Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

Served papers on my deadbeats today.
They had income.Just didn’t want to pay rent.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:38 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Many small time landlords are suffering under the number of tenants who completely stopped paying rent. Many ppl just stopped paying once they learned they couldn't be evicted. It's rather quite disgusting. I have a very hard time feeling sorry for people who made the choice to screw over others. Some tenants didn't make a choice & fell on hard times, but many did make that choice. Not all landlords are rich, up-in-the-air-from-the-peons, ppl.

What is stupid about not paying rent when you have the money and are still working is they didn't even seem to realize their actions would come back and bite them. Being evicted and also their lease not being renewed.

This eviction freeze was meant to protect tenants who have lost their jobs due to corona so there wouldn't be more homeless people. Instead others abused it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 7:22 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
I think you are missing a zero in the above figure. There are roughly 330 million people living in the US per the last census.

Lol, yes, thank you.

goldfish21 wrote:
Also, isn't the US Census supposed to include EVERYONE? Not just a the few people who are upset with an issue and decide to respond ?

Exactly. I don't know about you guys, but when I hear that a statistic is from the census, I generally feel it is trustworthy. But this pulse survey was more like an NBC News poll. Which is fine, I just wish that had been made clear.

I have no doubt there will be lots of evictions, but not in the ridiculous numbers estimated fom the poll.

And I would like to know more about the jobs. Are these just fast food and other similar jobs created by our new pandemic lifestyle, or are some of them quality jobs? I really don't know. Does anyone else?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:29 am

There are many people facing eviction. Either renters or homeowners with mortgages.

In certain locales, there are moratoria, or extensions of moratoria for one or several months. New York State has an eviction moratorium extending to August 31st. California through September 30th.

There will certainly be many people living in their cars, or in shelters, over the next few months.

One cause is the failure of the giving out of federal rent relief to many people. It’s bureaucratic red tape that’s causing this. The money is there—but it isn’t being given out.

Even if 1/10 of 3 million people actually are evicted, that’s still a helluva lot of people being displaced.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Why would people who've kept up on their rent all be being evicted? Legally?
It was explained to me that some landlords want to make a "clean sweep" and start over again with higher rents for everyone.  It seems that if tenants are left over from when rents were lower, the other tenants start demanding the lower rents, too.  Some landlords are adept at always finding something to cite for an impending eviction, and the threat of an eviction could incentivize an old tenant to sign a new lease with a higher rental rate.  Besides, every lease eventually comes up for renewal, and if the tenant does not want to pay the higher rent, they could always move out.
goldfish21 wrote:
Tomorrow will likely be legal eviction day for my friend's terrible tenant - but that's not covid related; he's just an awful leech - give him an inch he takes 2 country miles types. He has a home, but there's a high probability he's about to lose both of his businesses and thus source of income. He made his bed though, so he can lay in it.
I wish you had documented all of this on video!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Why would people who've kept up on their rent all be being evicted? Legally?
It was explained to me that some landlords want to make a "clean sweep" and start over again with higher rents for everyone.  It seems that if tenants are left over from when rents were lower, the other tenants start demanding the lower rents, too.  Some landlords are adept at always finding something to cite for an impending eviction, and the threat of an eviction could incentivize an old tenant to sign a new lease with a higher rental rate.  Besides, every lease eventually comes up for renewal, and if the tenant does not want to pay the higher rent, they could always move out.
goldfish21 wrote:
Tomorrow will likely be legal eviction day for my friend's terrible tenant - but that's not covid related; he's just an awful leech - give him an inch he takes 2 country miles types. He has a home, but there's a high probability he's about to lose both of his businesses and thus source of income. He made his bed though, so he can lay in it.
I wish you had documented all of this on video!

I see. We have much stricter tenancy laws here. There are a couple things landlords abuse to evict people for - extensive renovations or family moving in. Other than that, there are restrictions on annual rent increases and expired leases go to month-to-month with the same protections for the tenant. If someone gets unjustly evicted and the place is advertised for and re-rented much higher and they get caught, they owe the previous tenant a bunch of money. (moving costs + 3 months I think) etc.

Ha! I wish. Ah well - just finishing breakfast then it's get outta here quickly and be there before the fireworks begin.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 7:20 pm

90% of the US population is now covered under a new eviction moratorium which lasts until October 3rd.

Places that are covered either have “high” or “substantial” transmission of COVID.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 12:54 am

Just posted in The Haven about my friends, a married couple. They were shot and killed yesterday while serving an eviction notice.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:24 am

I do understand your sentiments. Landlords have to make a living, too.

There’s relief for landlords—though it’s not coming fast enough.

The bureaucratic red tape for this rental relief is massive. About 50 billion dollars allocated. Very little has actually been given to actual tenants and landlords.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 10:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do understand your sentiments. Landlords have to make a living, too.

There’s relief for landlords—though it’s not coming fast enough.

The bureaucratic red tape for this rental relief is massive. About 50 billion dollars allocated. Very little has actually been given to actual tenants and landlords.

I'd just like a view into tenant's thinking. I'm in Florida, we're having many new cases everyday. I'm going to work come August 9th, at a new job. I can't stand staying home anymore, it's awful. Best I can tell there are plenty of jobs out there, are some folks who rent actually considering staying inside for the rest of their lives? I don't mean people with comorbidities, I'm curious about regular people who have very little chance of dying from Covid.

With regard to 'relief' I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever make it into the hands of landlords. It'll probably disappear like the funds for earthquake/flood victims.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

CDC is extending the eviction moratorium.

After Biden proposes, CDC issues new 60-day eviction moratorium
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-p ... d=79247382

Be the hero of your life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:23 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Just posted in The Haven about my friends, a married couple. They were shot and killed yesterday while serving an eviction notice.

wuuuuuuut? wow. :/

Respect to whichever Bailiff ends up taking on our case and completing the job.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
People will be evicted.  The processes have already started.  Just about every apartment-dweller I know has received notice that paperwork has been filed, even those who have kept up with their rent payments.

The sad part is that in order to have someplace to stay, they must move in with family or friends, thus increasing potential exposure to the coronavirus, and increasing the likelihood of spreading covid.

The situation is going to get much worse before it gets any better.

How can they be evicted if they have paid their rent?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

wuuuuuuut? wow. :/

Respect to whichever Bailiff ends up taking on our case and completing the job.

I will tell you what this rent fiasco will result in. The fear of this ever happening again will result in permanent structural changes to the housing market and many affordable units will be taken off the market.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 3:44 pm

Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People will be evicted.  The processes have already started.  Just about every apartment-dweller I know has received notice that paperwork has been filed, even those who have kept up with their rent payments.  The sad part is that in order to have someplace to stay, they must move in with family or friends, thus increasing potential exposure to the coronavirus, and increasing the likelihood of spreading covid.  The situation is going to get much worse before it gets any better.
Any sleazy landlords worth their weight in sharkteeth will be able to find some violation of the rental agreement.

Ever throw a party?  Someone said they witnessed public drunkenness, drug use, and immoral behavior.
Got guns?  Someone said one was pointed at them.
Got kids?  Someone said they were engaged in unruly behavior and vandalism.
Got pets?  Same, plus someone said one was sic'ed on them.
Old man?  Someone said they saw him standing at a window wearing only an open bathrobe and a smile.

Even if none of these violations could be proven, just the fact that the complaints are on file may be grounds for non-renewal of the rental agreement.  As long as the proper paperwork is on file, a sleazy landlord can use it as leverage to either up the rent with the old tenant, or charge more rent with the new.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 3:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People will be evicted.  The processes have already started.  Just about every apartment-dweller I know has received notice that paperwork has been filed, even those who have kept up with their rent payments.  The sad part is that in order to have someplace to stay, they must move in with family or friends, thus increasing potential exposure to the coronavirus, and increasing the likelihood of spreading covid.  The situation is going to get much worse before it gets any better.
Any sleazy landlords worth their weight in sharkteeth will be able to find some violation of the rental agreement.

Ever throw a party?  Someone said they witnessed public drunkenness, drug use, and immoral behavior.
Got guns?  Someone said one was pointed at them.
Got kids?  Someone said they were engaged in unruly behavior and vandalism.
Got pets?  Same, plus someone said one was sic'ed on them.
Old man?  Someone said they saw him standing at a window wearing only an open bathrobe and a smile.

Even if none of these violations could be proven, just the fact that the complaints are on file may be grounds for non-renewal of the rental agreement.  As long as the proper paperwork is on file, a sleazy landlord can use it as leverage to either up the rent with the old tenant, or charge more rent with the new.

For my pants crapping tenant it's a breech of leaving the property vacant for longer than 30 days and asking the neighbours to pimp out their female friends via unwarranted knocks on the doors.

Luckily a trustee pays his rent which I intentionally overpriced (no wonder). It's no surprise I'm dragging my heels with evicting him but I have a few grounds to boot him out with.

I suppose my case is not sleaziness. Even other tenants in the street want him evicted but yeah, a tenant paying rent can still be evicted.