 2021, 4:16 am

Ohio Teen Arrested in Times Square Station With Semi-Automatic Rifle and Ammo Rounds:

Quote:
A teenager from Ohio was arrested after being found with an unloaded semi-automatic rifle and ammunition in a bag while at a busy midtown subway station, law enforcement officials tell News 4.

The man, identified by several law enforcement sources as Saadiq Teague, was apprehended by officers at the subway station in Times Square around 12:45 p.m. Friday near the A/C/E line, the officials said.

A pair of NYPD officers performing a station inspection spotted Teague as he took the unloaded weapon out of his bag and placed it on the ground, in plain sight. The officers approached and questioned him before taking him into custody, the officials said.

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea later tweeted a photo of the firearm that police found with the suspect, identifying it as an AK-47. Teague was charged with four counts of criminal possession of a weapon, and criminal use of drug paraphernalia.

Three senior law enforcement officials said Teague is the son of Andrew Teague, who was killed in a wild police chase and shootout on an Ohio highway in March. His father had been wanted for an alleged assault in February.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,068
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

17 Apr 2021, 4:32 am

Would this have been less likely to happen with an assault weapons ban?


_________________
My WP story


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,846
Location: Long Island, New York

17 Apr 2021, 5:59 am

MaxE wrote:
Would this have been less likely to happen with an assault weapons ban?

Man from Ohio with semi-automatic rifle inside Times Square subway station arrested, charged
Quote:
Teague was sitting on the ground, charging his cell phone, and the gun was in plain view, according to police. He told police the gun is registered in Ohio and it was not loaded.

Officers found ammunition in a bag next to him.

The man told officers he believed his possession of the weapon was legal in the city because it was registered and not loaded.

Police say he had an Ohio identification in his possession.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,068
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

17 Apr 2021, 9:24 am

I don't get the point of your response. It seems the police identified this as an AK-47. According to Google that is an assault rifle (now sorry I did the search) although there is apparently a "civilian" version that's semi-automatic. I had the impression there's an after market way to modify these. Is it your premise this kid did nothing wrong? I think most people in NYC would disagree with that.


_________________
My WP story


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,862
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

17 Apr 2021, 2:18 pm

MaxE wrote:
I don't get the point of your response. It seems the police identified this as an AK-47. According to Google that is an assault rifle (now sorry I did the search) although there is apparently a "civilian" version that's semi-automatic. I had the impression there's an after market way to modify these. Is it your premise this kid did nothing wrong? I think most people in NYC would disagree with that.


It's not as easy to modify most semi-autos into autos as some people think. Typically those civilian models are a different internal design from mil-spec versions. They still fire as fast as you can pull the trigger though.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,068
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

17 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I don't get the point of your response. It seems the police identified this as an AK-47. According to Google that is an assault rifle (now sorry I did the search) although there is apparently a "civilian" version that's semi-automatic. I had the impression there's an after market way to modify these. Is it your premise this kid did nothing wrong? I think most people in NYC would disagree with that.


It's not as easy to modify most semi-autos into autos as some people think. Typically those civilian models are a different internal design from mil-spec versions. They still fire as fast as you can pull the trigger though.

Well I'm woefully ignorant of firearms, nevertheless I still don't see why a city like New York can't make it illegal to be carrying one around in the Subway.


_________________
My WP story


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,846
Location: Long Island, New York

17 Apr 2021, 3:00 pm

MaxE wrote:
I don't get the point of your response. It seems the police identified this as an AK-47. According to Google that is an assault rifle (now sorry I did the search) although there is apparently a "civilian" version that's semi-automatic. I had the impression there's an after market way to modify these. Is it your premise this kid did nothing wrong? I think most people in NYC would disagree with that.

I was posting facts that point toward your theory being correct.

Since he registered it legally in Ohio if there was an assault weapons ban there it might have been less likely to happen.

MaxE wrote:
Well I'm woefully ignorant of firearms, nevertheless I still don't see why a city like New York can't make it illegal to be carrying one around in the Subway.

It is illegal to possess an assault weapon in New York. It is illegal to carry any gun openly on the sidewalks of New York.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,068
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

17 Apr 2021, 3:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I don't get the point of your response. It seems the police identified this as an AK-47. According to Google that is an assault rifle (now sorry I did the search) although there is apparently a "civilian" version that's semi-automatic. I had the impression there's an after market way to modify these. Is it your premise this kid did nothing wrong? I think most people in NYC would disagree with that.

I was posting facts that point toward your theory being correct.

Since he registered it legally in Ohio if there was an assault weapons ban there it might have been less likely to happen

Sorry I sincerely did not get your point. My take (on what you said) was he was an Ohio resident and the state of Ohio had certified his right to possess it, so the NYPD had no Constitutional right to take it away from him.

But then it was arguably not an assault weapon in the first place, just a rifle, although the fact that it's indistinguishable to the average person from a real assault rifle might cause city folk in the Subway some understandable consternation so I still think he should have left it in Ohio (what did he need it for in NYC anyway, was he maybe trying to get arrested so he could prove his point in court?)


_________________
My WP story


aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2019
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 869
Location: Australia

18 Apr 2021, 5:50 am

The article said he was the legal owner of the gun, so I'm assuming that implies it was a semi-automatic.

I'm from Australia and semiautomatic rifles are completely illegal to own for the regular citizen.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,862
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

18 Apr 2021, 11:06 am

I hope he gets the help he needs.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う