Anyone Keeping Up With the January 6th Riot?

Page 7 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 3:56 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think the lawyers for Central Park Karen are also using the autism defence for Amy Cooper in her litigation against her former employer Franklin Templeton. This is despite the fact Amy Cooper has never been diagnosed with any form of mental illness. I'm sure her parents are just as shocked wondering how her supposed diagnosis came out of the blue.

I'm not saying this proudboy isn't on the spectrum but his lawyers might also be hoping to mitigate any criminal offences he committed by watering down his culpability based on circumstantial traits he may (or may not) have.

What it boils down to is this. If a person has autistic traits but is perfectly capable of normal intelligence and normal judgement then should it be circumstantial evidence to avoid jail?

It gets back to a point I made that being high functioning autistic isn't a green light to be racist.

They say autism is a fad. I don’t know about that, but the autism defense is a fad, I hope. We used to have a saying on Wrong Planet “Autism is an explanation not an excuse”. Whatever happened to that? What can I say, I am just another clueless stubborn ok boomer who will never adapt, take me out of my misery and cancel me now(SMH).

Oh dear god, that takes me back. When I was in school, other kids would aggravate my autism and my reactions would piss off the teachers. By the time I got my autism diagnosis, I tried to explain I had autism, but they kept telling me "That's no excuse!" I wasn't making any excuses, but they didn't want to hear me out. All my teachers were so goddamn mean to me and refused to stop the other kids from tormenting me. I hated school so much.

I think a lot of us have been there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[ We used to have a saying on Wrong Planet “Autism is an explanation not an excuse”. Whatever happened to that? .

It's still valid.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 11:03 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd like to know about Chewbacca.

This clown actually sounded like Chewbacca

Maybe that was the look he was going for.

What’s really horrible is that photo will be in history books.

I'm grateful that's how silly America's equivalent to the fascists might end up being remembered. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 2:05 am

Angeli could get a job after prison posing for pictures at Disneyland in his "Shaman" regalia

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:36 am

No, he might gouge a kid’s eyeball tossing his horns around like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Angeli could get a job after prison posing for pictures at Disneyland in his "Shaman" regalia

Great, I'd like to get a picture with him and Robert E Lee in the hall of American traitors.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:18 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/asian-americ ... 59505.html

And here's another hero who succumbed to the psychological trauma of that day.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:22 am

In a statement, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Hashida a hero “who risked his life to save our Capitol, the Congressional community and our very Democracy. All Americans are indebted to him for his great valor and patriotism on January 6 and throughout his selfless service.”

Compare that to what Trump said about the officers
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trum ... ?r=US&IR=T

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:57 am

cyberdad wrote:

In a statement, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Hashida a hero “who risked his life to save our Capitol, the Congressional community and our very Democracy. All Americans are indebted to him for his great valor and patriotism on January 6 and throughout his selfless service.”

Compare that to what Trump said about the officers
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trum ... ?r=US&IR=T

What a tough guy Trump is! :P
Let's see how he'd handle it after trying to hold back a murderous army of lunatics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Let's see how he'd handle it after trying to hold back a murderous army of lunatics.

He lived in a gated community with armed guards 24-7

The only crazed lunatics he sees are his own supporters when he holds his rallies

There are also republicans who called for the killing of democrats prior to Jan 6th who mysteriously aren't arrested. Anyone know why Marjorie Greene isn't behind bars?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

He lived in a gated community with armed guards 24-7

The only crazed lunatics he sees are his own supporters when he holds his rallies

There are also republicans who called for the killing of democrats prior to Jan 6th who mysteriously aren't arrested. Anyone know why Marjorie Greene isn't behind bars?

All true.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Hold back lunatics? Trump's whole schtick is egging on imbeciles. He can't empathize with someone in the position of placing duty above Trump's ego. Those are the bad guys in his mind.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Hold back lunatics? Trump's whole schtick is egging on imbeciles. He can't empathize with someone in the position of placing duty above Trump's ego. Those are the bad guys in his mind.

Agreed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Agreed.

Like, he didn't get away with as much as some people feared, but his behaviour was predictable in 2015 and some of his supporters liked him because of those predictions. Some of those supporters knew exactly how things could unfold and desired that, even if others who supported him were appalled to see those things start to come true.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 7:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Because it is protected free speech
CASE STUDY When Threatening a Politician Is Still Free Speech
Quote:
Two weeks before the 2008 election, a California man left a vicious message about Barack Obama on a Yahoo finance message board. "Re: Obama fk the niggar, he will have a 50 cal in the head soon." He followed it up with another ugly post, which began simply: "Shoot the nig."

There was more to come. On Election Day, the same poster sent disturbing emails about shooting someone that, as one court put it, "would appear to confirm the malevolent nature of the previous statements" - as well as the poster's "own malignant nature."

With Yahoo's help, it traced the messages to the home computer of Walter Bagdasarian, now 49, a resident of La Mesa, Calif. When agents searched his house, they found that he had weapons in his home, including a .50 caliber muzzle-loading rifle - the caliber of bullet the post said would soon be in Obama's head.

In July of 2009, Bagdasarian was convicted of violating 18 USC s 879(a)(3), a federal law that makes it a felony to threaten a major presidential candidate with death or bodily harm. Last week, a federal appeals court in California reversed his conviction - which had gotten him sentenced to 60 days in a halfway house — ruling that his posts did not fall under the law, and that his speech was protected by the first amendment.

United States v. Bagdasarian was the latest attempt by the federal courts to police the blurry line between criminal threats and protected speech — a line that has become more important than ever as the Internet has given rage-filled people unprecedented opportunities to spew hate.

Regardless of how offensive it can often get, the courts are rightly reluctant to let political speech be criminalized. To be convicted under 879(a)(3), it is not enough that someone has made menacing statements. They have to have intended to threaten injury or death, and people viewing the words objectively have to regard them as threatening. In addition to these requirements under 879(a)(3), there is a separate first amendment test: the speaker's words must be a "true threat" — which in this case the court defined as "a statement which, in the entire context and under all the circumstances, a reasonable person would foresee would be interpreted by those to whom the statement is communicated as a serious expression of intent to inflict bodily harm upon that person."

The San Francisco-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruled, by a 2-1 vote, that Bagdasarian's posts did not meet these tests. The majority was deeply unhappy with Bagdasarian - "an especially unpleasant fellow," the court said - and his words. But the judges in the majority also insisted that the posts were not illegal. There was not enough evidence, they said, to find that Bagdasarian actually intended to put Obama at risk, or that a reasonable observer would think that he did. What's more, the posts were not "true threats." The court contrasted Bagdasarian's words with those from another case, in which an enraged discharged employee posted threats like "I will kill you" and "I will personally send you back to the hell from where you came."

On the other hand, threats can go too far. In 2002, the 9th Circuit reviewed a damage award against a website with an online "wanted poster" that included home addresses and other personal information about abortion workers. In that case, a sharply divided court ruled that the website contained "true threats" that were not protected by the first amendment. The court considered not only the words and images but the reality that abortion providers were actually being shot and killed in parts of the U.S. around the same time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 9:06 pm

And there you have the reason why the republicans want free speech.

Trump effectively used free speech in order to attack minority groups which appeals to the republican heartland that he's somehow "not afraid to speak what has been on their minds but they are too afraid to say"

It's a cheap way and indecent way to be popular among conservatives who were fed up candidates the GOP put up and liked the popularism Trump spouted.

Its not the first time GOP politicians threatened to kill democrats. I'm not American but the Australian media published Sarah Palin's use of cross-hairs over democrat Gabby Giffords which almost certainly inspired the person who shot Gabby in the head.

A toxic mix of gun culture and prejudice.