George Floyd Mural Destroyed by Lightning.

Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's not a racist symbol, it's just a pro-police brutality symbol. See Sweetleaf, that's much better. 8)

Who is most likely to be on the receiving end of police brutality?

Shh, you're not supposed to ask that otherwise it gets exposed as a racist symbol. :wink:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 6:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's not a racist symbol, it's just a pro-police brutality symbol. See Sweetleaf, that's much better. 8)

Who is most likely to be on the receiving end of police brutality?

Shh, you're not supposed to ask that otherwise it gets exposed as a racist symbol. :wink:

Oh. Say no more. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:05 am

Brictoria wrote:
I doubt many of those who "protest evolution" would really care what those who belive in it have to say on the subject of what the "original Adam" looked like

I don't,
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... supremacy/

You can pretend amnesia but every white American christian believed the following till the 1950s

"At the heart of white evangelical creationism is the mythology of an unbroken white lineage that stretches back to a light-skinned Adam and Eve. In literal interpretations of the Christian Bible, white skin was created in God's image. Dark skin has a different, more problematic origin. As the biblical story goes, the curse or mark of Cain for killing his brother was a darkening of his descendants' skin. Historically, many congregations in the U.S. pointed to this story of Cain as evidence that Black skin was created as a punishment."

It explains why a scary number of white christians still believe in a white adam
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... n-america/

As usual Brictoria this demonstrates science destroys right wing fantasy

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:26 am

And if we don't start respecting the planet more, we all die but that one is real thing. Like anyone who does not think we are potentially killing the planet is naive, I mean there are severe heat waves in places that did not get them before, sure people are dying of the covid, but many people have died from simply getting too hot. And if they get heat exaustion or thins like that some may not be able to get medical help in time. And I hear the oceans are suffering somewhat fro this as well.

Why do people care about what mural or this is being destroyed when the big issue, is we are destroying the planet that we depend on. LIke at this point the global warming is done, its going to happen scientists said this since the 70's and no one bothered to listen to them. And now the bloody planet is litterally right now dyin or at least starting to become inhospitable to life in some places and what do we have rising facism instead of any kind of plan to reverse the way we are going towards making the planet inhabitable. Like it is just normal conversation now for people to talk about trash cans melting in some state like it's just normal. It's like 'NO NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL. it will never be normal again...so stop freaking expecting that and get your goddamn vaccine.

But even with people getting the vaccine the oil dependeny is still doing harm and with all the forest fires, I figure tons of people are breathing in unhealthy things from smoke they cannot avoid from all the fires. like 20 years ago things were not like this. Even the police are giving up I guess you have to respect them unjustifiably murduring people for them to even want to bother addressing actual crimes,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 4:52 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
And if we don't start respecting the planet more, we all die but that one is real thing. Like anyone who does not think we are potentially killing the planet is naive, I mean there are severe heat waves in places that did not get them before, sure people are dying of the covid, but many people have died from simply getting too hot. And if they get heat exaustion or thins like that some may not be able to get medical help in time. And I hear the oceans are suffering somewhat fro this as well.

Why do people care about what mural or this is being destroyed when the big issue, is we are destroying the planet that we depend on. LIke at this point the global warming is done, its going to happen scientists said this since the 70's and no one bothered to listen to them. And now the bloody planet is litterally right now dyin or at least starting to become inhospitable to life in some places and what do we have rising facism instead of any kind of plan to reverse the way we are going towards making the planet inhabitable. Like it is just normal conversation now for people to talk about trash cans melting in some state like it's just normal. It's like 'NO NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL. it will never be normal again...so stop freaking expecting that and get your goddamn vaccine.

But even with people getting the vaccine the oil dependeny is still doing harm and with all the forest fires, I figure tons of people are breathing in unhealthy things from smoke they cannot avoid from all the fires. like 20 years ago things were not like this. Even the police are giving up I guess you have to respect them unjustifiably murduring people for them to even want to bother addressing actual crimes,

By curious coincidence those who are celebrating the destruction of this mural also don't believe in climate change

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 7:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
I doubt many of those who "protest evolution" would really care what those who belive in it have to say on the subject of what the "original Adam" looked like

I don't,

You can pretend amnesia but every white American christian believed the following till the 1950s

"At the heart of white evangelical creationism is the mythology of an unbroken white lineage that stretches back to a light-skinned Adam and Eve. In literal interpretations of the Christian Bible, white skin was created in God's image. Dark skin has a different, more problematic origin. As the biblical story goes, the curse or mark of Cain for killing his brother was a darkening of his descendants' skin. Historically, many congregations in the U.S. pointed to this story of Cain as evidence that Black skin was created as a punishment."

It explains why a scary number of white christians still believe in a white adam

And yet now you have creationists saying belief in evolution is racist by conflating evolution with the scientific racism of more than a hundred years ago and also saying the theory of evolution lead to Nazi eugenics.

It seems like creationists have a short memory for their own deeds. They're like "I'm not racist, everyone else is".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I don't,

And yet now you have creationists saying belief in evolution is racist by conflating evolution with the scientific racism of more than a hundred years ago and also saying the theory of evolution lead to Nazi eugenics.

It seems like creationists have a short memory for their own deeds. They're like "I'm not racist, everyone else is".

To be fair, some of those ideas were derived from misunderstandings of evolutionary theory. It's not fair to blame evolutionists today for those misinterpretations because racists used pseudoscience to support their claims, but the issue (at least for some people making the claim) is an inability to understand that evolutionary theory never supported those racist claims and that evolutionists as a whole aren't responsible for how some evolutionists with racist motives many decades ago abused science to make claims of that sort.

It's like blaming all Christians for the Westboro Baptist Church, but there's people who do that too.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 9:03 pm

There seems to be two trains of thought here.

1. White christians who believe in white adam and white heaven (yes that is a reality)
2, scientific racism where scientists up to the 1980s believed in the intellectual inferiority of African and indigenous people

In the case of point 2 it relied heavily on Darwinism where a belief developed that in order to survive the northern climate of Eurasia that Europeans and northern Asians had to evolve and this selected for only the most intelligent. Among the people who believed this include Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Singapore's Lee Kwan Yew.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 9:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:

1. White christians who believe in white adam and white heaven (yes that is a reality)
2, scientific racism where scientists up to the 1980s believed in the intellectual inferiority of African and indigenous people

The third train of thought is from who creationists (who, being unable to prove their own claims put their efforts almost exclusively into slinging mud at evolution) deliberately selecting the worst and most damning ideas they can find that are even tangentially related to evolution.

Not only do they ignore the fact that these ideas were discredited decades or generations ago, they also conveniently leave out the fact that these ideas were discredited by the scientific community, not by creationists.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 4:05 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The third train of thought is from who creationists (who, being unable to prove their own claims put their efforts almost exclusively into slinging mud at evolution) deliberately selecting the worst and most damning ideas they can find that are even tangentially related to evolution.

Not only do they ignore the fact that these ideas were discredited decades or generations ago, they also conveniently leave out the fact that these ideas were discredited by the scientific community, not by creationists.

It follows a pattern,
Disbelief in evolution
Disbelief in climate science
Disbelief in human equality

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:58 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I don't,

To be fair, some of those ideas were derived from misunderstandings of evolutionary theory. It's not fair to blame evolutionists today for those misinterpretations because racists used pseudoscience to support their claims, but the issue (at least for some people making the claim) is an inability to understand that evolutionary theory never supported those racist claims and that evolutionists as a whole aren't responsible for how some evolutionists with racist motives many decades ago abused science to make claims of that sort.

It's like blaming all Christians for the Westboro Baptist Church, but there's people who do that too.
I don't believe in evolution but, if I did I would question how is it possible for all of the varieties of humanity to evolve so differently and yet be identical in the area of mental cognition. If evolution happened we should see as great a diversity in IQ as we do in all other characteristics.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 10:02 am

cyberdad wrote:

In the case of point 2 it relied heavily on Darwinism where a belief developed that in order to survive the northern climate of Eurasia that Europeans and northern Asians had to evolve and this selected for only the most intelligent. Among the people who believed this include Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Singapore's Lee Kwan Yew.

White Heaven?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 10:33 am

Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

White Heaven?

So where are these people? Have you met them? Talked to them?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 11:46 am

/\I have never met Ronald Reagan or Uncle Ruckus.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 11:51 am

This White Heaven is fine by me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 6:20 am

White heaven on earth (Its called the United States)